Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rough Idle On A 2004 2.0 Tdci

Z3 MON

I personally wouldn't use redex as it strips lubricant from the engine.

Shouldn't be a problem running it and the BG244 at the same time.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z3 MON

• plumbob

• Stoney871

• pragmatix

Yer I know that now lol. I really hope I can sort out the idle issue. It's the only thing letting the car down.

right so this is what she is doing now:

Video (sound required):

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u300/zemonmotorsport/?action=view&current=VIDEO0007.mp4

so i cleaned the egr valve but it wasnt that bad, once re fitted and oil topped up she ran fine on idle for about 5 minutes.

egr valve:

this is the only bit which was badly clogged up:

IMAG0716.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

and the beast:

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

thanks

Dave

Just been for a short motorway blast and was waiting for about 15 minutes on idle and the idle was slowly getting a lot better and then drove a bit more and it went back to being !Removed! again. Ahhh no idea what the fudge is causing this pants idle.

The missus is doing some motorway miles today so we shall see how it goes. I have noticed though when its standing for a few moments there is droplets of black liquid (possible oil) coming from the very front (possibly rad) has a quick look and i cant see anything as there is a cover on the bottom of the car so i have no idea where its coming from.

Really starting to wish i hadnt bought this car as its one thing after another :(

i also noticed last night that when looking at the boot from inside the car there is a massive (couple inch) gap between the rubbers on the boot lid and the chassis (bad accident repair) really anoyed now :(

as long as i can get her running properly then at least i can worry about the cosmetic side later im just soo anoyed at the moment.

so at the moment we have a possible small leak (im hopping a pipe) and its hunting fairly badly (as per previous video)

soooo !Removed! off........

Dave

Could be a leaking intercooler or intercooler pipe

yer thats what i was thinking mate. Just had a look on eBay, the pipe is the same !Removed! price as the intercooler?? lol

never mind, just want to get it all sorted now and then ill be happy and will be able to justify buying some DMB graphics.

i have so many plans but i just want to get her running properly first.

Ok now the symptoms have changed. it still hunts but now only seems to be once its warmed up? im thinking either the BG244 has done its job and there is another issue or this is the BG244 still working its way through and is slowly fixing it.

Now we have done over 100 miles since i put it in but the tank was half full when i p-ut it in and then i topped it up with another quater tank. its now at half a tank again.

The other thing is MPG. I dont have any figures but the car has had a tank and a half since we owned it and is now on half, so that 1 tank used to 260miles? surley this is not right?

Dave

No mate definitely not right.

Mine does about 400 round town and 500 on a run and I have a heavy right foot.

regards

simon

Think you'l find that there is no coil on a diesel - works on compression to fire the diesel, not like the spark on a petrol.

regards

simon

doh, so used to petrols.

I went ahead and bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160720137363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

should be here tomorow so ill run it on the modeo and see what it throws up. I Figure its better than just trying to stab in the dark, i do have that tingly feeling of knowing its going to throw up injector knock tolerence, but theres always hope lol.

I will be doing a full service on payday aswell, as despite the service history stating it was service 3,000 miles ago, judging by the state of the air filter - i doubt it. it will also have a new fuel filter although i am a bit worried about changing this incase she then doesnt start (i will top it up with new diesel first, but have heard cases of even when this is done it still wont start :S )

Ill let you know what codes it throws up if any and ill also let you know if this software/lead is any good.

Cheers

Dave

Will do.

By the way here is what I have so far:

Idle rougher when warm.

Idled well in snowy conditions.

No warning lights.

Knocking noise on idle (sounds like big end kind of noise).

Runs smooth once warm except on idle.

Egr valve cleaned - ran better for 5 minutes.

BG244 used - more powerful than before but only marginly.

No clutch slip

Starts first time every time.

Tappety when cold.

No diesel round injectors.

No smoke.

I am also buying a egr blank valve just to see.

Me, The missus and the boy just been out for a drive. No Set destination, No time limit, no reason........just a good old fashioned drive.

And boy did i buy the right car :)

If you hit that rev range right, then that turbo really gives it some....

Now i want to fix the idle so that it runs better and so she doesnt get damaged, rather than because its anoying me lol.

Its the first real "drive" ive had with her(the mondeo not the missus lol)

Just though id share :)

Just had the weirdest thing happen, just drove 2 miles up road and the fuel gauge between half and quater, stopped turned off, got out, turned on fuel gauge in same position, drove another 3/4 of a mile and then i stalled it at the lights and then turned back on and bam its at 0 petrol with the red light on??????

also does anyone know where the fault code reader plugs in on the mk3?

cheers

dave

Update time:

so the symptoms:

th_VIDEO0008.jpg

Rough idle

Tappety noise from engine

oil/diesel smell inside cabin

down on power

bit smokey when floored

poor mpg

Woooosh noise on boost

still started first time every time, no warning lights,

So firstly: the smokey issue and down on power was resolved by removing the EGR valve and cleaning it and refitting it along with running good quality fuel and a tub of BG244 through the fuel system. (we also noticed an improvement on the MPG a little)

But after that i had no idea what was happening regarding eveything else so the best we could do was say it could be this or could be that untill we could get it plugged into a diagnostic machine. so i thought instead of trying to gusse ill by a OBDII lead of eBay. so i did that and plugged it in this morning and got this:

On Ide:

idlemetricdash.jpg

idle1.jpg

idle_flowandpressure.jpg

idle_temps.jpg

idle_tests.jpg

datalogger.jpg

and then i done it at 2000 RPM:

2000rpm_genraldata.jpg

2000rpm_flowandpressure.jpg

2000rpm_temps.jpg

Basically no fault codes and nothing wrong. so i was like great what a waste of time and money buying this lead snd waiting for it to arrive.

So i decided it must be an exhaust leak, it sounds so loud like a tractor, it has to be.

so jumped in the car and went to my dads to get my tools and axel stands an what not, but he wasnt in nor was he answering his phone.... great i thought, so i decided to go to quick fit and luckly enough got some free time on a ramp, although i wasnt allowed to operate the ramp or work on the car only look(insurance reasons). so i told the bloke i think there is an exhaust leak so on goes the car and up goes the ramp and he covers the end of the exhaust but clearly there is no leak. so we walk to the front and shine his torch up there and bam. there it is making all this noise............ the belt and tensioner for the AC and power steering. bouncing all over the place. so i thought thats great but what about the smell in the car and the whoosh noise. and then right there in the corner of my eye was a boost pipe smothered in oil.

so on monday i shall be calling ford to see what they can do about the belt ~(seeing as they are aware of the issue and have a new part to replace it i expect they will do it cheaper than most other places as effectivley it was a recall due to using a spring thats not suitable for the job)

and also on pay day ill order a new boost pipe. in the mean time the bloke tightened up the assembly for me and got rid of the awfull noise ...for about 20 minutes lol but i knew it was only a quick fix. and he wouldnt let me give him for than £4 for it. ..... result lol

sooooo there you guys.......

ill keep you update regarding when parts get replaced ect to confirm if these were the issues...

See post 32, allways check the basics

indeed, but from above you would not have a clue about this leak lol

Ford want £350ish fitted for the crank pulley and kit ect. :angry: :o

Would you like me to get a price from my mate?

His garage is in Twickenaham, so not too far from you.

If so give me your exact model and reg.

regards

Simon