• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: leo
  • Ford Model: fusion 2 tdci
  • Year: 2003

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

hi i hope some one can help i have just brought a fusion and need some help
i do not have a owners manual yet and having problems with the power steering it works when driving the car but when it comes to parking
i have no power steering unless i put my foot on the gas then it works but not good for getting into tights spaces

also the front wipers do not work probably if i have it on the slow setting it stops at the top off the window for about 40 sec and then gos back down
could this be a relay or is the motor on its way out
i have try ed to have a look at the motor but there is a black plate bolted to the shock mounts
so put it back together

lastly can some one tell me how to change the time as its way out
thanks Leo

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

with the power steering first thing to check is the level of the fluid and belt tightness also check for any sign of leaks, the wipers does sound like a faulty relay but its hard to say without inspection.

#3 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

with the power steering first thing to check is the level of the fluid and belt tightness also check for any sign of leaks, the wipers does sound like a faulty relay but its hard to say without inspection.

hi mintalkin
the powere fluid was low so i have toped this up when i got the car there are no leaks what i can see
and the belt is tight and is spining the power steering pump when idle could there be a air lock

where would i find the relay for the front wipers
thanks leo

#4 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

\

#5 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

The relay in the wiper circuit is for the intermittent wipe function and is an integral part of the GEM.

If the wipers work on high speed and intermittent and they also park when switched off, replace the switch.

Motor problems are more typically parking (home position) problems.

Good luck. oh and the button next to the trip mileage reset button should put the clock into adjust mode.

hi i figured out the clock
when you say switch do you mean the wiper stalk switch

#6 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

\

#7 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

update i got a second hand stalk from a ford spears which i can not fit because of some funny shaped screws grrrrr
and have the car booked in for a full service on Friday and they are going to replace the power steering fluid at extra cost

#8 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

\

#9 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

OK i have just replaced the wiper stalk and this as not fixed the problem
whats next to try relay or motor

#10 blackfusion

blackfusion

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: sy
  • Ford Model: fusion
  • Year: 2008

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

i too have a problem with my 2008 ford fusion steering, like yours it is fine when driving but not good when doing manoeuvres, also slight straining noise on full lock. took back to the guys i got it from and they said its because its an assisted manual power steering set up which relies on the engine rather than an electric pump set up which does not, this makes sense as when revs are high steering is easy. I would be interested if changing your fluid helps as this would mean they where spinning me a line and it is a fault

#11 NTech

NTech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Fusion 2

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

In relation to the problem with the wipers on slow speed I have not had this problem with my Fusion but a previous car did.Did you try the wipers with the blades lifted off the windscreen?.My problem with my previous car was the 3 finger contacts in the wiper rotor assembly,the grease the manufacturers applied had dried out and when the wipers came under pressure ie at mid way on the sweep the pins could not ride over the small build up of hard grease and stopped (when on fast speed the momentum was able to carry them over) I removed the wiper assembly and rotated it by connecting it to a 12V battery and used a small piece of plastic and a cloth soaked in methylated spirit to clean the tracks and then coated the track with electrical contact grease and it lasted for years before I sold the car on.I know it is a long shot but possibly worth a try. good luck Regards NTecH

#12 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

i too have a problem with my 2008 ford fusion steering, like yours it is fine when driving but not good when doing manoeuvres, also slight straining noise on full lock. took back to the guys i got it from and they said its because its an assisted manual power steering set up which relies on the engine rather than an electric pump set up which does not, this makes sense as when revs are high steering is easy. I would be interested if changing your fluid helps as this would mean they where spinning me a line and it is a fault

i had the power steering fluid changed and the garage also put something Else in to help with it but it made no differences
the garage spoke to the ford tec who said there is a idle Valve or something in the pump its self and that i would need a new pump
so I'm wondering if the fiesta pump is the same as they are about £30 to 40 on ebay

#13 blackfusion

blackfusion

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: sy
  • Ford Model: fusion
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

thanks Leo, if you do change your pump and it fixes the problem, let me know and i will chase my garage

#14 leo2

leo2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

In relation to the problem with the wipers on slow speed I have not had this problem with my Fusion but a previous car did.Did you try the wipers with the blades lifted off the windscreen?.My problem with my previous car was the 3 finger contacts in the wiper rotor assembly,the grease the manufacturers applied had dried out and when the wipers came under pressure ie at mid way on the sweep the pins could not ride over the small build up of hard grease and stopped (when on fast speed the momentum was able to carry them over) I removed the wiper assembly and rotated it by connecting it to a 12V battery and used a small piece of plastic and a cloth soaked in methylated spirit to clean the tracks and then coated the track with electrical contact grease and it lasted for years before I sold the car on.I know it is a long shot but possibly worth a try. good luck Regards NTecH

thanks i will have a go at this weekend if its not rain ing
the wiper motor is bolted to the front shook if i unbolt this will the front shook drop to the ground or will it be OK

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users