Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,561 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

seems a swift movement, to the outer edges of the car might well resolve that little issue!

p.s. Catch, loving the new sig! lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

i would be aware i know for a fact that my mates friend who has a garage and does m.o.ts has failed in his words not mine a few boy racers with there !Removed! lights he has fitted some himself for people and as catch stated there are requirements but some testers ignore them so its really up to the individual i to was going to fit some but the measurements were a bit short so i left it

#18 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

I got these ones:
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_4909wt_1037
fitted to my Zetec S
Including shipping from Taiwan comes to £98.98
They seem to be very similar to the ones shown in preee's guide.
they are E marked, well they have the E mark symbol on the front.
I haven't had any problems with them, although they have a button in the image, for fitting next to heated screen and this didnt come with them but I wasn't too bothered.

#19 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

i agree with the idea so im gonna look at some for the mk2 and see if i can get the measurements to work out

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,270 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I got these ones:
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_4909wt_1037
fitted to my Zetec S
Including shipping from Taiwan comes to £98.98
They seem to be very similar to the ones shown in preee's guide.
they are E marked, well they have the E mark symbol on the front.
I haven't had any problems with them, although they have a button in the image, for fitting next to heated screen and this didnt come with them but I wasn't too bothered.

I have a set of these on they way mate,
im a bit disapointed to read that the button wont be coming with the kit, but i can use pree's guide for fitting and they will work out fine, hoping to recieve mid next week.

#21 reesmew

reesmew

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Name: Martyn
  • Ford Model: focus and smax
  • Year: 2010

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

UK Legal Requirements :

Height above the ground must be 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm

source:

http://www.halfords....ment/242326.pdf

Just an observation [don't shoot the messenger] yours don't appear to conform to the legal requirement.

When I was looking into fitting something similar I found height wise I was OK. But fell foul of the requirement that they needed to be a minimum of 400mm apart. So in the end, not wanting to risk invalidating my insurance cover I decided to not bother.

The drl's must be a maximum of 400mm from the outer edge of the car as taken from that halfords info. I don't think there's a minimum distance between them but I could be wrong.

#22 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

The drl's must be a maximum of 400mm from the outer edge of the car as taken from that halfords info. I don't think there's a minimum distance between them but I could be wrong.

Now I come to think about it reesmew I think your right, because I've just been out to the car with the tape measure again.

And considering Plan A was:
the only place I reckon they would look right on my Mk2 is in the lower part of the "fish mouth" opening directly below the licence plate.But on measuring it from the outer edge of the car, they fell outside that measurement [500mm] but the height from the ground would have been OK at 300mm.

Plan B:
I then looked at mounting them flush in that black plastic section above the spot light housing. It would have meant not only cutting into that black trim but also in to the plastic bumper behind it. Now I was not 100% sure I would miss the crash bar that is positioned behind the bumper . Then for them to fit flush they would have been pointing not straight in front but slightly to the outside of straight ahead......could they be a nuisance to on coming traffic? Would cutting out the bumper and black trim weaken both when tying to clip the black trim in .

In the end I thought to many what ifs to be considered for the sake of trying to do a mod my car does not really need.

Now considering what artscot79 said re MOT testers, guy who does my servicing also does my MOT testing so I'm 99% sure Plan A would be fine with him.

jeebowhite re the sig,

I just thought if anybody kicks off because they misunderstand my intentions. I can just refer them to my sig instead of resorting to handbags at dawn ;)

#23 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

What's behind the eye brow on the mk2 , i have seen on one forum where some one fited small round ones in that eye brow and it looked great

#24 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,434 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

The eyebrows on a MK2 basically act purely as bumper trims.
Behind the near side one is just bumper plastic but with enough space for wiring, off side covers the towing eye mounting point.
Pity nobody does a DRL that directly replaces the trim.

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

yeah i searched high and low but no joy even the trim around the foglight has possibilities only easy place is the gaps in the lower bumper then they look to far down.i found a drl on ebay that switches off automaticly when you switch the headlights on but the mounting is too deep

#26 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have seen the round DRL that replaces the Fog lamps.

I have also seen the ones that are are single round ones that come in groups of 5 that you drill the holes out and clip in , they would fit in the fog light plastic

Like these
http://www.alibaba.c...ning_light.html

#27 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

to be honest i dont want to repalce the fogs and i dont like the look of the meteor ones ide prefer them to switch off with headlights on the search continues....................

#28 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

The Spot Light "eyebrow" is the area I was talking about in Plan B

See mock up of some cheap DRL's I spotted on ebay

Posted Image

Regards the spotlights being replaced by DRL's now I have not got a problem with that idea in theory. Because to be honest the spots to me are more bling than actually being useful, and to be honest not much cop at that. And I've only used em once in two and a half years.

But the theory is trumped by the practice which in our case is that we actually have a hidden behind the front bumper "parking aids set up" running off the spotlights switch. [wife uses them when she is parking, and I do but difference being I could lose em but the Wife.......well .........] Beauty with this set up is, if she leaves the parking aid on when she opens the car door the lights on, alarm sounds.

Now if I want to actually use the spots as spots, all I need to do is lift the bonnet and unplug the parking ECU, otherwise there is intermittent beeping whilst your driving with the spots on. Like I say once in two and a half years, so not a problem to unplug if needed.

And to be honest I cannot be @rsed trying to get a cable through the bulkhead for an independent DRL switch. The cable for the front PA sounder mounted under the dash board passenger side, I actually run between the front wing and soundproofing of same. Being taped and matching spray painted on the passenger door bulkhead and tucked under the rain seal where the door abuts it.

#29 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

yeah i see what you mean ive never checked to see if anythings on the engine side shouldnt be. time to invest in a cheap version of a dremel .set the bracket right and cut the eyebrow correctly it would look oem so it would be better putting the tape on the brow cut that refit and cut the bumper.
in the book the parking light setting is refered to as daytime running lights

#30 Bigdaddycain

Bigdaddycain

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Name: Ste
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI 6SPD titanium estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Ste, how much where these lights and can you provide a link? They look bleedin' good!

http://www.aliexpres.../105079241.html

(hopefully the link works)

Many thanks for the kind comments! They are quite eyecatching i must admit, but i think the indicator section would look more in tune with the main indicators once i have upgraded them to LED bulbs also (normal filament bulbs are slower than LED's) I bought 3 boxes of the lights, at around $9 per box, so what's that? About 6 and a half quid per set? (i told you they were CHEAP) B)

Nowt to lose at that price i thought!.... ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users