Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

I noticed today when picking up a hire car for work that the Ford Galaxy (13 plate) is very similar inside to the mk2.5 focus...

Gear stick/nob the same

Oval radio same model

Dash screen also the same/similar

Hardware buttons for the dash are different and the menu differs partly, however the 'shift up' indicator is part of the display rather than a lamp.

I wondered if this was the same dash and whether the firmware is compatible.

Would take a brave sole to try and get it, and flash it (and I'm not offering!) but it this post is more to try and start a discussion as to whether the kit is the same, or my plan is a non-starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I noticed today when picking up a hire car for work that the Ford Galaxy (13 plate) is very similar inside to the mk2.5 focus...

Gear stick/nob the same

Oval radio same model

Dash screen also the same/similar

Hardware buttons for the dash are different and the menu differs partly, however the 'shift up' indicator is part of the display rather than a lamp.

I wondered if this was the same dash and whether the firmware is compatible.

Would take a brave sole to try and get it, and flash it (and I'm not offering!) but it this post is more to try and start a discussion as to whether the kit is the same, or my plan is a non-starter?

:lol: it's a hire car, give it a go... send it back if it gets broken hahaha

Haha I meant more than I'd like the shift up on my focus! I assume it's a later firmware on the Galaxy?

The Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max/Galaxy may have electrical components which look the same/similar as the electrical components of the Focus MK2/Mk2.5, C-max and Kuga but in fact they are completely different.

The instrument cluster of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max/Galaxy commucates on a different speed CANbus network than the instrument cluster of the Focus MK2/Mk2.5, C-max and Kuga. The electrical connector is the same but the instrument cluster of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max/Galaxy is not able to communicate with the electrical modules of the Focus MK2/Mk2.5, C-max and Kuga.

The oval shaped radio's of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max/Galaxy also look identical but are in fact also different. some Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max/Galaxy radio's may function in a Focus MK2/Mk2.5, C-max and Kuga but because of the different diagnostic communication these radio's can not be configured in a Focus MK2/Mk2.5, C-max and Kuga. Some radio's may show the text "Unconfigured Mode" on the display. This can not be solved because the diagnostic system is not able to communicate with the radio.

That's all folks! As you were!

(Thanks JW for the answer and explanation!)

With regards firmware you have to remember just because there is a bigger number doesn't mean necessarily that it's for your car or ECU combination. If you don't know, don't do it is the simplest methodology.

Ian did you get it all sorted? If not drop me a pm and I will see if I can help

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this question has already been covered but do you have to use the ELM lead referred to in this thread, or can you use a bluetooth ELM device?

I only ask because I already have the bluetooth device, so would rather not buy the lead if the bluetooth ELM device will do the same job.

Ta!

Hi friends,

Has somebody updated the PCM module? In order to get the shift up indicator.

I'm a Focus mk2.5 owner, Thanks.

• Like 1

Justin,

if you can find a bluetooth capable of 500000kbps then you can modify a bluetooth device and it may work, although I am not sure if ELMConfig would be able to see the bluetooth, unless you can allocate it a COMM port number.

Frankky With regards the shift-up, I believe this is only an instrument cluster change and a firmware update to the IPC not the PCM.

Apologies if this question has already been covered but do you have to use the ELM lead referred to in this thread, or can you use a bluetooth ELM device?

I only ask because I already have the bluetooth device, so would rather not buy the lead if the bluetooth ELM device will do the same job.

Ta!

A bluetooth ELM327 interface can be used but has some limitations.

A bluetooth ELM327 interface is fully capable to change settings of the different modules. If you only want to change some settings you can use the bluetooth ELM327 interface without any problems.

A Bluetooth ELM327 interface is not suitable for some more enhanced programming features like updating the firmware of the PCM or instrument cluster. For these functions you will need an USB ELM327 interface. Using a Bluetooth ELM327 interface for these functions may cause permanent damage to the module if communication errors occur. After selecting a function which require an USB ELM327 interface you will get a warning pop up message.

Hi friends,

Has somebody updated the PCM module? In order to get the shift up indicator.

I'm a Focus mk2.5 owner, Thanks.

The Shift Up / ECO Shift up indicator functionality is a relatively complex subject.

First there are 2 different designs of MK2.5 instrument cluster (next to the differences between Petrol/Diesel and ST/RS instrument clusters). The old design MK2.5 instrument cluster has a red Shift Up indicator which is activated approximately 500 RPM before the rev. limiter is activated. The new design MK2.5 instrument cluster has a green ECO Shift Up indicator which is activated on the most optimal moment to change gears in order to improve fuel efficiency.

Next to the different color of the shift light there are no differences between functionality of the old and new design MK2.5 instrument cluster. The Shift light / ECO Shift light (You can only have 1 of these 2) functions are fully controlled by the PCM. The PCM sends a (CANbus) command signal to the instrument cluster to activate the light. For this function the the instrument cluster just acts like a pass through device.

