• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Redspudder

Redspudder

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus
Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

My wife has a 61plate Fiesta titanium i dont drive it much,we have had the car for a couple of months.She asked me about the cruise control yesterday saying she set it at 30MPH going down a local bank/hill that is quite steep and about 2 mile long which is notorius for speed traps.She said once set at 30 and going down the bank the car gathered speed until she got to around 40MPH and felt the need to brake.So today i drove the car in the same manor down the same bank and sure enough same thing happened i was baffled,when i checked the hand book it states the car will not brake under cruise cont on an hill,so infact the cruise control should be advertised as cruise control (but read the small print only works on he flat!) i just find this pointless.I have no previous experience of ford cruise control is this how they all work?
I own an Audi with cruise control and this if set at for example 30MPH will keep the car at this speed up hill (you can feel car accelerate) and when going downhill (you can feel car braking to maintain the set speed)the car only drops out of cruise control mode should i brake or cancel it via the selector.
I use cruise control in the Audi quite a lot mainly in 30MPH especially in known speed traps to keep me below or on the speed limit in these areas flat,downhill or uphill it is far supperior to the cruise cont on the Ford after what i have discovered today.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 MisiekT

MisiekT

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Michal
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6 Ti-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

yep, that's how it works - it's clearly written in the manual you should "help" cruise control by reducing the gear and push SET- button

PS. it's quite obvious Ford isn't an Audi or MB :)

#3 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have CC on my fiesta too. It does accelerate if you're going uphill but yes, as you found it doesn't brake for you.

Going down hill it won't accelerate at all if the car starts travelling above the set speed and the driver has to then take action to slow the car back to the desired speed.

#4 Redspudder

Redspudder

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I never said a ford is an audi i was simply comparing the cruise control systems and in my eyes the Ford one is pointless its not controlling anything when going downhill?
In addition to this as you say it says in the manual (i agree as i read it today)press set button and change gear to keep below 30MPH would need to be a low gear probably revving the b@lls off the car surely being less economical (yes you wouldnt be driving like this allday)also if you help it along by braking or lower gear the pressing set the car would just speed back up once youve let go of the brake meaning the system is pointless on this scenario

#5 pragmatix

pragmatix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name: Pete
  • Ford Model: Mondea 2Ltr Tdci Ghia X Estate
  • Year: 2002

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

I noticed that on my Mondeo, thought it was just me, after the C5 and Laguna it seems daft

#6 rojariggs

rojariggs

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Name: Roger
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I've had about 20 cars with cruise control over the years (Ford, BMW, Jag, Renault, Honda, etc) and they all behaved the same with cruise on going downhill. They let go of the throttle and then there is a tiny bit of engine braking but that's about it. My current Fiesta is also the same.

This is the way standard cruise control is supposed to work. Some makes and models do brake (or change down if autos) to hold the speed back but these are very much the exception.

To describe Ford standard cruise control as pointless for behaving like any other standard cruise control is a bit much!

#7 MisiekT

MisiekT

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Michal
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6 Ti-VCT

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

probably revving the b@lls off the car surely being less economical

on the contrary - braking with the engine is 100% economical - engine is powered by the wheels and you actually burn zero fuel (up to about 1,5k rpms when electronics kick in to prevent the engine from stopping)

#8 Stewie316

Stewie316

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Kyle
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 - Hot Magenta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

I would never use cruise control on a road thats 30mph to 40mph, to dangerous in my opinion. I only started using cruise control last Tuesday for the first time since purchase last year. I can say it works and stops my heavy foot from doing excessive speed. I noticed after my highway journey my MPG went up as well.

I'd only use cruise control for highway roads or at least 60MPH. Makes my journey so much more smooth.

#9 PumpkinSteve

PumpkinSteve

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 292 posts
  • Name: Steven
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 125ps

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Cruise control is primarily for use on motorways, hence braking is not really necessary as motorways are generally flat.

#10 adamc260

adamc260

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name: Adam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.4 (3 Door)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

I use my cruise control every single day! We have a few hills around here... I never use it going down steep slopes or going up them really but have found on normal hills it doesn't let the car run away with speed! Seems fine in my car.

#11 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

I would never use cruise control on a road thats 30mph to 40mph, to dangerous in my opinion.

I'd only use cruise control for highway roads or at least 60MPH. Makes my journey so much more smooth.

Cruise control is primarily for use on motorways, hence braking is not really necessary

Completely agree, I never use CC on city streets, only motorways when its safe to do so (i.e when not too conjested and when traffic is moving at a constant speed)

Paul :)

#12 Redspudder

Redspudder

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Pretty much like football is the debate on CC its all about opinions!I have been using CC around town for the last few years now in the Audi with no issues at all obviously i dont use it on side streets or at peak bumper to bumper times but use it quite often in 30MPH zones main roads to the keep speed down and works really well and keeps any speeding tickets off the door step!
Also if im on a motor way and hit a hill the Audi (dont want to keep mentioning the Audi but thats what im using as my comparison) will be kept at 70MPH,but if i was to do that in the Fiesta the car would build pace so i guess i would have to start faffing about at over 70MPH with the gears to "help" the engine maintain the 70MPH CC setting what a load of rubish i will just tell the wife to stop using it problem solved.

Stewie just out of interest why do you consider it to dangerous to use CC in lower speed limit areas?

#13 rojariggs

rojariggs

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

in the Fiesta the car would build pace so i guess i would have to start faffing about at over 70MPH with the gears to "help" the engine maintain the 70MPH CC setting what a load of rubish i will just tell the wife to stop using it problem solved

You have clearly been spoilt by your Audi! 99% of cars behave exactly like your Fiesta (including the Audi I used to own!).

#14 Redspudder

Redspudder

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

You have clearly been spoilt by your Audi! 99% of cars behave exactly like your Fiesta (including the Audi I used to own!).

This maybe true!I asked a couple of my mates yesterday one has a golf R32 and said the CC behaves the same as the Audi,my old man has a Jag XF which also behaves in this way.From what i understand of his reply above Pragmatix has had a C5 and Laguna that also behave in the same manor.

I have found this on Ford website even that is wrong as it states " Once you’ve chosen the speed you wish to drive at, the cruise control keeps your car moving at that speed until you press the brake or clutch pedals." (unless Descending should be mentioned)!

http://www.ford.co.u...e/CruiseControl

Edited by Redspudder, 04 March 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#15 rojariggs

rojariggs

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have found this on Ford website even that is wrong as it states " Once you’ve chosen the speed you wish to drive at, the cruise control keeps your car moving at that speed until you press the brake or clutch pedals." (unless Descending should be mentioned)!

Ford's description is not wrong. They have described standard cruise control. Until recently CC never was able to control descending speed. You will find that the CC brochure description for the cars you mention (all of which are very modern, very high spec cars) will mention the ADDITIONAL feature that the CC on them slows down hills.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users