Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil On Rubber Pipe Focus 1.6 Tdci- Advice Needed

daveyboy123

Hi all.

just checking under bonnet today and noticed that on the rubber pipe ( connected to a plastic box), located above fanbelt /alternator, where the metal jubilee clip is attached there seems to be a bit of wet engine oil around the clip. not too sure what the pipe is? It doesnt seem like loads of oil and isnt dripping from what i can tell. Clip is tight on there. is this ok or do i have a problem? Is this the intercooler hose i have seen lots of threads for or is that something completly different?

Sorry its a bit vague i really am not sure what pipe is what. any help is greatly appreciated.

Dont suppose anyone can post a pic of it on here as then i will know if that is in fact what im looking at?

If it turns of to be leaking intercooler pipe. will it damage car?

Hi I had this problem last week thought nothing of it then the car losed power as the pipe came off its a plastic on plastic part with a rubber gromet umder the hose clip I just used apoxy glue to hold it to gether now so its now just one unit but its fiddly

ah right, so is the part in question the intercooler hose as i'm not too sure which one that is? or is the pipe i am talking about something different? my one seams on there fine, the metal jubille clip is holding it on but as i say there is some oil seeping out of the top where the clip is holding it on. doesn't seem a lot of oil, again its not dripping from what i can tell but if i put my finger on it the oil is wet and jet black.

is this anything to worry about or is it safe to leave? should oil even be in that pipe? what problems if any could this cause?

thanks

I too have some kind of oily substance on a rubber pipe. I have a 1.8tdci, and this oily stuff is on a large bore rubber pipe at the top of the engine. As the OP mentions its not seeping out and dripping, but there is a coating of this stuff, covered with dirt. Pictures say 1000 words, i will post a pic of it tomorrow, when its light. I havnt worried too much about it, car seems to run fine, and gives good MPG (approx 57-60mpg usually, all M-Way driving). Looks to me more like the cack you get on any engine really......

If you can get pictures up it will help..

Sounds to me like a slight boost leak, more commonly known as misting... If this is right, then it shouldn't do any damage, but get the pipes replaced ASAP!

yes please post pic if you can, would be good to see if its the same pipe as mine, i take it it would be in roughly the same place on a 1.8 compared to 1.6?

ok you say it shouldn't do any damage but get pipes replaced asap, whats the long term effects with the longer its left?

is there a temp fix, like can i put some kind of tape around it to stop the leak?

regarding the pipe itself, to get it replaced is this a dealer only job or would any garage be able to supply and fit?

yes please post pic if you can, would be good to see if its the same pipe as mine, i take it it would be in roughly the same place on a 1.8 compared to 1.6?

ok you say it shouldn't do any damage but get pipes replaced asap, whats the long term effects with the longer its left?

is there a temp fix, like can i put some kind of tape around it to stop the leak?

regarding the pipe itself, to get it replaced is this a dealer only job or would any garage be able to supply and fit?

Hi mate,

here is a picture of the 1.6TDCi engine with front mount intercooler.

StoreCar16.jpg

and would it be this pipe?

StoreCar15-1.jpg

if yes,

it is normal to see oil lining the bottom of the hose, i removed mine recently because im fitting a boost gauge to the car, and this pipe is the location i need to tap in to for the boost sensor to obtain a reading.

if you require this pipe, i have found them for sale on eBay germany for £42.00

please not the seller stocks two differnt models so if you tell them 1.6TDCi he should send you the correct one you require mate,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160717032287?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160717032287%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Ah right no its not the one in the picture. so is that arrow pointing to the boost pipe/intercooler hose?

mine doesnt look like that though. seems mine has light brown hose pieces and not one long black piece of hose.

The pipe i am talking about is further left of that picture. if you look at fanbelt and alternator there is a hose going from bottom of car upwards and connects into the plastic box (sorry for not sounding to technical). its at the top part of that pipe that has a little oil around the jubilee clip area.

Ah right no its not the one in the picture. so is that arrow pointing to the boost pipe/intercooler hose?

mine doesnt look like that though. seems mine has light brown hose pieces and not one long black piece of hose.

The pipe i am talking about is further left of that picture. if you look at fanbelt and alternator there is a hose going from bottom of car upwards and connects into the plastic box (sorry for not sounding to technical). its at the top part of that pipe that has a little oil around the jubilee clip area.

Hi mate,

yes the arrow is pointing to the intercooler hose for the return feed, Positive pressure

i now know the hose you are talking about but i dont know what it is for or what it is piped too,

its around 3inches in diameter

StoreCar15.jpg

I think the hose you are on about is the intercooler outlet pipe going in to the plastic box from underneath

heres some pictures of the hose I was referring to. Its connected to the inlet manifold, but on looking this aft, I personally feel its just general gunk, and nothing to be concerned about. What do other people think.....

post-4199-0-55482000-1329598955_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-53059000-1329598971_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-48859900-1329598993_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-76107200-1329599015_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-98230900-1329599057_thumb.jp

Ah thanks everyone for help so angus, should there be oil in that pipe and also is it ok do you think as it is with the small amount of oil that seems to be leaking out?

What exactly does that pipe do?

• 2 years later...

Hello

I have the same Problem

for few month i have changed the original Intercooler Hose,because i want blue silicon Hose.

Every Enginecleaning i wondering, if this Oilfilm where normal or my pipe had a leak.

on this Way, i checked if the Intercooler-Hose fit perfectly and I checked the Hose clamp.

Everythings okay.

Now, could you say me, if this is normal or not ?

post-25925-0-69264300-1414912570_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Iv got a focas 1.8 tdci and there oil in turbo and intercooler  would that course blue smoke it runs mint . Just blue smoke when I rev it it comes and goes.  There a funny smell  when it smokes. I thought it had bio diesel  in it .took fuel filter off and normal diesel  thanks for any help