58 replies to this topic

#1 knighton

knighton

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi, will be getting my new fiesta in march. I would like to know if anyone has any experience using the usb connection where fitted. Do you have to buy a special cable when using a iphone 3g for controlling and listening to it in the car. And also when using a usb stick is there any limitation in size of stick and file types while using this. Any help appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec MK7
Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Would love to know this as well. Im planning on leaving my old 80GB iPod in the car all the time for my music. Is it best to use the USB or to get the special 20 cable? Sorry to hijack ur post :)

#3 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

To control an iPod or iPhone you will need to connect to the aux input and the USB input at the same time, the easiest way to do this is with the ford connector (part number: 1529487)

Posted Image

It works very well, I have tried using a USB flash drive but it doesn't work as well as an iPod

#4 Truly55

Truly55

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Ford Model: Hot Magenta Titanium 1.4 with Tech Pack

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Does an iPod not work if you just plug it into the USB port? I'm getting the wife a Fiesta in March (she doesn't know it) and after beating me up for changing her car without telling her, she'll no doubt want to plug her beloved iPod in. Do you really need to plug it into both USB and 3.5mm jack?

cheers

#5 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

I don't own a ipod (thank god!) but i don't see why you would need to connect both USB and AUX as the USB will work without the AUX being connected. Will be the same with any USB mp3 player

All AUX does is send sound to the speakers, nothing else. USB can do this by its self and be able to be controled by the stearing wheel. Atleast thats how it should be...

#6 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

I don't own a ipod (thank god!) but i don't see why you would need to connect both USB and AUX as the USB will work without the AUX being connected. Will be the same with any USB mp3 player

All AUX does is send sound to the speakers, nothing else. USB can do this by its self and be able to be controled by the stearing wheel. Atleast thats how it should be...

You do indeed need to plug both in with the ipod unfortunately, don't know why.

#7 knighton

knighton

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

I contacted a ford dealer and using a ford y cable wont work with the iphone.

#8 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

I contacted a ford dealer and using a ford y cable wont work with the iphone.

Been working for me for 2 months

#9 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

When you saying working you mean u can control it like an iPod or do more? And when they say it wont work are they saying it wont play music?

#10 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

When you saying working you mean u can control it like an iPod or do more? And when they say it wont work are they saying it wont play music?

Brings up the the playlist, artist etc on the screen of the car stereo and can be scrolled though using the dash controls. The volume and skipping forward and back can be done from the steering wheel controls.

The only problem I have found is that you cannot permenently have "shuffle" set so you have to tell it to do this once you have selected the album / artist/ playlist that you want to listen to.

#11 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

To control an iPod or iPhone you will need to connect to the aux input and the USB input at the same time, the easiest way to do this is with the ford connector (part number: 1529487)

Posted Image

It works very well, I have tried using a USB flash drive but it doesn't work as well as an iPod

Where is the best place to buy the cable? Anyone got any links?

#12 KJay

KJay

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium 3dr
Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

Is this the only cable that can be used or do Ford have a longer more flexible cable? Its just that I have the big chunky ipod Classic, and when I connected it to my new Fiesta with this Ford cable, I had to try to squash my ipod in the small gap infront of the handbrake. I feel this contributed to the USB port in my Fiesta breaking within a week of purchase, as the Ford cable was so rigid that as I require it to bend, it also bent the inside of the car USB port and a piece of plastic from inside the USB port snapped off.

If if is going to be a real hassle to get my car USB port replaced, could I use this:
http://www.usbfever....products_id=249

I would just plug the ford adapter cable usb part into one of the 4 USB ports on the device mentioned above, whilst putting the aux part of the ford adapter cable into the Ford aux port in my Fiesta which is still working fine. Do you guys think this would work?

#13 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Is this the only cable that can be used or do Ford have a longer more flexible cable? Its just that I have the big chunky ipod Classic, and when I connected it to my new Fiesta with this Ford cable, I had to try to squash my ipod in the small gap infront of the handbrake. I feel this contributed to the USB port in my Fiesta breaking within a week of purchase, as the Ford cable was so rigid that as I require it to bend, it also bent the inside of the car USB port and a piece of plastic from inside the USB port snapped off.

If if is going to be a real hassle to get my car USB port replaced, could I use this:
http://www.usbfever....products_id=249

I would just plug the ford adapter cable usb part into one of the 4 USB ports on the device mentioned above, whilst putting the aux part of the ford adapter cable into the Ford aux port in my Fiesta which is still working fine. Do you guys think this would work?

I have the same problem with the lead being very stiff, unfortunately the item you have linked to is a charger only and will not work.

#14 Inked

Inked

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Where is the best place to buy the cable? Anyone got any links?

Local ford dealer is easiest, should only take them a day to get it in if they dont have it in stock

#15 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

Local ford dealer is easiest, should only take them a day to get it in if they dont have it in stock

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users