Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying New Alloys

freeman3030

Hi, I have a '58 Fiesta Titanium with the infamous 'buckled alloys' problem which as I have read, has plagued the fiesta Mk7. I approached Ford about this 6 months ago and they told me it was my problem, not theirs and alloys aren't covered under warrantee. They claim that it's a wearing part and it is not covered. In my opinion most car parts are 'wearing' so warrantees aren't worth the paper they are written on. I have lost all faith with Ford. That aside, it still leaves me with a car that isn't very assuring to drive 35mph+.

At the time I wasn't in a position for pay out for new alloys and I am still reluctant to now. But safety is paramount especially when carrying passengers and other road users.

I have been looking online and have found a couple of alloy wheel websites but I would like some feedback as to whether they are reliable and to ask where other fiesta owners with the same issue as me, have got their wheels from?

The 2 websites I have found are:

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com

http://www.alloywheels.com

I have put in my car details in both websites and they give a large selection of alloys that fit my car. Is it a case of taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on? Im apprehensive to order some incase they don't fit/they rub etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Why are you so cross with Ford? Most buckled alloys are the result of damage while on the road the same as punctures. Would you expect a puncture to be covered under warranty? Or would you blame Ford if you reversed into a wall because the bumpers are too weak?

I am starting to get very tired of every single buckled wheel being blamed on Ford and there being about 500 threads all about the same thing!

There may well be a bad batch of alloys out there but I suspect that far more buckles are due to Fiesta wheel now being lower profile than ever and the condition of the roads being very poor.

Why are you so cross with Ford? Most buckled alloys are the result of damage while on the road the same as punctures. Would you expect a puncture to be covered under warranty? Or would you blame Ford if you reversed into a wall because the bumpers are too weak?

I am starting to get very tired of every single buckled wheel being blamed on Ford and there being about 500 threads all about the same thing!

There may well be a bad batch of alloys out there but I suspect that far more buckles are due to Fiesta wheel now being lower profile than ever and the condition of the roads being very poor.

I wouldn't class tyres and alloys in the same category. You would replace tyres like you would Wiper Blades, so you have come up with a fairly ridiculous comparison. I blame ford because they design the alloys! 3 out of my 4 alloys are buckled and I have no damage to the suspension. I have read throughout this forum and others and there have been many complaints about it. I've owned 3 cars prior to this which have been driven on the same roads in the using the same driving style without damage. Likewise family and friends drive similar routes to myself and have had no issues with buckled wheels.

I wouldn't class tyres and alloys in the same category. You would replace tyres like you would wiper blades, so you have come up with a fairly ridiculous comparison.

It's not a ridiculous comparison. Wheel and tyres can both easily be damaged by everyday driving so how could Ford ever be expected to tell which wheels have been damaged by bad driving and which have become damaged as the result of manufacturing defects? That is why they would have only discretionary cover under a warranty.

I've owned 3 cars prior to this which have been driven on the same roads in the using the same driving style without damage. Likewise family and friends drive similar routes to myself and have had no issues with buckled wheels.

What profile were the tyres on your previous cars? It makes a huge difference to the susceptibility of the alloy being damaged. As for the alloy being damaged but the suspension being OK - they wheel is the weak point not the suspension. When the tyre runs out of give the impact will hit the wheel before it hits the suspension.

It's not a ridiculous comparison. Wheel and tyres can both easily be damaged by everyday driving so how could Ford ever be expected to tell which wheels have been damaged by bad driving and which have become damaged as the result of manufacturing defects? That is why they would have only discretionary cover under a warranty.

What profile were the tyres on your previous cars? It makes a huge difference to the susceptibility of the alloy being damaged. As for the alloy being damaged but the suspension being OK - they wheel is the weak point not the suspension. When the tyre runs out of give the impact will hit the wheel before it hits the suspension.

I can't remember off hand, its not something I've had to deal with before. The most notable was my previous car, I had a 2004 Mini Cooper, which had 17 or 18" alloys. I can't remember (they we're from a cooper s), I don't know they profile of the tyre, but they were thin. Possibly thinner than my current tyres. I had no issue with buckled wheels. I've had a fiesta mk6 with the 5 spoke zetec alloys - no trouble. Plus my parents have had many cars cars ranging from old vauxhalls to new BMW's/Mercedes etc. None of which have this problem.

I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't help me with my issue or those that have the same problem as me. The fact remains that if the tyre that ford supply doesn't sufficiently protect the alloy itself - they shouldn't sell it!

Where are you located, freeman3030? I have some 15" Fiesta Zetec alloys and tyres going spare as I've just bought some new 16" alloys.

