Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Usb connection new fiesta

knighton

Hi, will be getting my new fiesta in march. I would like to know if anyone has any experience using the usb connection where fitted. Do you have to buy a special cable when using a iPhone 3g for controlling and listening to it in the car. And also when using a usb stick is there any limitation in size of stick and file types while using this. Any help appreciated.

Would love to know this as well. Im planning on leaving my old 80GB iPod in the car all the time for my music. Is it best to use the USB or to get the special £20 cable? Sorry to hijack ur post :)

To control an iPod or iPhone you will need to connect to the aux input and the USB input at the same time, the easiest way to do this is with the ford connector (part number: 1529487)

1529487-1.jpg

It works very well, I have tried using a USB flash drive but it doesn't work as well as an iPod

Does an iPod not work if you just plug it into the USB port? I'm getting the wife a Fiesta in March (she doesn't know it) and after beating me up for changing her car without telling her, she'll no doubt want to plug her beloved iPod in. Do you really need to plug it into both USB and 3.5mm jack?

cheers

I don't own a ipod (thank god!) but i don't see why you would need to connect both USB and AUX as the USB will work without the AUX being connected. Will be the same with any USB mp3 player

All AUX does is send sound to the Speakers, nothing else. USB can do this by its self and be able to be controled by the stearing wheel. Atleast thats how it should be...

I don't own a ipod (thank god!) but i don't see why you would need to connect both USB and AUX as the USB will work without the AUX being connected. Will be the same with any USB mp3 player

All AUX does is send sound to the speakers, nothing else. USB can do this by its self and be able to be controled by the stearing wheel. Atleast thats how it should be...

You do indeed need to plug both in with the ipod unfortunately, don't know why.

I contacted a ford dealer and using a ford y cable wont work with the iphone.

Been working for me for 2 months

When you saying working you mean u can control it like an iPod or do more? And when they say it wont work are they saying it wont play music?

When you saying working you mean u can control it like an iPod or do more? And when they say it wont work are they saying it wont play music?

Brings up the the playlist, artist etc on the screen of the car stereo and can be scrolled though using the dash controls. The volume and skipping forward and back can be done from the steering wheel controls.

The only problem I have found is that you cannot permenently have "shuffle" set so you have to tell it to do this once you have selected the album / artist/ playlist that you want to listen to.

To control an iPod or iPhone you will need to connect to the aux input and the USB input at the same time, the easiest way to do this is with the ford connector (part number: 1529487)

1529487-1.jpg

It works very well, I have tried using a USB flash drive but it doesn't work as well as an iPod

Where is the best place to buy the cable? Anyone got any links?

Is this the only cable that can be used or do Ford have a longer more flexible cable? Its just that I have the big chunky ipod Classic, and when I connected it to my new Fiesta with this Ford cable, I had to try to squash my ipod in the small gap infront of the handbrake. I feel this contributed to the USB port in my Fiesta breaking within a week of purchase, as the Ford cable was so rigid that as I require it to bend, it also bent the inside of the car USB port and a piece of plastic from inside the USB port snapped off.

If if is going to be a real hassle to get my car USB port replaced, could I use this:

http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_vie...products_id=249

I would just plug the ford adapter cable usb part into one of the 4 USB ports on the device mentioned above, whilst putting the aux part of the ford adapter cable into the Ford aux port in my Fiesta which is still working fine. Do you guys think this would work?

Is this the only cable that can be used or do Ford have a longer more flexible cable? Its just that I have the big chunky ipod Classic, and when I connected it to my new Fiesta with this Ford cable, I had to try to squash my ipod in the small gap infront of the handbrake. I feel this contributed to the USB port in my Fiesta breaking within a week of purchase, as the Ford cable was so rigid that as I require it to bend, it also bent the inside of the car USB port and a piece of plastic from inside the USB port snapped off.

If if is going to be a real hassle to get my car USB port replaced, could I use this:

http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_vie...products_id=249

I would just plug the ford adapter cable usb part into one of the 4 USB ports on the device mentioned above, whilst putting the aux part of the ford adapter cable into the Ford aux port in my Fiesta which is still working fine. Do you guys think this would work?

