Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Caliper Paint???

alkyz89

sorry if this has been covered before...

was just wondering if anyone has painted there calipers before?

1. does it look too chavy

2. is it easy to do yourself, and whats involved

3.has anyone got any pictures

i was thinking red caliper paint would look quite good on the silver zetec s, as it has the red on the s badges.

also would it look stupid as i only have front disc brakes lol

thanks in advance for your comments!!

Aaron

Thinking of doing the same myself will be looking later for the correct spray/paint and looking into how to prep it properly as its got to be heat resistant i,d say and get a good base on it cos of the crap that gets at them i,ll let you know later what i find

there are a few members who have done this with very good results.

I painted the calipers on my first car, using Halfords heat resistant paint (about £10). its best to remove the caliper and carrier for best results but not necessary. remove all the flaking rust, get them as clean as you can. I found the brush on paint best, its thicker and could also be used with the calipers still on the car, whereas the spray would just make a mess and take more to get good coverage.

just my opinion and experience.

i agree with stef ive done the same on mine but i painted them still on the car a lot easier just used some spray degreaser on them to get rid of the brake dust and then used a wire brush on my drill to get rid of the crud and away you go.

alkyz89 ide say the best colour for youre car is either blue or yellow but red would go

Drums always look bad painted in my opinion, but red would go well. we painted my brothers mk1 using brush on paint and it came out great with the calipers still on the car.

sorry if this has been covered before...

was just wondering if anyone has painted there calipers before?

1. does it look too chavy

2. is it easy to do yourself, and whats involved

3.has anyone got any pictures

i was thinking red caliper paint would look quite good on the silver zetec s, as it has the red on the s badges.

also would it look stupid as i only have front disc brakes lol

thanks in advance for your comments!!

Aaron

My opinion is yes red and other bright colours are chavvy - but I always do mine black and it looks neat ! Very easy to do with a high temp paint !

thanks for the input guys....

i was thinking red as the whole car is silver and red... red s badge, all rear lights are silver/white and red reflective trim,

but i also like the sound of black, does sound pretty smart...

i never considered painting the rear wheel drums and i think painting them a bright colour would be far to much and would look tacky...

i wonder if you can get a decent looking replicer brake disc that sits over the rear wheel drums... again will probably look real tacky.... so i wouldnt even consider it unless they looked the part!!

has any ever seen such a thing??

thanks for the input guys....

i was thinking red as the whole car is silver and red... red s badge, all rear lights are silver/white and red reflective trim,

but i also like the sound of black, does sound pretty smart...

i never considered painting the rear wheel drums and i think painting them a bright colour would be far to much and would look tacky...

i wonder if you can get a decent looking replicer brake disc that sits over the rear wheel drums... again will probably look real tacky.... so i wouldnt even consider it unless they looked the part!!

has any ever seen such a thing??

Mate silver car with red brakes I think does look touch and chavvy ! But black calipers and drums look good ! Get pics up once done !!!!

Mate silver car with red brakes I think does look touch and chavvy ! But black calipers and drums look good ! Get pics up once done !!!!

I agree with that. Black is by far the best for drums. Calipers often look chavvy if anything other than black unless factory. Coloured front calipers with even black rear drums doesn't look right either.

Nothing can be as chavvy as this guy who lived down the road from were I used to to live, he had a saxo with bright flurecent green rims, makes me shudder thinking about it

personally ide do the drums silver that way they blend with the alloys and dont stick out and do the front whatever colour you want

atleast on a new car you will get better results as they wont have rusted to the same extent as my car for example.

What colour is the coating on them from the factory? is it still the silver stuff?

you can use hammerite paint i did on my mk1 and nope it never burned or melted or went sticky with the heat from the brakes in fact it lasted for ages without a recoat

Gonna be painting mine in the spring, no sure what colour though, what do you all think on the light blue focus.

db535d62.jpg

Black all the way mate don't spoil a nice car with chavvy coloured brakes !!!

Yea yellow is tempting and a bit wild but silver I think is the best bet.

Or black is cool yea,

They are silver from the factory, but have already rusted up abit to be honest, so need doing soon,

Thanks for the input people.

Pink so they stick out and people notice your hard work :-P

There's always one :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just painted mine this weekend. I used Brush on Caiper paint from Halfords. I Would highly recoomend the Halfords caliper cleaner too. Just a quick spray and a light wipe made easy work of the grime build up. I didn't mask anything, just took my time and followed the instructions with regards to drying times etc. Here is the result:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/quik_silver69/temporary-5.jpg

With regards to all of the colour preferences, Red suited my car (In my opinion) as there are other little red bits such as the "S" badge, lights etc. I also would go for red on most cars to be honest, but Yellow looks good on black / gun metal grey. It's your own personal preference!

I havent seen a car that looked good with painted drums, I personally would go for black if any.

post-29562-0-32232800-1331474447_thumb.j

You really can't tell from the piccy, but after not being able to source a grey caliper paint, i approached my local automotive paint supplier who'd make up a caliper paint in any colour imaginable, mixed on the spot, for £11 per 1/4 tin. They even made me up a tin of metallic caliper paint for one of my other vehicles, all i had to do was add a splash of activator to the paint once i'd prepped the calipers...

DSC01149.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club