The most notable was my previous car, I had a 2004 Mini Cooper, which had 17 or 18" alloys. I can't remember (they we're from a cooper s), I don't know they profile of the tyre, but they were thin. Possibly thinner than my current tyres. I had no issue with buckled wheels.

Did your MINI have run flat tyres? These are a poor comparison if they did as these have much stronger side walls and protect the tyre much better.

I've had a fiesta mk6 with the 5 spoke zetec alloys - no trouble. Plus my parents have had many cars cars ranging from old vauxhalls to new BMW's/Mercedes etc. None of which have this problem.

Again, it comes down to the profile of the tyre. The sidewall on 16" wheels on a Fiesta will be much smaller than the sidewall on a 16" wheel on a Merc. It's the profile of the sidewall that is important not the size of the alloy.

If you're going to blame anyone try your local councils for the shocking roads.

I agree the council are to blame for the state of the roads.

Leaving everything to one side about side walls and profiles of tyres etc.The alloy wheels ford supplied on my particular fiesta are not fit for purpose as they have buckled. If there have been 500 threads started about this issue, there must be something wrong with them! I'm not the only person with this problem.

We are going quite off topic, I'm after some advise/reccomendation on which alloys to buy and where to get them!

Where are you located, freeman3030? I have some 15" Fiesta Zetec alloys and tyres going spare as I've just bought some new 16" alloys.

Thank you for your offer, but I would like to get a brand new set just for piece of mind more than anything else. I have been recommended by wealdman to a local business that might be able to advise me something similar to what he got.

:) no problem, post pics when you get them fitted.

If there have been 500 threads started about this issue

There's 500 threads because each person with the problem has started a thread rather than adding to an existing one and it's cluttering up the forum.

Yes, there are a number of people who have had problems but if you take out the number of those who don't appreciate that modern Fiestas have lower profile tyres than older Fiestas and don't understand that lower profile wheels are more prone to damage on our terrible roads then you are left with a very small percentage of the tens of thousands of people who buy Fiestas every year.

Ive got the same broblem freeman3030 and have found this thread in my search for an answer. Keep us updated on solving the issue. It really is a massive issue for me, i cant go anywhere above 40mph without the steering wheel shaking like mad and it really isnt good enough. Ive never had an issue like this on any over car, and neither has anyone i know or spoke too!

Rojariggs why do you bother to comment on this thread? If you had this problem yourself on a car, and didnt have the money to fork out to fix it, you also would be particuarly annoyed at ford and the model when it is such a young car! If you havent got anything helpful to say then why are you bothering?

You say: "I am starting to get very tired of every single buckled wheel being blamed on Ford and there being about 500 threads all about the same thing!" That isnt helpful at all to our problem, so why make this about you, just dont bother to involve yourself instead of lecturing on how peoples opinions are wrong and yours is right!

Can you not understand it is an irritating isuue many people are trying to sort out, and if people create there own thread, because they dont want to hijack someone elses, then that is their choice, why become so irritated over it, thats what forums are for!

Keep us updated freeman3030, thanks!

Rojariggs why do you bother to comment on this thread? If you had this problem yourself on a car, and didnt have the money to fork out to fix it, you also would be particuarly annoyed at ford and the model when it is such a young car! If you havent got anything helpful to say then why are you bothering?

I commented because I come onto forums to try and help people. It is frustrating for me, and I'm sure for others that are here to help, to view the list of new posts and see the same questions and problems over and over again raised by people who cannot b bothered to search before asking. More often than not, these people join, ask one question that's been asked before and then never return. Forums should be two way streets of information.

While I appreciate the OP was about sourcing replacement wheels, it also brought up the same old complaint which has been covered extensively elsewhere on the site.

What I do not appreciate is someone using their first post on this forum to tell me that I am in the wrong when I am expressing an opinion about post content and simply giving a more balanced view on buckled wheels.

Actually the bumpers are good, I've sort of rubbed up against a project car in the garden (pushed the bumper in a bit) and my dad's car has hit it and no damage either time, the bumpers are safe :P

Actually the bumpers are good, I've sort of rubbed up against a project car in the garden (pushed the bumper in a bit) and my dad's car has hit it and no damage either time, the bumpers are safe :P

Hahah! Very good! :P

I really don't think people who have been on this forum for a while appreciate someone who has just joined today dictating policy.

Yes, I get the point that people are having concerns with regards to Fiesta rims but bleating about it here is not going to solve it.

Complain to Ford , complain to your local Council about the roads but stop complaining here - we can do nothing about it.

Stop picking on people who sympathise but can do nothing about it.

( Prepared for incoming abuse )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club