Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

lammadrama

Do I Need New Shocks/springs

7 posts in this topic

hi all,

i've had my 06' focus tdci for a few months now and have noticed that the ride quality is a bit harsh on uneven roads. i have replaced the tyres as they were on the limit and things have improved a bit.

the car has done 132k and has a full service history. it often crashes over bumps and potholes i'd expect it to take in its stride. the front end sometimes wallows up and down a little bit.

i've read that the focus has a harsher ride than most similar cars, but mine seems a bit too harsh.

my question is, do i need new shocks and/or springs? or is there something else i should get checked?

cheers

if its wallowing the shocks are gone so just as welll getting them done

The Focus ride should not be harsh. Its one of the best in its class whilst maintaining handling capabilities. My old Alfa was harsh. It made me cry everytme I hit a man hole cover or pot hole. I think after 132k miles youve had your monies worth out of the old shocks.

The Focus ride should not be harsh. Its one of the best in its class whilst maintaining handling capabilities. My old Alfa was harsh. It made me cry everytme I hit a man hole cover or pot hole. I think after 132k miles youve had your monies worth out of the old shocks.

Agree with that ,shockers average life span is 75=80k after that they get a bit tired.

thanks for the advice.

should i just change the shocks or the springs as well?

thanks for the advice.

should i just change the shocks or the springs as well?

Just change the shocks,the springs should last the life time of the car,when they get changed the springs will get examined anyway

Hey,

You could also check tie rods (or bar link ?, not a native so i don;t know exactly), and all other fitting around them. So rubber things there ... called "bucsa" (I think it's an adapter sleeve ? or a bushes ?) in my language ?

This will make you car rattle over bumps and potholes but ... i hope i got the names right :D