Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Whooshing Coming From Engine

Philip Baillie

On Friday morning a loud whooshing noise started coming from the engine bay I went to the local garage and they had a look and there were no split hoses or signs of soot on the top of the engine bay so it went up on the ramp and the sump guard came off but still no sign

So I went away for the weekend with the caravan on the back on the way back there was a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust and it's using a lot of diesel

The car is a 1.8 tdci focus estate 57 reg

Any advice would be good at the moment

• 8 months later...

Sounds to me like a split in the boost hose

Did they check the intercooler hoses?

Does it lack power?

Go out, leave it to warm up & give it a rev, turbo should boost around 2500rpm, check to see how much smoke comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

turbo starts to spool approx 1500 rmp, mine max's out at 3500 done with torq app and elm 327 bluetooth adaptor. i have same problem, im thinking air leak, can you hear yours on tick over, or just in boost?

The boost hose/s can split due to the movement between the engine/ chassis, splits can be hard to spot, they can be in inaccessable areas/ sometimes you need to take the hoses off to see the split

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This happened to my focus when one of the turbo hoses was not reinstalled properly following some maintenance. My car eventually went into limp home mode and had to be repaired before restoring normal mode.

• 2 weeks later...

the 1.8 diesel lynx engine that is in your car has a very very very common turbo hose to go.

stand at the front of the car with the bonnet open

on the left hand side of the engine bay as you look at it (drivers side) there is a black metal pipe

at the dashboard end of this pipe is a 90 degree bend rubber hose that connects to the turbo

THIS IS THE HOSE

check it thoroughly for splits

if split then its a trip to your local ford parts centre

unfortunately it only comes with that black metal pipe

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my 2006 1.8tdci focus. It turned out to be a split in the left hand air inlet pipe on the turbo.

• 10 months later...

My ST220 is making a loud howling noise like a giant blowing over an empty bottle! Only does it when accelerating harshly then when i let off it does it. Iv been told it could be the idle air control valve letting air back the wrong way making the noise! So have a read up on an IAC valve. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Check the large diameter hose that feeds the inlet manifold. It is secured with two pipe clips. Get a silicone replacement off eBay for about £7, don't bother with Ford. Takes about 5mins to do yourself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• 3 months later...

I'm not a technical guy when it comes to cars I can make it run and tinker that's about it but I had this problem, when looking at the engine in my 1.8 tdci I noticed there's a pipe in front of the drivers side it's only a small 90 degree pip but it had a tiny split in it which was causing the woohsing noise and ford kindly charged me £37 for that tiny right angle pipe and a bit I didn't need lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

You're lucky.

The two pipes they insist have to be changed together (rubber 90 degree pipe and metal lower part) are usually £60.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, had to buy it together for mine too.

I had to replace both of those and the fuel oil filter. All victims of friction wear. -_-

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club