Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Factory Daytime Running Lights - Focus Mk2 Mk2.5, C-Max

Pidu

I find this at the you tube if someone want to enable the factory daytime lights

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Would anyone know what make these DRL are and are they easy to fit please?

post-70826-0-42419300-1451383733_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello from Brazil.

I have a mk2,5 and I'm trying to do this on my Focus. I'm not sure if will work, 

Here DRL just became mandatory and I found this DIY that could help me.

By now, I put the relay R15 and the fuses 135 and 113, but do not work. Next I will look for the C96. 

Sorry for dig up the topic rs

For those of you struggling with the fuse/relay setup, I purchased a very clever device that I fitted to my old MK2 Mondeo.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261678731977

It works on the high beams like what all new fords come with, vw etc. But they also do a dipped beam version too.

For those of you struggling with the fuse/relay setup, I purchased a very clever device that I fitted to my old MK2 Mondeo.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261678731977

It works on the high beams like what all new fords come with, vw etc. But they also do a dipped beam version too.

It look great, but the factory drl works just like this module, the only diference is high beam and low beam... And is no need extra module, just a jump wire in the c96 conector.

Enviado de meu Lenovo A7010a48 usando Tapatalk

I have HID dipped beam on my 2.5 2008 so i'm guessing the conversion above isn't going to be suitable, but i was puzzled to read a quote from somewhere in one of whysky's posts above;

"On vehicles with autolamps, retrofitting with daytime running lamps is not permissible, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on".
"On vehicles with autolamps, the daytime running lamp fuse must not be fitted, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on".

I assume the above scenarios are using the cars actual dipped beam as DRL's as opposed to separate LED DRL's? 

Obviously there are different kits, systems and ways of fitting aftermarket LED DRL's and i'm not an auto electrician, but having fitted aftermarket DRL's to two of my previous cars, none of which had Auto lights switch, there was a relay which operated the DRL's when the ignition came on and when the engine was turned off, the relay turned the DRL's off too.

I know this thread is about converting / activating part of the system that is already there, but even with the lights on Auto, surely when the engine is turned off the lights will also go off, that is to say, how can the lights keep the engine running?  

The reason i ask is that I have Auto light switch and the dipped beam comes on in the dark automatically and in tunnels etc and then switches off when i turn the engine off. 

So I've seen these on AliExpress and these on ebay and was thinking, that as i have a fuse position (but no fuse) for DRL's in my fusebox, does that mean that there is wiring there for DRL's, and if so, surely the above two ideas might be easy to fit as separate DRL's. If that makes sense? It's an expensive way of doing things but...

I did also see somewhere but lost the link now, for a kit of replacement fog lights that have combined fog lights and DRL's in them which also looked like a good option. 

38 minutes ago, Brucester said:

I have HID dipped beam on my 2.5 2008 so i'm guessing the conversion above isn't going to be suitable, but i was puzzled to read a quote from somewhere in one of whysky's posts above;

"On vehicles with autolamps, retrofitting with daytime running lamps is not permissible, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on".
"On vehicles with autolamps, the daytime running lamp fuse must not be fitted, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on".

I assume the above scenarios are using the cars actual dipped beam as DRL's as opposed to separate LED DRL's? 

Obviously there are different kits, systems and ways of fitting aftermarket LED DRL's and i'm not an auto electrician, but having fitted aftermarket DRL's to two of my previous cars, none of which had Auto lights switch, there was a relay which operated the DRL's when the ignition came on and when the engine was turned off, the relay turned the DRL's off too.

I know this thread is about converting / activating part of the system that is already there, but even with the lights on Auto, surely when the engine is turned off the lights will also go off, that is to say, how can the lights keep the engine running?  

The reason i ask is that I have Auto light switch and the dipped beam comes on in the dark automatically and in tunnels etc and then switches off when i turn the engine off. 

So I've seen these on AliExpress and these on ebay and was thinking, that as i have a fuse position (but no fuse) for DRL's in my fusebox, does that mean that there is wiring there for DRL's, and if so, surely the above two ideas might be easy to fit as separate DRL's. If that makes sense? It's an expensive way of doing things but...

I did also see somewhere but lost the link now, for a kit of replacement fog lights that have combined fog lights and DRL's in them which also looked like a good option. 

The quote "On vehicles with autolamps, the daytime running lamp fuse must not be fitted, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on" ir not true. I have a Focus with autolamps and I have fitted the DRL fuse on fusebox, and nothing goes wrong. In Fact, nothing works because I didn't check the C96 connector. 

