#1 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Style TdCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I had to have all my clutch replaced yesterday and as part of the process the mechanic had to disconnect the battery.He used some sort of device to ensure the mileage details weren't lost but we had to enter the security code in once the repairs were finished. This all seemed to be ok but I've noticed the 6000cd keeps losing the date and time settings when the car is turned off. It resets back to 01/01/00 every time I start it up.

Also if I put the key in and manually set the clock to the correct date etc. this is lost as soon as I actually turn the key. Is there some hopefully easy way to fix this? Perhaps a cable hasn't been put back on correctly?

Many thanks if anyone can offer some advice on this.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,520 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Does the trip computer stay iluminated when you switch everything off? if so it could be that you need to disconnect and reconnect the stereo, just sounds like its not keeping the base line of power to keep the unit on the correct details!

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,994 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Check your footwell fuse panel, it sounds like the battery saver fuse has gone.
Should be one of the 10 amp ones.
Check F104 (battery saver) and F112 (audio).

#4 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for your replies on this. I'll follow your advice and let you know.

#5 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I took the F112 out and it looks fine, put it back in and it works. Couldn't even get F104 out, there's a large connector just below it and a handle overhangs the fuse. Basically it stops you from getting hold of the fuse to lift it out. I don't know what the large connector is for so decided to play safe and update you guys first.

There's also something else I noticed when turning the key,there's a sort of clicking noise coming from behind the console cluster where the trip meter and other info are viewed. When the key is turned this clicking occurs and the hands on the dials seem to jump up a bit. This is when the clock and date details are reset, but the radio is retaining the settings I put in.

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,994 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Could be that cables were pulled around when the work was done.
I'd take the car back and point the problem out and the fact that it only started after they touched it.

#7 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

I asked the guy what had been moved regarding cables and he said he only disconnected the battery and an earth cable beneath but these were all reconnected once the work was done. Its strange how the radio is holding its settings but the clock and date aren't. All the mileage history is still there too.

#8 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,994 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Maybe the earth point needs checking.

#9 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Will give that a shot at the weekend and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

#10 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Just checked the battery saver fuse and changed it just in case. Made no difference, the console (speedo etc) still makes the clicking noise. The display doesn't stay on when the ignition is turned off so I assume there's no issue with the power supply for the actual cd player.
Probably should change the name of the thread to console issue?

Thanks if anyone else can suggest anything more.

#11 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Another update on this issue. The rev counter is now sticking at just below idling speed even when the engine is turned off. By turning the key again to just before actually starting the engine the dial will drop back to its normal position.

The mechanic who did the work checked out all the wires he disconnected and none are loose. He said he connected the electrics to another battery whilst he removed mine prior to removing the clutch.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this I would be really grateful for any more input as it seems to be a mystery.

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,116 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

what kind of battery did he use its well known not using silver calcium batteries can cause electrical gremlins though with the original battery back in it should have corrected itself i think a trip to the dealer may be in order to find out whats going on.

the meachanic may have checked the wiring that doesnt mean that its all ok just that hes telling you its okay with my suspicous mind that may be to cover himself a second opinion is definately needed

#13 Sully65

Sully65

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

The cars going back in tomorrow so will ask him about the battery then. Theres a guy who's coming in to the garage who does diagnostic work who will check it over. The mechanic said he will cover the cost of anything as its been like this since he did the clutch change.

Will keep this post updated, hopefully very soon it'll be resolved.

My first Ford and I'm not liking it very much at all, the clutch went 6 weeks out of warranty and ford didn't want to know. Apparently they were quite happy that a clutch would go at 35,000 and just told me it was wear and tear. For a second hand car with such a low mileage I expected more time before something this big happened, if ever!

Thanks for everyone's advice so far, it has been very much appreciated.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users