Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi, a 1.6 Ecoboost owner had a similar experience and went back to superchips, they issued him a revised map and now he is happy. My own experience was that I noticed the gains immediately...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: fyl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi, a 1.6 Ecoboost owner had a similar experience and went back to superchips, they issued him a revised map and now he is happy. My own experience was that I noticed the gains immediately...

Very glad to hear that and hope to hear a favourable response from them. One of my friends also had Bluefin with Mondeo Ecoboost and performance gain was also very low after dyno. Will ask him to go back to Superchips as well.

#18 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

One dyno can have completely different results from another, only the actual power getting to the wheels is measured, the crank power is "guessed"

power gains can be very dependant on the condition/ milage of the cars engine etc

Even temprature can make a big difference, the same car on the same dyno can give different results on the same day, morning to afternoon

#19 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Cost wise there fairly simular, remap being around £300 and superchip at £400.

Superchips is/was doing a 20% off promotion so the £400 can be had for £320

#20 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,513 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I was jammy as I bought into a group purchase on special offer via work.
Police spec Bluefin map which is a tested 148bhp average on 3 dyno runs.
It looks like they keep the best maps for the BIB ;)

#21 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

I was jammy as I bought into a group purchase on special offer via work.
Police spec Bluefin map which is a tested 148bhp average on 3 dyno runs.
It looks like they keep the best maps for the BIB ;)

Stoney871 How did your Dyno map look like ? Perhaps I should ask them specifically, give me the police spec map ;) !

The shape of my map before and after bluefin was almost the same except that the peaks were higher. Power/Torque vs RPM climb was also exactly the same until 2.2K when it started to branch higher with bluefin. Does yours start earlier i.e. @ lower RPM / graph shifts to the left a bit with bluefin ? Was expecting a bit of that @ 100/200 rpm lower.

https://lh5.googleus.../s800/dyno2.JPG

Yes, temperature could be a factor indeed but both runs around same temperature. Unless what we are saying is that heatsoak already limited both runs's output. Ambient temperature at where I am is typically around 30-35 degrees C in the afternoon

#22 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,513 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

I have turbo pick up lower in the revs and minimal flat spots below 2k revs.
It runs nice and smooth full the full rev range but 1st gear is still a bit weedy.

#23 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Stoney871 How did your Dyno map look like ? Perhaps I should ask them specifically, give me the police spec map ;) !

The shape of my map before and after bluefin was almost the same except that the peaks were higher. Power/Torque vs RPM climb was also exactly the same until 2.2K when it started to branch higher with bluefin. Does yours start earlier i.e. @ lower RPM / graph shifts to the left a bit with bluefin ? Was expecting a bit of that @ 100/200 rpm lower.

https://lh5.googleus.../s800/dyno2.JPG

Yes, temperature could be a factor indeed but both runs around same temperature. Unless what we are saying is that heatsoak already limited both runs's output. Ambient temperature at where I am is typically around 30-35 degrees C in the afternoon

The bluefin torque curve is a lot "fatter", from 2300 upwards, and a massive gain of 160Nm at just under 3700,
its a shame the power curve doesent keep rising all the way to 4k and above, no point in revving it above 3700 (peak power) (unless you are in top :) )

Its a good shape with an overall rising power characteristerict and extended torque, a significant improvement with barely any drawbacks compared to stock (win- win sort of thing) the map could be revised so the power came in earlier but it may smoke more and the increase in low-down torque may put your DMF under more stress

An exhaust upgrade (DPF delete/ decat larger diameter downpipe/ straight through muffler) may help your power pich-up by helping your turbine to spool up faster,(you can also ceramic coat your/ heatwrap your exhaust manifold) and a freer flowing intake (improved/ gas flowed airbox/ larger freer flowing pipes etc) would help the flow before the turbo has time to spin up (helping bottom end power and improving gas-flow through the range, whilst your compressor/ turbo would not have to work so hard)

A larger, better FMIC helps as well

Finally, fitting a solid EGR blanking plate would help pick-up a little too

Looking at your figures, you must notice an improvement "in real life"?