On many Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions the Shift Up / ECO Shift Up functionality does not work. Both the PCM hardware and PCM software must support this function otherwise it will not work. If one of these does not support it the shift light will never be activated.

Originally my car had a functional red Shift Up indicator which is activated approximately 500 RPM before the rev. limiter is activated. After I installed a new design MK2.5 instrument cluster the Shift Up indicator was still functional. The only difference was the green light instead of the red light. After updating the PCM firmware I lost the Shift Up functionality. This is because most of the newer PCM firmware versions only support ECO Shift Up. Because my PCM does hardwarematically not support the ECO Shift Up function this function does not work at all. I own a spare PCM which has almost the same part number as my original PCM. This PCM does not support the Shift light / ECO Shift light at all. Even with the firmware which was originally installed onto my PCM the shift light does not function.

Because it is generally unknown which PCM hardware and PCM firmware versions do/do not support the Shift light / ECO Shift light it is very difficult to get it to work. In my case I have to change the PCM for one of a late Focus MK2.5 which in my opinion is too expensive for just a functional shift light.

Exquisite explanation, Wilco.

I have the red arrow, so I don't change nothing, because you tell me.

In order to have more information, where is positioning the PCM module?

The location of the PCM is different on most engine type. On my 1.6 Duratec the PCM is located in the engine bay behind a cover on the side of the battery box.

The PCM is mounted with shear (fracture) bolts. The head of these bolts breaks loose after the correct tightening torque is achieved which makes removal a lot more difficult. The head of these bolts must be drilled off to remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

hello

i want to fit cruise control to my focus

I order an elm327 cable from eBay because the seller said to me that it has an ftdi chip.

it came yesterday but it has a pl2303 chip.

I modified it today and i try it with elmconfing and with fds programs. The elm_ff2_en has characters that i can not read so i did not try it .

the elmconfing and the fds can read and write HS-CAN modules

they can not read the MS-CAN modules.

with the elmconfing program when i place the switch of the modified elm327 to hs-can and trying to read from GEM it show a CAN ERROR message. i think this is right.

but when i place the switch to ms-can and trying to read from gem it show a NO DATA message

why is this happens?

i check the wires to the switch and they seems ok

is there a posibility the not ftdi chip makes the problem and i can not read gem module?

have anyone with a pl2303 chip read and write the pcm module or i have to buy another elm cable

Even with a PL2303 chipset it should be no problem to diagnose the MS CANbus network. The only problem of the PL2303 chipset may be the maximum Baudrate (some chipsets do and some chipsets do not support the higher Baudrates that are necessary for some functons of the ELMconfig program).

Did you rewire the ELM327 interface correctly? There should be pin numbers on the OBD connector of the ELM327 interface. It is a pretty common fault that people mirror the connector pins and rewire the wrong pins.

If the ELM327 interface is rewired correctly it should technically be able to diagnose the MS CANbus network without any problems. After rewiring the ELM327 interface must be set up for the MS CANbus network. This can be done manually or with ELMconfig.

After the ELMconfig software is openened you have to select "Adapter setup" and next "Setup Adapter for MS-CAN bus". You only have to do this once. After the ELM327 interface is setup for the MS CANbus network it should work without any problem.

Even with a PL2303 chipset it should be no problem to diagnose the MS CANbus network. The only problem of the PL2303 chipset may be the maximum Baudrate (some chipsets do and some chipsets do not support the higher Baudrates that are necessary for some functons of the ELMconfig program).

Did you rewire the ELM327 interface correctly? There should be pin numbers on the OBD connector of the ELM327 interface. It is a pretty common fault that people mirror the connector pins and rewire the wrong pins.

If the ELM327 interface is rewired correctly it should technically be able to diagnose the MS CANbus network without any problems. After rewiring the ELM327 interface must be set up for the MS CANbus network. This can be done manually or with ELMconfig.

After the ELMconfig software is openened you have to select "Adapter setup" and next "Setup Adapter for MS-CAN bus". You only have to do this once. After the ELM327 interface is setup for the MS CANbus network it should work without any problem.

thank you Wilco for the quick replay.

you are right i wasnot setup adapter for ms-can bus. i had select auto select and i thought that i have to do nothing more.

the speed test was not working except if i select 9600 baudrate.

the max speed that my chip support is 256.000 and that baudrate i select for the constant speed.

Now the speed test is working only if i select the 256.000 baudrate and i can read and write to HS-CAN and also to MS-CAN

can i read and write the pcm module with that speed or i have to buy another elm327 which support 500.000

thank again wilco

Any idea what's changed in the latest version?

no idea yet

As far as I have seen there are no major changes on version 0.2.14. On this version some bugs are solved and some functions are improved.