I have the same problem with the lead being very stiff, unfortunately the item you have linked to is a charger only and will not work.

Where is the best place to buy the cable? Anyone got any links?

Local ford dealer is easiest, should only take them a day to get it in if they dont have it in stock

Ford dealer said the cable fits but could not get it to control or hear anything from it. I think it might only be a problem with a iPhone 3g though.

Ford dealer said the cable fits but could not get it to control or hear anything from it. I think it might only be a problem with a iphone 3g though.

Could be. I'm still using an original iPhone, not upgraded to 3g yet!

Does anyone know when using a usb stick when you put artist and album folders on the stick you can scroll through them on the fiesta and listen to a particular album on it. thanks

Does anyone know when using a usb stick when you put artist and album folders on the stick you can scroll through them on the fiesta and listen to a particular album on it. thanks

I'll try it out for you tomorrow and let you know

I'll try it out for you tomorrow and let you know

Thanks for your help inked. Look forward to seeing your post.

Just tested, when using a USB stick it comes up with a list of the artists, scroll right for albums, and right again to songs. There is no function for shuffling songs which is a pity.

Just tested, when using a USB stick it comes up with a list of the artists, scroll right for albums, and right again to songs. There is no function for shuffling songs which is a pity.

Many thanks for going to all that trouble. Time for me to start filling up my usb stick now. Cheers

It begs the question why an iPod doesn't do the same if just using the USB port? I'll wait until I get the secret car for her and see if her iPod Touch can use either the 3.5mm jack or the USB port. My Toyota only has a 3.5mm jack and the iPod and iPhone work through that although nowt is displayed on the car. You just get the sound which is a bit rubbish when I've got a built in 7" colour display and the only thing it displays is 'AUX'. :(

Hello chaps. New Person

Just had the Fiesta in the garage for three days to have usb and bluetooth sorted out. A software update was not installed; the poor guys were going mental trying to figure it out. Sadly they and I are experts on it now!

So what have I learnt........ Well to plug an ipod or ipod touch in you MUST have the Ford Y cable; this allows the tracks to be displayed and contolled through the Ford system. I tried with two different leads (usb and a 3.5 jack) and it didn't work other than as an mp3 player into the 'line in'. Allen Ford sell the Y lead on eBay for £21.50 incl P&P delivered next day.

It's now working and it is great.

Big However, HOWEVER, the Y lead (as someone has said) is really really stiff and I reckon its only going to be a matter of weeks until the usb port breaks. There's no where to store an ipod touch or ipod without it either breaking the cable or getting tangled up in the gearstick and handbrake.Bottom line the port is in the wrong place, this should be in the glovebox. I will talk to Ford and also look at moving the port myself or perhaps buy more supple extension wires. I'll keep you posted, any questions please ask.

Hello chaps. New Person

Just had the Fiesta in the garage for three days to have usb and bluetooth sorted out. A software update was not installed; the poor guys were going mental trying to figure it out. Sadly they and I are now experts on it now!

So what have I learnt........ Well to plug an ipod or ipod touch in you MUST have the Ford Y cable; this allows the tracks to be displayed and contolled through the Ford system. I tried with two different leads (usb and a 3.5 jack) and it didn't work other than as an mp3 player into the 'line in'. Allen Ford sell the Y lead on Ebay for £21.50 incl P&P delivered next day.

It's now working and it is great.

Big However, however, the Y lead (as someone has said) is really really stiff and I reckon its only going to be a matter of weeks until the usb port breaks. There's no where to store an ipod touch or ipod without it either breaking the cable or getting tangled up in the gearstick and handbrake.Bottom line the port is in the wrong place, this should be in the glovebox. I will talk to Ford and also look at moving the port myself or perhaps buy more supple extension wires. I'll keep you posted, any questions please ask.

Yeah mate keep us posted as my usb port has already broken due to the infelxibility of the ford ipod cable. Thankfully it only takes about 10mins to fit a new usb port.