Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Know If Water Pump Has Gone

NLPNick

Hi

My alternator belt snapped on my focus 1.8 TDDI, (not the biggest of problems), upon inspection the belt tensioner wheel looks quite worn, so I have ordered a belt tensioner.

After reading further about the job online it has been suggested that the original cause of the belt snapping could be that the water pump has jammed, thus causing the belt to heat/ cause wear to belt tensioner.

Prior to the belt snapping the car was making an interminent noise which i assume was wear to belt tensioner but the car was running great.

My challenge is if I replace the belt and tensioner, and the real cause of all this was the water pump it could be money i really cant afford wasted. Clearly i dont want to change a non faulty water pump at the price they are.

How would I know if the water pump has gone or not? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

spin the water pump pulley.if it spins and has no up and down movement it should be ok

Hi, if the belt is still off, test the water pump for play, to see if there is any side to side movement in the pully, also look for water leaking.

Thanks alz and tyler - will do both of those in morning as dark here and am restricted to working in street, but really appreciate your posts :)

it seems to be seized solid, so I guess that means a new water pump. at least by learning on the forum i didnt waste my cash on having to purchase another belt and poss tensioner. thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club