insomniac

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

So I was reading the HEC via usb cable, the Head unit flashed and then everything went black except for the indicators. Now lots of things aren't working. I can start the car but no throttle, no opening windows, no locking the car with the remote.

Plz help! I'm getting NO DATA errors when trying to read or flash 509 rom.

HUdate.jpg

indicators.jpg

#1293 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Have you already tried to remove the positive battery cable for about half an hour?

If removing the battery cable does not solve the problem you can try to remove the instrument cluster from the car, connect it directly to a (12 Volt DC) power source and the ELM327 interface and perform the firmware update again . Sometimes this will solve the problem. 

P5100022.jpg

If performing the update outside the car also does not solve the problem there are only a few possibillities. You can buy and re-program another (either brand new or already used) instrument cluster or take the current (not working) instrument cluster to a specialized company for repair (if possible).

I own an instrument cluster which has similar problems like yours. It came from someone who tried to perform the firmware update and aborted the update before it was finished. Afterwards the screen turns black and nothing seems to work. The guy who did this had to buy and re-program another instrument cluster because he needs his car every day. Until now I have not been able to get it to work again.

#1294 insomniac

insomniac

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks JW! Disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a few hours seemed to give the battery a boost and it unlocked the doors. But it wouldn't start so I suspected a flat. I called roadside assist and they jump started my car fine... all working again.

So I suspect my battery voltage fell too low for it to read properly and subsequently stuffed up my HEC read. I'm not going to try anything else until I replace the battery, but I did get most of the GEM stuff out of the way anyway.

Thanks again and cheers for the awesome guide and software!

#1295 wy852852

wy852852

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: ford focus 2.5

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Have you already tried to remove the positive battery cable for about half an hour?

If removing the battery cable does not solve the problem you can try to remove the instrument cluster from the car, connect it directly to a (12 Volt DC) power source and the ELM327 interface and perform the firmware update again . Sometimes this will solve the problem. 

P5100022.jpg

If performing the update outside the car also does not solve the problem there are only a few possibillities. You can buy and re-program another (either brand new or already used) instrument cluster or take the current (not working) instrument cluster to a specialized company for repair (if possible).

I own an instrument cluster which has similar problems like yours. It came from someone who tried to perform the firmware update and aborted the update before it was finished. Afterwards the screen turns black and nothing seems to work. The guy who did this had to buy and re-program another instrument cluster because he needs his car every day. Until now I have not been able to get it to work again.

Hello!

1. ELM327 line how to take it?
2. ELM327 the connecting plate what role? Must use this?

Thany you very much

#1296 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

well since having the cable working fine i decided to do the mod to acces the other menus, followed the first page but when i plugged it into the car, it gave me engine malfunction and all kind of sounds and lights were flashing, so unplugged it, think the car is ok as i only tried to read the config of the car,

will have to double check my wiring and confirm the correct pin outs from the first page

#1297 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

well since having the cable working fine i decided to do the mod to acces the other menus, followed the first page but when i plugged it into the car, it gave me engine malfunction and all kind of sounds and lights were flashing, so unplugged it, think the car is ok as i only tried to read the config of the car,

will have to double check my wiring and confirm the correct pin outs from the first page

Looks like you crossed the H-can and M-can wires

#1298 James Simpson

James Simpson

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus ST2
  • Year: 2010

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

I've made a few of these modified ELM boxes with a switch - looks professional:
IMG_1400-620x350.jpg

Also written a guide (just updated it with the latest version of ELMConfig - V0.2.6)

Will keep it updated, as I've been following the Russian thread for a little while, and also playing around with the UCDS & FF2 programs - So far I think the ELMConfig is the best, and I've also been creating my own little program, which I'm still working on at the moment

Edited by James Simpson, 30 April 2013 - 04:56 PM.
Removed selling reference, minimum post count applies, please read selling rules.

#1299 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thanks guys ill keep that in mind james if I doesnt go to plan, I just realised ididnt use the putty programme, I dont know if this would of caused the error

#1300 James Simpson

James Simpson

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus ST2
  • Year: 2010

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

You will need to use the putty program to enable the extra features - this could fine well be the cause of the issues you're having.

#1301 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

yeh ll double check my wiring tomorrow and then use the software to program it,

#1302 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

You dont need to use the PuTTy program anymore. You should update my guide. Ops I mean your guide James !

#1303 mayak

mayak

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name: Marcin
  • Ford Model: Focus mk 2
  • Year: 2007

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

James,

quite nice description how to add a switch to ELM327 - but 4 prongs switch (without neutral position) will work fine.

My biggest remark is that putty is completely not needed to enable MS-CAN
in ELMConfig, because Sergey had taken care of that: in old versions
there was a button to enable MS-CAN n right upper corner, and in later
versions ou need to press 'ELM327 setup' from first screen and then
press 'Setup ELM327 for MS-CAN bus' (prior to hitting this button, you
need to select the right speed and port number) - ELMConfig will send
those commands that you type in putty. Much easier.

#1304 J-K

J-K

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Jaakko
  • Ford Model: Kuga
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi you all! I have been playing with ELMConfig some time already, but what I cannot find anywhere is how to get my car's DLR mode activated. I do not mean attaching LED Daylights, but turning on the option that the headlamps turn on automatically at a lower power everytime the engine is running even with having the light selector at zero-position ("Scandinavian mode").

Is it possible to turn on with ELMConfig or ELM-FF2, or any other program using MS-can/HS-can cable? My Ford dealer wants 70 euros for the change which himself says "can be changed in the ECU without extra wiring" and it feels so stupid to pay such an amount of money for the feature, since I am able to change much more features with ELMConfig by myself... Here in Finland daylights are compulsory at all times, and it is much nicer to have them automatically than forget to turn them manually on every now and then  :)

#1305 mayak

mayak

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name: Marcin
  • Ford Model: Focus mk 2
  • Year: 2007

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

in FF2 platform (so also Kuga) scandinavian lights are purely hardware - no software

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users