Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Tank Size And Mpg

gh1

i have bought a 1.4 tdci edge 2009 version of the fiesta - nice car but i'm a little confused. every where says it has a 45 litre tank but each time i fill it i only get 35 litres in and it's full to the brim (from red line + light on).

only get 400 miles aswell from full tank - what do other people average? can't get anywhere near the combined mpg figures quoted - could this indicate a problem?

It's only about 40 llitres in the diesel. Do you fill up as soon as the light comes on? To get 40 litres in you would have to be brave and get the needle right down to the very bottom! I run right down to the bottom with the range on 0 and I only get about 38 litres in.

400 miles from 35 litres is a bit low but not scary bad. What sort of driving do you typically do? You won't get the mfg figures but should be getting a bit more than that unless it's all ony round town on a cold engine.

As above, 40l tank on the diesel (42l petrol) the probably a little reserve too.

I've driven it down to 0 miles and still only got 38l in.

probably done 6-7miles after the light came on. mainly dual carriage - bit of stop start but generally steady at 50-60 mph. only had it a couple of weeks so will check again. if the tank size isn't 45 litres why say it is? 35 litres is about 8 gallons so averaging approx 50 mpg - thought i would get closer to 60 the type of driving.

if the tank size isn't 45 litres why say it is?

Where does it say it's 45l?

I think the mk6 was 45 litres?

If you only do 6-7 miles when the light comes on you've still got a good 5 litres or so in the tank. The light comes on with about a gallon (4.54 litres) left.

MY09 is mk7, 40L diesel, 42L petrol according to handbook (page 136 of the second revision of the handbook, not sure in rev 1):

Capacities

Variant Item Capacityinlitres(gallons)

Windscreen and rear 2.5 (0.6)

All window washer system

Vehicles with a petrol Engine cooling system approx. 5.5 (1.2)

engine

Vehicles with a diesel Engine cooling system approx. 6.1 (1.3)

engine

Vehicles with a petrol Fuel tank 42 (9.2)

engine

Maintenance

Variant Item Capacityinlitres(gallons)

Vehicles with a diesel Fuel tank 40 (8.8)

engine

Engine lubrication system- 3.8 (0.8)

including the oil filter

1.25L Duratec-16V

(Sigma)/1.4L Duratec-16V

(Sigma)

Engine lubrication system- 3.5 (0.8)

excluding the oil filter

1.25L Duratec-16V

(Sigma)/1.4L Duratec-16V

(Sigma)

Engine lubrication system- 4 (0.9)

including the oil filter

1.6L Duratec-16V Ti-VCT

(Sigma)

excluding the oil filter

1.6L Duratec-16V Ti-VCT

(Sigma)

including the oil filter

1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (DV)

Diesel

Engine lubrication system- 3.4 (0.7)

excluding the oil filter

1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (DV)

Diesel

Engine lubrication system- 3.9 (0.9)

including the oil filter

1.6L Duratorq-TDCi (DV)

Diesel

Engine lubrication system- 3.5 (0.8)

excluding the oil filter

1.6L Duratorq-TDCi (DV)

Diesel

Engine oil top up capacities

Engine Capacityinlitres(gallons)

1.25L Duratec-16V (Sigma)/1.4L Duratec-16V (Sigma)/ 0.8 (0.2)

1.6L Duratec-16V Ti-VCT (Sigma)

1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) Diesel/1.6L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) 1.6 (0.4)

Diesel

mk6 did have a 45L tank though IIRC

as for the 35L, they always err on the side of caution when telling you how low your diesel level is - because if you do ever run dry, its not a straightforward job getting it running again (like it is with the petrols) - you have to prime the engine using the handpump for example!

you have to prime the engine using the handpump for example

Is that still the case with modern diesels? I was told you didn't have to any more and I did run my Freelander (52-reg with the BMW diesel engine) out of diesel a couple of times and it just restarted after chucking a a couple of gallons of diesel in...??

Mind you, I'm not about to try it with the Fiesta to test the theory...

Is that still the case with modern diesels? I was told you didn't have to any more and I did run my Freelander (52-reg with the BMW diesel engine) out of diesel a couple of times and it just restarted after chucking a a couple of gallons of diesel in...??

Mind you, I'm not about to try it with the Fiesta to test the theory...

thats news to me !!

makes sense, surely in this day and age, a handpump could at least be electrified and wired to the ECU..

thats news to me !!

makes sense, surely in this day and age, a handpump could at least be electrified and wired to the ECU..

What I was told (by a BMW tech) was that modern car diesel engines generally will restart no problem simply due to the extremely high pressures involved - I guess a little bit of fuel goes a long way under pressure?

He did say that modern commercial vehicle and other larger diesel engines will still tend to struggle to restart after running dry.

• 4 years later...

I have  a 2006 fiesta trend 1.4  TDCi and I have put a fuel conditioner on the fuel line and get an extra 2 miles a litre which gives me on a 40 litre tank size 650 miles  which is great  it works the same for petrol,  if you want one  it will cost only £10 you can e mail me and    I will give you more details  richard.w.whiteing@btinternet.com

I have modded the airbox and have increased the MPG to almost 80mpg on a longer run (using the brim to brim measure) - airbox seems to be the restriction to both power and MPG on the stock engine.

• 6 months later...

What car? And how did you mod the airbox. Sounds good. Would you put a step by step guide up for all to see, if not going to damage car I'll give it a go. 

On 2/16/2012 at 10:23 PM, gh1 said:

i have bought a 1.4 tdci edge 2009 version of the fiesta - nice car but i'm a little confused. every where says it has a 45 litre tank but each time i fill it i only get 35 litres in and it's full to the brim (from red line + light on).

only get 400 miles aswell from full tank - what do other people average? can't get anywhere near the combined mpg figures quoted - could this indicate a problem?

I had a 2013 mk7.5 1.6 tdci 95hp and in the book it says it has 40l but i managed to put in 41.37 L and I was not on 0 range but close by.

• 4 years later...

Ford have made the engine miss for a while before it eventually stop , but there is still fuel in the tank and as soon as you refuel it just starts up again because it never run out of fuel, which is a brilliant area, definitely the ford transit and I think the fiesta.