Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6000Cd Won't Hold Settings-Loses Date And Time At Start Up

Sully65

I had to have all my clutch replaced yesterday and as part of the process the mechanic had to disconnect the battery.He used some sort of device to ensure the mileage details weren't lost but we had to enter the security code in once the repairs were finished. This all seemed to be ok but I've noticed the 6000cd keeps losing the date and time settings when the car is turned off. It resets back to 01/01/00 every time I start it up.

Also if I put the key in and manually set the clock to the correct date etc. this is lost as soon as I actually turn the key. Is there some hopefully easy way to fix this? Perhaps a cable hasn't been put back on correctly?

Many thanks if anyone can offer some advice on this.

Does the trip computer stay iluminated when you switch everything off? if so it could be that you need to disconnect and reconnect the stereo, just sounds like its not keeping the base line of power to keep the unit on the correct details!

Check your footwell fuse panel, it sounds like the battery saver fuse has gone.

Should be one of the 10 amp ones.

Check F104 (battery saver) and F112 (audio).

Thanks for your replies on this. I'll follow your advice and let you know.

I took the F112 out and it looks fine, put it back in and it works. Couldn't even get F104 out, there's a large connector just below it and a handle overhangs the fuse. Basically it stops you from getting hold of the fuse to lift it out. I don't know what the large connector is for so decided to play safe and update you guys first.

There's also something else I noticed when turning the key,there's a sort of clicking noise coming from behind the console cluster where the trip meter and other info are viewed. When the key is turned this clicking occurs and the hands on the dials seem to jump up a bit. This is when the clock and date details are reset, but the radio is retaining the settings I put in.

Could be that cables were pulled around when the work was done.

I'd take the car back and point the problem out and the fact that it only started after they touched it.

I asked the guy what had been moved regarding cables and he said he only disconnected the battery and an earth cable beneath but these were all reconnected once the work was done. Its strange how the radio is holding its settings but the clock and date aren't. All the mileage history is still there too.

Will give that a shot at the weekend and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Just checked the battery saver fuse and changed it just in case. Made no difference, the console (speedo etc) still makes the clicking noise. The display doesn't stay on when the ignition is turned off so I assume there's no issue with the power supply for the actual cd player.

Probably should change the name of the thread to console issue?

Thanks if anyone else can suggest anything more.

Another update on this issue. The rev counter is now sticking at just below idling speed even when the engine is turned off. By turning the key again to just before actually starting the engine the dial will drop back to its normal position.

The mechanic who did the work checked out all the wires he disconnected and none are loose. He said he connected the electrics to another battery whilst he removed mine prior to removing the clutch.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this I would be really grateful for any more input as it seems to be a mystery.

what kind of battery did he use its well known not using silver calcium batteries can cause electrical gremlins though with the original battery back in it should have corrected itself i think a trip to the dealer may be in order to find out whats going on.

the meachanic may have checked the wiring that doesnt mean that its all ok just that hes telling you its okay with my suspicous mind that may be to cover himself a second opinion is definately needed

The cars going back in tomorrow so will ask him about the battery then. Theres a guy who's coming in to the garage who does diagnostic work who will check it over. The mechanic said he will cover the cost of anything as its been like this since he did the clutch change.

Will keep this post updated, hopefully very soon it'll be resolved.

My first Ford and I'm not liking it very much at all, the clutch went 6 weeks out of warranty and ford didn't want to know. Apparently they were quite happy that a clutch would go at 35,000 and just told me it was wear and tear. For a second hand car with such a low mileage I expected more time before something this big happened, if ever!

Thanks for everyone's advice so far, it has been very much appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I had to have all my clutch replaced yesterday and as part of the process the mechanic had to disconnect the battery.He used some sort of device to ensure the mileage details weren't lost but we had to enter the security code in once the repairs were finished. This all seemed to be ok but I've noticed the 6000cd keeps losing the date and time settings when the car is turned off. It resets back to 01/01/00 every time I start it up.

