Photo

Has Anyone Mentioned Mod's To The Insurance???

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: focus zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Just a quick one, has anyone done any modifications to their car and mentioned it to the insurance e.g twin reverse light, led lights, number plate lights??
just wondered if it increaased their insurance and if the insurance company allowed the MOD's??
i have done afew bits to the car but dnt want to void the insurance... i would have thought twin reverse lights w=ould be the safer option especially if reversing on to a main road???
if anyone knows if this wil effect the insurance rough idea on prices would be spot on
cheers in advance for the help!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 17,819 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: 2015 Focus ST3 250BHP
  • Year: 2015
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

I declared a bluefin to mine but probably due to my profession and advanced (high speed pursuit) driving qualifications i didn't have any increase in premiums.
Generally safety improvements like parking sensors / better lights / thatcham approved alarms etc. should reduce premiums, things like lowering / tints / retunes etc. will likely increase them but not as much as you would think.
I'm pretty sure driving qualifications / age / incident free driving years will help to balance it out.
I currently have full no claims and the aforementioned qualifications and my insurance is pretty decent.
One tip to help your insurance levels is to search for sites which can offer you legal alternative employment descriptions that incur lower policy loading.
e.g.

http://www.moneysavi...nce-job-picker/

It is amazing how your postcode can affect your policy too.
My home location pushes my policy up but my works car park (where my car seems to spend most of it's time) as it's very secure brings it back down again.
it really is advisable to declare all mods no matter how small as Insurance Companies love to wriggle their way out of claims on any technicality.
If you're worried about ringing them to report mods, try asking them what effect it will "theoretically" ;) have on your premiums and then weigh up the pros and cons from there.

#3 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I recently fitted white and black leather gaitors for my handbrake and gearstick, and hopefully sooner a friend who's breaking his Zetec-S MK5 is going to give me his steering wheel (which essentially is the same as mine, but is coloured on the sides - I will probably spray these white for my car to match the dials etc). I'm somewhat careful on these sorts of things so I wanted to contact my insurance, they told me that these 'mods' (if you can call them that lol) aren't in the list of "Must be reported to us" so neither will have any effect on my premium.

My sister's boyfriend has a MK5 Fiesta Zetec-S and it's lowered, aftermarket alloys, tinted windows, red and black roof (in the style of a chess board lol), K&N, chipped etc. Anything that could have benen done has been done, is this declared? Nope - but when/if he crashes and claims he will find his insurance won't be so quick to pay out....

Dan

#4 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,341 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3.5 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I declared my Front DRL's , there was no change in my preminum , i have yet to declare my rear parking sensors.
My other lighting Mods were not listed

But i will declare the rear parking sensors and if i make any more changes then i will declare them , like everyone else i could not affors to be without my car in an insurance claim so i always play it safe.

#5 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

cheers for the help guys... i dont pay monthly though i paid my insurance in one hit so i guess if it does increase it will just be a one off payment?
BLIMEY for me to inform them of the modification to have twin reverse lights they want me to pay £40 does tht sound reasonable?

#6 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

cheers for the help guys... i dont pay monthly though i paid my insurance in one hit so i guess if it does increase it will just be a one off payment?
BLIMEY for me to inform them of the modification to have twin reverse lights they want me to pay £40 does tht sound reasonable?

Sounds like they just want to make money out of you!

How can an extra reverse light effect your premium??? , you should not have to pay a thing for that!

#7 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

apparently anything that is not a manufacturers option is not covered... and typically the guy has no clue what im on about anyways he just types a load of rubbish into the computer and it gives him a price... at first i was saying 'oh so you have added a spot light' lol i was like no i havnt got a spot light on the rear of the car lol
but anything that is an option from manufactures just has to be noted down but doesnt affect any cost... so im thinking i may just say that i have swapped the fog lense for a clear one end of lol

#8 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,141 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

seems ill be on the phone for a while to AA insurance in the coming weeks lol may be easier to get them to become a member of the forum and see my guides then give me a quote based on that lol

#9 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

yea its so arkward trying to explain a modification to someone that probably doesnt evan drive haha i dont see how else i can get round this... additional boot light will probs be £40 aswel, custom heater controlls £40 lol footwell lighting is an option so i shouldnt have to pay for those... front and rear S badge i dont evan want to ask lol its ridiculous surely adding a reverse light to the other side of the car is classed as a safety feature?

#10 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,341 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3.5 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Don't forget your DMB stickers £40 each , gonna be cheaper to buy a Farrari and insure that , maybe you just spoke to the wrong person , If the Extra is not listed then they have no grounds to charge. As the reverse light would not be listed they are just trying to add a standing charge by the sounds of it.

#11 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

To be correct, the insurance company should lower your insurance policy for fitting this kind of modification, because in the event of your car being stolen, their are plenty of ford focus on the road, but less than five with dual reverse lights, clear fog unit and fourth brake light in the badge.

#12 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

well they said they dont cover modifications that arnt and option from manufacture then he says £40 haha

#13 Pidu

Pidu

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0 AT
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

This whole thing is strange to me. In other countries I know you do not have to notify insurer about any modifications. The only requirement is to have valid UK MOT equivalent, that means all the modifications are legal, you still pay the same amount of money for insurance.

I checked with my insurer - Tesco - they do not charge extra for reversing sensors, but I do not even want to ask about cruise control :) After all it is factory feature, added by Ford dealer :)

#14 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

well they said they dont cover modifications that arnt and option from manufacture then he says £40 haha

But all the parts you have used are Genuine Ford parts, just manipulated to fit in different areas that the manufacturer hadent though of ;)

#15 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 17,819 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: 2015 Focus ST3 250BHP
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

My sister's boyfriend has a MK5 Fiesta Zetec-S and it's lowered, aftermarket alloys, tinted windows, red and black roof (in the style of a chess board lol), K&N, chipped etc. Anything that could have benen done has been done, is this declared? Nope - but when/if he crashes and claims he will find his insurance won't be so quick to pay out....

On his head be it.
Technically he has invalidated his insurance conditions and as such if involved in a collision or pulled over and his insurance checked he could be classed as uninsured.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users