In a video posted previously, a Focus with autolamps is shown and nothing goes wrong again. 

I'm still trying to activate the factory DRL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

First, thanks you all for this DIY. It works even in Brazilian Focus(actually, in Latin American).

We don't have the original resistor wire, but with a simple wire the DRL works great.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all.

I drive a Mk3 2014 Focus, and this mod looks too simple to not be replicated in my car. However, I am absolutely not familiar at all to car electrics.

So, to avoid a disaster, I would like to request a kind support to someone please explain what the items below exactly corresponds to in the Mk3 Focus:

1) C96 (big green next to the fuses) pin 1 and pin 26.

What connector and pins should I use in the Mk3?

2) What are the fuses used for?

F110/F45 (10A fuse)

F135/F48 (20A fuse)

F113/F71 (10A fuse)

3) Relay no. R15

What position should Mk2/Mk2.5`s R15 be in the Mk3 fuse/relay box?

With these information on hands, I will try the mod to the Mk3 and let you know the result.

Thanks in advance.

This type of daytime running lights is not option on the MK3, I believe. All you can get is to get all lights to light up when you turn the key in ignition to position II, with the lights knob in position "0". I'm not sure here which fuse/relay needs to get where...

For Mk3 is better to get either original xenon headlights with integrated DRLs (which of course also requires auto-levelers and headlight washers by law), or you can get 3rd party DRLs of your choice - for example in combination with fog lights. 

Roman, thanks for the reply. Currently I leave the light knob on a position that turns lights on/off with the ignition.
This however, lights the dipped beams and leaves the tail lights also lit, making the "auto lights" function useless. If a set of new fuses, relay and resistive cable could make them like original DRL, it would be great. Certainly not only me would be extremely interested to do it.

Original xenon headlights with integrated DRL, auto-levelers and washers are extremely expensive. None of the aftermarket headlights+DRL nor DRL-only kits have appeal to me. But I will keep searching.

Truly shame that Ford did not make available this function to the Mk3 Focus...

The Focus MK3 does also have the possibility to activate the "Scandinavian Daytime Running Lights" but this does not require a relay, fuses and/or resistor wires.

The "Scandinavian Daytime Running Lights" of the Focus MK3 can simply be softwarematically activated in the Central Car Configuration of the BCM (Body Control Module). However this function makes the Autolights useless. The dipped beam will automatically be switched on when the engine is running regardless of the headlight switch position. 

Jorge do you have an "AUTO" position on your light switch? Or you can just leave the switch in "ON" position and the headlights turn on/off with the car automatically? I'm not entirely sure how is this done on Mk3s...when you have Autolights, do they just light up all the time or just at night? 

I've seen some aftermarket lights for the Mk3s which should have the DRL option, some of them are actually quite good looking, at least to me, I can imagine having them if I had the Mk3. Check out fk-automotive or sw-tuning website for some inspiration, if you didn't already :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Which is the correct ELMConfig settings for both DTRL and Auto Lights to operate together?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, dj.martzian said:

Which is the correct ELMConfig settings for both DTRL and Auto Lights to operate together?  

With standard wiring on a Mk2/2a Focus, this is not possible. The mods at the start of this thread are intended to enable DTRLs on a car with Autolamps, and the GEM (BCM) should be in the normal Autolamp configuration. It is claimed to work, but I have not checked it, and there is some confusion about F113 / F71.

----

The wiring diagram shows a common input used by the GEM (BCM) that is DTRL/Autolamp. And the light switches are different. This GEM input is connected to pin 4 of the light switch, but:

On the Autolamp page, this input is live in headlight & Autolight positions.

On the DTRL page this input is live in Park & Off.

So the GEM settings must be mutually exclusive.

I have looked a bit more at the wiring diagrams, and from them:

1) To activate this DTRL mode in cars with Autolamps: It just needs F135 or F48 (20A), R15 (the DTRL relay) and the resistance wire fitted as described at the start of this thread.

2) F113 or F45 is not needed to be fitted. It simply enables the park position of the light switch to work while the ignition is on if the relevant wire is fitted, or does nothing if not.

3) F110 or F71 should NOT be fitted. This can cause the engine to keep running while the light switch is in the sidelights or headlights positions. (It shorts the battery direct supply to the ignition supply due to the different light switch in the Autolamps version.)

No software alterations are needed.

