Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thirst Mondeo

Bigscott71

Thirsty mondeo 1.8 diesel zetec 125(6) 2008 08 plate

Any ideas why so thirsty and what I can do to combat it

Thanks guys/gals

A clue to its mpg will help. Has it just happened? Have you done a proper MPG check not the car computer/

Yeah sort off I cannot fault it on the a roads and mways but around town it's terrible we have only had it since mid dec and had a 2001 tddi before it which was great on fuel so this is weird it's like I can put say £20 diesel in this and after about 150 it's time to top up again but in the older one it was over 225 we are stumped

Dont forget cold weather will make the MPG worse as much as 10%, differnt car different driving style= inconclusive

Do aproper brim to brim MPG check over a few weeks and then you will have a good idea as to your true MPG

i will give it a try but i have a sneaky suspicion that i may have a leaky fuel pipe somewhere but as i am no mechanic i'll have a friend check,the pipes for me,thanks for the help

working on your figures the car is doing around 42/44 mpg which is normal,your old tddi would have to do 70mpg to get 225 miles from £20 of fuel.

The old mondeo was great on fuel it seemed to go forever but I suppose with the new one it's just a case of getting used to it as it does drive a lot different to the old one,maybe it's just us so used to the old one and not giving this one a chance

And sometimes people forget, that 20 quids worth of diesel isn't that much these days... yet we still put £20 of fuel in don't we? It was a fraction over 90p per litre in 1997... So if you averaged say 45MPG, you'd see 218 miles from 20 quidsworth of diesel in 1997...

Today you'd see just 138 miles @ 45 MPG from £20's worth of diesel. That's 80 miles less distance travelled on the same monetary amount of fuel.

Have you kept on top of checking your tyre pressures? That, in conjunction with long winter warm ups do tend to take their toll on economy...

My 2.0 TDCI Focus estate has dropped to just 48.5 MPG this past few months compared to it's usual average of 53 (ish) MPG

Can i just add, that it takes some getting used to TDCI's after TDDI's... Both from a driving point of view, and economy will suffer as a result until you get to grips with it...

I recall being less than impressed with the transistion to TDCI's from my regular old TDDI... Until i learned how to get the best from it! You can make really great progress in a TDCI without exceeding 2000RPM, that driving manner in a TDDi would have been,shall we say... Lethargic?

Right so really daft question coming up

How/what is the best way to drive the tdci and whats the difference between the tddi and tdci

Having never driven a tddi I can only comment on my tdci, I tend to boot it up to cruising speed and then feather the throttle this gives me something like 48mpg on a run at this time of the year, my last 565 miles have been covered at 44.4 mpg mixed driving with some very short journeys less than 3 miles.

To compare it with my C5 2.2 I drove that very gently on the torque the Tdci is more free reving

I found that i stalled the TDCI quite often during the first couple of weeks of ownership, they are less forgiving than TDDI's when pulling off... I tended to hold on to the revs through each gear a bit more with the TDDI to make progress,often almost to the rev limiter i seem to recall... I found myself driving the TDCI in a similar manner at first, then realized that the extra torque made holding onto each gear pointless, and thirsty... It really is a case of bosh, bosh, bosh, the gears out of the way, get to cruising speed and stick to it... With the TDDI it was more a case of bo-o-o-os-s-sh-h-h-(gearchange)b-b-b-b-o-o-o-o-s-s-s-h-h-h (gearchange) ETC.

so its not just me who stalls lol, I either stall in 1 St or reverse its quite embarresing

dont worry i still do it on mine and ive had it a month lol,the clutch is fairly high up on these aswell lol

so its not just me who stalls lol, I either stall in 1 St or reverse its quite embarresing

Especially if you have full lock on then the extra power need for the steering pump makes it very easy to stall

Yeah the clutches are quite high, until i got used to this i thought the clutches were worn out.

I tend to keep my foot covering the clutch at all times and find it very easy to relax and accidentally slip it without noticing.

I could really do with a foot plate beside the clutch pedal - anyone know if one will fit a MK2 Focus without making holes?

I usually always stall at the end of the road turning right lol

Z3 mon that's just like mine does I hate it I look a rite Pratt lol esp as I'm a bus driver