Also if I put the key in and manually set the clock to the correct date etc. this is lost as soon as I actually turn the key. Is there some hopefully easy way to fix this? Perhaps a cable hasn't been put back on correctly?

Many thanks if anyone can offer some advice on this.

I have exactly the same problem 2007 Focus Ghia, what was your resolution?

Thanks John

To set the clock etc the car has to be running I found that out after messing about with it if you start the car set the clock etc it should hold its memory it wont if the key is in position 1 or 2

• 1 year later...

Pretty old post but thought I'd ask if these problems got sorted. If so, what was the fix? I have the exact same issues with my 57 reg Focus Ghia. Clocks make the clicking noise, the Rev counter sitting below 1k until the key is turned and the clock not holding its time but it is keeping the radio stations.

I know the history of the car as I'm its 3rd owner. My father inlaw owned it before me and his dad before him (original buyer from new). 

The problems only started around a year ago. No work had been done to it when the problems started either. I've only owned the car for 5 days and these little issues are driving me nuts! Lol

any help/advice/fixes are appreciated

cheers.

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the date/time settings are stored inside the instrument cluster and only displayed by the radio. The radio only displays the date/time information from the instrument cluster and does not have its own memory.

Because all symptoms are related to the instrument cluster this will be the biggest suspect. The instrument cluster has 3 different 12 Volt positive wires (2 permanent and 1 ignition switched positive iirc). If 1 of the 12 Volt positive signals is missing you will have exactly the same problem as described.

If all 12 Volt positive signals are present at the instrument cluster connector the problem will most likely be caused by a defective instrument cluster. I have seen before that exactly the same problems were caused by bad soldering connections of the instrument cluster circuit board. Bad soldering connections are a known problem of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster which can cause several (sometimes very strange) symptoms.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JW1982 said:

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the date/time settings are stored inside the instrument cluster and only displayed by the radio. The radio only displays the date/time information from the instrument cluster and does not have its own memory.

Because all symptoms are related to the instrument cluster this will be the biggest suspect. The instrument cluster has 3 different 12 Volt positive wires (2 permanent and 1 ignition switched positive iirc). If 1 of the 12 Volt positive signals is missing you will have exactly the same problem as described.

If all 12 Volt positive signals are present at the instrument cluster connector the problem will most likely be caused by a defective instrument cluster. I have seen before that exactly the same problems were caused by bad soldering connections of the instrument cluster circuit board. Bad soldering connections are a known problem of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster which can cause several (sometimes very strange) symptoms.

I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron if that's a possible fix.

I'll have a look through the 'how to' section to see if there is a guide to remove the cluster. I'll post any findings here if anyone would like the update?

cheers for the help. Will hopefully sort the problem soon.

8 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Might sound a daft question but if the above is true why do you have to set the time/date via the radio/cd unit? (Using the stalk to set the time/date only goes up to a certain year - i forget which but to set the date to 2016 it can only be done via the radio/cd unit)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be having the exact same issue as OP. Had a breakdown a few days ago which was due to a failed alternator, just had the alternator replaced at a garage and now we are getting the time/date loss on the radio (although it still holds the station presets), and the flickering instrument pointers when the key is turned. Did anyone who encountered the problem previously come up with a fix? Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hi did anyone find a cure for this iv just had a new clutch and am now having these issues. Thank you

• 5 months later...

I have exactly the same problem after the clutch was replaced on 2008 C Max. Anyone know what the fix was to the previous posts?

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the problem. 'F107     10Amp     Instrument cluster battery supply, on-board diagnostics'  was blown.Simple fix but for some reason I could not find this on Google.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2015 at 1:29 AM, artscot79 said:

To set the clock etc the car has to be running I found that out after messing about with it if you start the car set the clock etc it should hold its memory it wont if the key is in position 1 or 2

Now, that works!! after almost four years, please accept your accolade as a genius!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club