Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 Petrol Or 1.6 Diesel

Phil Griff

Hi all,

I am upgrading my car this month, and after hours and hours of test drives, reviews etc. I have fianlly narrowed my choice down to three options:

1. Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Zetec S
  2. Fiesta 1.4 Zetec/(Possibly Titanium)

I am only 18 and currently drive a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 04 plate, which is possibly the worst purchase I ever made! After being in a full time trainee finance position for over 6 months, I've decided I need a better car as mine looks like and drives like a heap of junk!

I cannot get insured on the 1.6 Petrols, and Ford no longer make the 1.6 TDCi Zetec's, and now just make the 1.6 TDCi eco ones. I don't want to get a eco one as I can't justify 3 seconds 0-60 for 10 mpg.

This has left me with just the Zetec S, as I sadly cannot afford the titanium. I test drove a 1.6 TDCi Titanium today which has the works! Body kit, leather seats, near enough everything. I believe the engines are the same as in the Zetec S, and I was very pleased. However, I know the Zetec S's suspension is harder, and I'm not sure I will like that. Does it really make that much difference.

Since getting home after the test drive, I have been looking a lot again, and have now thrown the thought of the 1.4 Petrol in the mix. I'm not too worried about the difference in fuel consumption, but more just after the actual acceleration and speed. I have never driven a diesel for more than a few hours, and usually when I have driven them, it has just been sat at 80 on the motorway.

My main concern is that it is going to be just as bad as the Corsa on A/B roads, and I will need to get about a mile run up to overtake something.

Could anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Alright mate just in december i went from a 1.2 petrol to a 1.6 tdci zetec s & id say for the most part its great! Theres a lot of low down torque so i find overtaking to be easy & instant :D i mostly drive a/b roads & i think it handles brilliantly, plus averaging 50-55 mpg :P Only downside is i find that i feel every lump & bump in the road but in saying that the roads where i live are horrendous haha!

Hope this helps :)

I'm the same went from an 1.8 focus petrol to a mk7 tdci zetec s and if anything the fez is loads more powerful than the focus and handles just as well only downside is the ride so if roads are bad near you go for the titanium and just put the zetec s body kit on it

People buy horse power but drive torque. Look up the torque figs of petrol vs. Diesel fester engines. Unless you are on a race track driving at max revs ALL the time, Diesels are quicker in the real world. However unless you are doing lots of miles the extra £ for the DERV over the 1.4 petrol may not be justifiable?

The 1.4 is quite punchy to be honest, here in Wales the motorways are quite hilly and if I put my foot down in 5th it still pulls well going UP hill. Can pull out at 50mph and keep accelerating up to 70 up the hill. Avg over 45mpg too.

I have the ZS diesel, it's a great engine. Can't wait for Mountune to release a remap for it :P

I have the ZS diesel, it's a great engine. Can't wait for Mountune to release a remap for it :P

Yeh should be even better if they ever get around to doing it superchips have just released a map for it but it's not ford approved

I mailed them recently and they said to keep an eye on Facebook and their site, so could be hinting. It's definitely in the works.

1.6 is infinitely better than the 1.4

16v vs. 8v. Far more smother, more grown up engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club