A rather more difficult mod. can be done to enable full DTRL mode, where the headlights come on in DTRL mode just with ignition on, and light switch off (as well as in Autolamp mode in daylight). The coil feed for R15 would need to come from an ignition supply, and be disconnected from its socket in the GEM. The live side of F110 or F71 would be a suitable ignition supply.

Hi Peter,

Indeed, only F135 and R15 relay are needed to activate the OEM DTRL. Also, no ELMConfig software configuration are performed.

Thank you very much for support.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/6/2012 at 5:11 PM, Pidu said:

Little update to my previous post with description of factory DRL activation.

Resistor wire arrived today. Remember to check before you order as some cars do not need it - it's already there.

06022012783.jpg

06022012784.jpg

I have disconnected car battery in order to fit the wire in connector C96 in the fuse box.

06022012785.jpg

Disconnect C96 and find pin 1 and 26 to insert connectors of resistor wire.

c96.jpg

(example photo from LHD car, in RHD there is very little space)

For cars with xenon lights use standard wire, abt 0,75 square mm. You can use it as well for halogen lights but brightness of the dipped beam will be not reduced in DRL mode.

Connect C96 and fit relay R15.

IMG_1136.jpg

(example photo from LHD car)

In facelift models relay R15 is placed between fuses F129 and F135.

Original Ford relay is way to expansive, standard 4 pin mini relay (make and break) 12V 20A can be used. It looks like this:

relay.jpg

As per Ford there are different relays for cars with halogen lights and xenon lights, but I have read on the internet that people use exactly the same relay for both kinds of lights.

I did not have one, so used mini relay from my previous car I had in a garage - 12V 16A.

I did not insert any additional fuses. In my fuse box there is only 20A fuse F48 (F135 in facelift models), no F45 (F110) and F71 (F113).

Photo of my fuse box:

06022012792.jpg

And this is it, job done.

Turn light switch to "Auto" position. When ignition is turned on dipped beam turns on with reduced brightness. Hard to state percentage of brightness reduction, but it is noticeable. When it gets dark - dipped beam switches to 100% brightness, side lights and tail lights turn on. When there is more light outside - dipped beam switch to DRL mode, after few seconds side lights and tail lights turn off.

This is how it works, at 0:25 you can see the reduction of dipped beam brightness, at 0:36 side lights and tail lights turn off.

http://youtu.be/nMpAoVx3dGs

Looks similar to VW and some of the Audi DRL lights, but they use reduced high beam as DRL.

Please excuse photos and clip quality but I used my mobile to take them.

So what do you say? :)

Hi, can you / anyone post this photos? I want to activate this function on my car and would love to check the photos. Thanks

• 5 months later...

Just completed this addition (doesn't really count as a modification) and it works great. This is on a facelift mk2 with manual lights. I just added the relay and 20A fuse so only the low beams come on at a slightly reduced brightness- no tail lights or dash lighting unless the light switch is turned on (which also gives full voltage to the headlights)

The resistor wire was missing from the green plug, so I soldered one up from a 0.33ohm resistor and a couple of spade terminals- 1/8 and 1/4 inch. The 1/8 isn't quite right but can be made to fit.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, Recently bought a Ford focus 2005 zetec  II DA 1.4 petrol. wiper relay went and there were some other electrical quirks. Brought it to a mechanic he stopped the fuse box for a 2006 Cmax (I think this has GEM) now problem is dipped headlights won't work or daytime running lights. Checked the fuse box the relevant fuses (for daytime lights etc) were not there, tried to put some in but it seems like there's no fuse connection there loose not sitting into any thing any help greatly appreciated ! 

That's 'swopped' not stopped above !! Leo

23 minutes ago, Leo 1 said:

Hi guys, Recently bought a Ford focus 2005 zetec  II DA 1.4 petrol. Wiper relay went and there were some other electrical quirks. Brought it to a mechanic he stopped the fuse box for a 2006 Cmax (I think this has GEM) now problem is dipped headlights won't work or daytime running lights. Checked the fuse box the relevant fuses (for daytime lights etc) were not there, tried to put some in but it seems like there's no fuse connection there loose not sitting into any thing any help greatly appreciated ! 

Hi,

DRL were not standard on vehicles in Ireland and the uk until 2012, it is possible the wiring is not present at the rear of the fuse socket, 

The DRL's pictured above the fog lights on the mk2.5 saw in images above are an aftermarket kit bought from eBay

I just really want my dipped headlights and rear lights to work? Any thoughts thanks Leo

• Like 1

This is what I thought the daytime running lights s were !

This is what I thought the daytime running lights s were !

th.jpeg

1.htm323.gif