On the Russian forum there is a list with all changes. I translated this list from Russian to English so possibly the translation is not completely correct.

Changes:

* Added ability to read / write firmware modules PCM Visteon ESU-121 (engines 1.8, 2.0 Duratec HE) (Platform C307).

* Added ability to read / write firmware modules PCM Bosch EDC16C3-9 (including read full flash) (engines DV6 / 1.6 TDCI 110 HP) (platform C307).

* Added ability to read full dump flash (full flash) modules PCM Bosch EDC16C34-2 / 5 (engines DV6 / 1.6 TDCI) (platform C307).

* Added ability to read / write firmware modules PCM Siemens SID83A / 803A / 83M (engines 2.0 TDCi 136 HP) (platform C307).

* Added ability to read / write firmware modules PCM Siemens SID803 (engines 2.0 TDCi 136 HP) (platform C307). NOT TESTED ON THE MACHINE! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If anyone dare, please report the result.

* Added ability to write firmware modules TCM automatic 4F27E (engines 1.6 Duratec and 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE) (C307 platform).

* Added ability to read / write the classification of the fuel injectors Modules PCM Siemens SID202 / 206/803 / 83A / 803A / 83M (Platform C307).

* Added support for ELM327 Interfaces based on chip STN1110 and STN1151.

* Added support speeds 2,5M 5M and 10M for compatibility with future versions of ELS27 (Russian interface).

* Added check for the appropriate version of the program and file frw.dat to exclude the possibility of using an incompatible file.

* Added ability to select the read only field calibration firmware modules Siemens SID202 / 206 / 83A / 803A / 83M and Bosch EDC16C34-2 / 5 (platform C307).

* Added ability to disable the compatibility check the PCM and flash when recording to be able to write blocks until supported by the program, but is fully compatible with the supported (platform C307) used only if you fully understand the purpose and effect disable this check !

* Added ability to update firmware modules PCM Visteon ESU-121/131 without overwriting firmware Quizzer (platform C307).

* Change the size of the firmware file Quizzer for compatibility with ADS (Russian diagnostic system). Older files are also supported (platform C307).

* corrected and improved procedure of reading the firmwarefrom modules, reduced the likelihood of errors when reading

* Modified the procedure for identifying blocks PCM Bosch ME9.0 (2.5T engines Ford Kuga / Focus ST / RS)

* Fixed a bug caused when using certain ELM327 when trying to write to the radio VIN (platform C307).

* Fixed bug in reading and writing firmware modules PCM Bosch ME9.0 (2.5T engines 225 / 305 Ford Focus ST / RS).

* Fixed bug with loading files PHF blocks Bosch EDC16C34-2 / 5 (platform C307).

* Fixed bug identification modules Chinese Visteon ESU -411/418 (platform C307).

* Fixed conversion algorithm dimensions wheels option (on / mile) in the configuration PCM (platform C307).

* Fixes in the module configuration SRM (platform C307).

* Fixed bug recording bluetooth-module name SRM (C307 platform).

* Fixed bug reading information and configure the module KVM (C307 platform).

* Fixed an error processing the results of the calibration of sensors auto-corrector (platform C307).

* Fixed bug in the central configuration parameter "speed warning device" ( platform CD34x).

* Fixed other minor bugs.

I've updated my car with double lock ect and now I don't have alarm. somehow it's disarmed itself and I have tried to put the GEM back to normal still nothing. I have made a separate post about it if anyone has come across this problem. Thanks

Hi, my focus has a 9M51-12A650-BF PCM file, as this is not available to download can I flash with the newer BH file as elmconfig now supports writing to the TDCi engine?

Can anybody explain why ford changed the firmware on my ECU?

Started off with standard calibration... Then they reflashed it with keyless calibration, despite my car not being keyfree?

2BD2F2E5-6D1D-4420-B05D-929C1C6B94B5_zps

EEE8E6B0-C98E-4E9D-A552-9238C5EF17CC_zps

7519F7FD-D7F1-4EEF-946E-C2DB7C498036.png

Not sure there, where have the 2 labels come from that you've got the photos of?

Usually each change in software level would just take the last letter of the suffix up a level, so your software level would be ATD going up a level to ATE.

But the 8M51 version does look like it applies the the same models as the 7M51 i.e. DW10BTED4, Stage 4 emissions, aDPF and so on. Could be that certain levels of the later software applied fixes for a keyless starting issue which they could bundle with same software for non-keyless cars - for a car with the 8M51 12A650 ANE software you could have someone asking why it doesn't say keyless when the previous ones do.

Did Ford actually build the Focus with specific ECU's hardware levels for different spec cars then? the way I've seen it done is a generic module used say for main engine type, i.e. petrol or diesel, ST and so on and then the vehicle specific software is flashed in at a later stage.