Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Cruise Control Pointless?

Redspudder

With CC on modern cars, the car's ECU works with the CC to provde far more precise throttle control than a driver can. It will also shut off the fuel supply completely on the overrun. There are little tricks you can use like knocking off the CC just before the brow of a hill and switching it back on once on the downhill. You should also not let CC accelerate you back up to speed when going uphill. Maintain the slower speed until you reach the level and then build the speed up. CC compared to a driver alone is more economical in most situations - the situations where it is not are those where you can see whats coming but the CC can't.

I used to drive for a living (60,000+ miles a year) and have done many fuel economy driving courses and the first thing you are told on these courses are to use CC when you can. Comparing the same journeys in the same vehicle with and without CC over the years and CC wins for economy every time.

On older cars, CC used to be very poor for economy but the advances in ECUs, throttles and fuel control mean that CC used correctly is now very good for economy.

Thanks for the replies,with regard to the Audi it doesnt have adaptive CC just the standard CC and i will continue to use it 30MPH limits i find it works well for me not as if i fall asleep at the wheel as soon as i engage cc i am still alert to what is going on,we have quite a lot of long stretches of main roads near us that are 30MPH but not many traffic lights or roundabouts in yes still side roads but like i say im still alert to brake just as i would if i was in manual,these stretches are notorious speed traps.

My Audi is a manual so no issues with auto changing gear for me.

I have to say other than this gripe i have with the cc i have to say that SO far the Fiesta has been a cracking buy nicely loaded for a small car and quite roomy and decent to drive,it comes up great when cleaned im using werkstat on it and the flake pop from the car is unreal (moonstone silver),i say SO far due to the fact that we bought a 55plate focus brand new as the previous car and for the first 6months was in and out of the garage due to water leaking into the boot it was finally resolved and after that served us well apart from it drank fuel (1.6 petrol).

You've confused cruise control with speed limiter, they're totally different. I've driven plenty of cars with CC and most had a different button/option you could choose indicating whether you cruised or limited at the desired speed. Some would allow you to do both, sound like this is what you thought the fiesta did.

You've confused cruise control with speed limiter, they're totally different. I've driven plenty of cars with CC and most had a different button/option you could choose indicating whether you cruised or limited at the desired speed. Some would allow you to do both, sound like this is what you thought the fiesta did.

No speedlimiter option or any mention of it in the Audi just CC also the same in the Jag and Golf which is what im comparing to.

You have to take into consideration the price of the vehicles.

Apart from the Golf the other cars are at least 3 times the price of a Ford.

You get what you pay for.

No speedlimiter option or any mention of it in the Audi just CC also the same in the Jag and Golf which is what im comparing to.

Strange.... cos there was on the Mercs, beemers, audis, and even 911 I've had the pleasure of driving, these were all circa 2010 so nothing radically new. Oh and the dreadful Honda insight had it, mind numbingly painful car to drive :(

• 1 year later...

Having just bought my third Fiesta I've been playing with it's cruise control.

We also have a late '09 BMW 520D which will brake the car on downhill sections to maintain the set speed - the handbook in this Titanium model states that the Fiesta will not do this - so flat roads are best.

On the flat, i.e., motorways etc, I often get 58 - 62 mpg in the 520 with cruise control - I expect will similarly increase my mpg in the Fiesta.

Like all enhancements on cars, the cruise control is an aid to driving in certain conditions, not a panacea to all conditions.

Be safe out there,

LP

Having just bought my third Fiesta I've been playing with it's cruise control.

We also have a late '09 BMW 520D which will brake the car on downhill sections to maintain the set speed - the handbook in this Titanium model states that the Fiesta will not do this - so flat roads are best.

On the flat, i.e., motorways etc, I often get 58 - 62 mpg in the 520 with cruise control - I expect will similarly increase my mpg in the Fiesta.

Like all enhancements on cars, the cruise control is an aid to driving in certain conditions, not a panacea to all conditions.

Be safe out there,

LP

I was looking at getting the e60 520D possibly the 530D after my fiesta, what's your thoughts on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app