pragmatix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name: Pete
  • Ford Model: Mondea 2Ltr Tdci Ghia X Estate
  • Year: 2002

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

With all those different recommendations, what a difficult choice.

Allways was going to be a can of worms :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mozo Jojo

Mozo Jojo

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Name: mozo
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi 109bhp DPF-off
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

About those tires wearing on the sides .... you know that any tire after about 4 years no matter if you use it or not will get old and crack right ?

What i mean is that when you buy a new tire, if the tire is made in let's say 2008 it will last you for a few thousand miles then it will start to crack ... why ? because rubber loses it's proprieties in time, it gets stiff.

So, no matter what tire you buy, you should always look at the fabrication date. Usually it will be in this fashion : ww yyy. It will say the week number and the year when it was made.

When you buy a new tire, that is usually 50% more in any other place, chances are that tire is very old, and it won't last long, it will not break well, it will wear VERY fast, and you are better of with a second hand newer one.

#18 isx600

isx600

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Ford Focus 1.8TDCi Ghia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Has anybody tired the Avon ZZ3s? From all the digging around I've done they seem to be a decent all rounder and price is not bad either. Just not sure how well they are on the MK2 Focus.

#19 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

try tyrereviews.co.uk its a list of tyres for the mk2 with owner ratings on grip etc the avons are there halfway down the list i think.that way you have a list and can check to see what suits youre budget

#20 isx600

isx600

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Fitted 4 new Avon ZV5s to my MK2. Only after driving the car with the ZV5s I've realised how terrible the A-One Duran tires on the fronts were, poor traction and understeered. Car had the Duran's on it when I bought it and they have pushed 14.5k miles with a bit of tread left. Not sure when the rear Pirellis were fitted but they were due replacement.

First impression after 165 miles on a wet A road and the M25 this weekend with 5 adults and a full tank of fuel I must say the ride was smooth, steering precise and plenty traction, as for road noise it seems the same.

#21 isx600

isx600

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

After 8 months and 9k odd miles my ZV5 fronts are on 5mm and rears on 6mm, wear is even across the tires, front wheel aligment re-done a month ago, felt the steering change. Mostly A road driving.

#22 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

It all depends on mileage and driving style. But I have found the Goodyear Eagle NCT5's to be an excellent hard wearing tyre

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users