#24 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

The bluefin torque curve is a lot "fatter", from 2300 upwards, and a massive gain of 160Nm at just under 3700,
its a shame the power curve doesent keep rising all the way to 4k and above, no point in revving it above 3700 (peak power) (unless you are in top :) )

Its a good shape with an overall rising power characteristerict and extended torque, a significant improvement with barely any drawbacks compared to stock (win- win sort of thing) the map could be revised so the power came in earlier but it may smoke more and the increase in low-down torque may put your DMF under more stress

An exhaust upgrade (DPF delete/ decat larger diameter downpipe/ straight through muffler) may help your power pich-up by helping your turbine to spool up faster,(you can also ceramic coat your/ heatwrap your exhaust manifold) and a freer flowing intake (improved/ gas flowed airbox/ larger freer flowing pipes etc) would help the flow before the turbo has time to spin up (helping bottom end power and improving gas-flow through the range, whilst your compressor/ turbo would not have to work so hard)

A larger, better FMIC helps as well

Finally, fitting a solid EGR blanking plate would help pick-up a little too

Looking at your figures, you must notice an improvement "in real life"?

Many thanks for the analysis. Yes I can feel 'real life' improvement actually in terms of the eagerness and stronger pull when accelerating. Btw, just as I was typing this, I just received an email from Superchips that new map is available !!! :) So gonna try it and see.Will provide my feedback after testing it out.

I also have plans to make changes to the exhaust systems (decat) and my EGR blanking plate is on the way :).

#25 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: mondeo TiTx Sport 173
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I want to chip my car but my gfs brother is a car mechanic and if you say use a superchip or anything simular including a tuning box a hexflag will come up within the ecu and these flags cannot be cleared. Car companies do this so if your car is under warranty and you but one of these and install it.. all being well you use it and the car needs a service and they find other things wrong that involves warranty and they've plugged it in. These flags will cone up and they all have individual codes and theses codes say what has been changed/altered. And the car conpay will just laugh at you. But I would love to chip mine. I e got a dog on mine so there's no point as there will be no great difference plus I like having a warranty. But blanking egr valve won't effect warrenty and it won't cause any flags on ecu. I've got a kn on my 1.6tdci and the car is much better in acceleration. But yeah.. sorry to waffle on lol

#26 Alec J

Alec J

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 106 posts
  • Name: Alec
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I know its not my thread,

I have the 2.0L Duratec HE petrol, what sort of gains would i be looking at for a remap / bluefin?

No records on their website

#27 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I know its not my thread,

I have the 2.0L Duratec HE petrol, what sort of gains would i be looking at for a remap / bluefin?

No records on their website

Off the top of my head i think your engine is the 150Ps Duratec HE? also available in 140/145Ps versions, if so the same engine is fitted the the Fiesta ST150,,Mondeo and also one of the Ford people carriers

You could contact Superchips and they may help you

Its a bit confusing because different engines were called "Duratec"

There is a Superchips bluefin for this engine, the ST150 measured 155bhp "Before" and 165bhp "after" - so only a 10HP gain, (and 12Nm of torque) this is typical for NA engines, with smaller gains than turbo engines

It may increase throttle response/ sharpness as well

The NA Bluefins are cheaper - £199 with the 20% off promotion compared to approx £320 for a turbo (but a turbo has bigger gains)

#28 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I want to chip my car but my gfs brother is a car mechanic and if you say use a superchip or anything simular including a tuning box a hexflag will come up within the ecu and these flags cannot be cleared. Car companies do this so if your car is under warranty and you but one of these and install it.. all being well you use it and the car needs a service and they find other things wrong that involves warranty and they've plugged it in. These flags will cone up and they all have individual codes and theses codes say what has been changed/altered. And the car conpay will just laugh at you. But I would love to chip mine. I e got a dog on mine so there's no point as there will be no great difference plus I like having a warranty. But blanking egr valve won't effect warrenty and it won't cause any flags on ecu. I've got a kn on my 1.6tdci and the car is much better in acceleration. But yeah.. sorry to waffle on lol

Good point - there are (at least) 3 ways round the hexflag -

1 - wait untill after the warrantee runs out (so it does not matter) to fit a tuning box or remap

2 - fit a specially calibrated tuning box, that modifies the signal from the MAF sensor enough to increase fuelling for more power/ torque, but not enough to trigger the hexflag - as far as the ECU is concerned the MAF is working within normal parameters, if the box is removed no-one would be "any the wiser"

3 - the ECU is "hacked" or flashed - the chip/ components could be cloned / replaced/ re- written - this may involve phisical tampering / swapping the ECU rather than a regular serial port (OBD11) remap

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users