Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

You may have an ELM327 interface with the wrong chipset wich can not be set to a higher speed than 38400. The cheap Chinese ELM327 interfaces can be equipped with a few different chipsets. In the past I bought and modified about 20 ELM327 interfaces and found 3 different types of chipsets which also uses different drivers. 

These different chipsets are from the following manufacturers:

* FTDI

* Silicon Labs

* Profilic

My experience is that only the ELM327 with FTDI chipset is capable to work at a speed of 500000. For the other chipsets it is not possible. Trying to change the speed in ELMconfig results in an error.

The type of chipset which is used for the ELM327 interface can be determined by the drivers that are used.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#1382 minimadgriff

minimadgriff

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus RS (The original) & Ford Kuga
  • Year: Non

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Great thread, I must say! Hats of to the brains behind it all.

Am I right in assuming everyone is using the cheap units off eBay, which don't actually use a genuine ELM327 chip?

I have searched high and low for a Elm327 that actually uses a genuine ELM chip.

Anyone got a link to the best one to buy please?

#1383 Krait

Krait

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Focus ST
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

It is not a matter of the ELM327 chip... The problem is with the data transfer via USB. From the programmer's point of view, it is quite complicated to properly arrange data transfer through the USB interface. One of the simplest solutions is the creation of virtual COM ports (of course, dedicated chipsets are needed) - virtual COM ports are easy to program. This, however, has many drawbacks, eg. speed and reliability. It is much better to use a special chipset, which does not require virtual COM ports and uses "direct drivers" instead. FTDI makes such chips - unlike virtual COM ports they are fast, reliable and easy to program (they are already pre-programmed by the manufacturer, freeing the programmers from the most tedious work). So it's clear, why the ELM327 interfaces with FTDI chipset are strongly recommended.

PS: FTDI chipset can be used also with virtual COM ports - drivers for both modes (VCP and DD) can be downloaded from the FTDI site. 

#1384 jbeer

jbeer

Ford Friends

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Name: Jason
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk2.5 2.0TDCi Titanium X
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

I have made several changes to the HEC/GEM modules and have been watching and reading the Russian site for the updates and the PCM but to be honest I will not be touching anything on the modules as the risk of scr*wing up the module is too great as once its gone wrong no back up can rectify it :(

Kudos to those that try, you guys have bigger balls than me lol

#1385 Teabags

Teabags

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Name: DB
  • Ford Model: Focus ST

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Has anybody a link to the latest ELMconfig?

#1386 minimadgriff

minimadgriff

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus RS (The original) & Ford Kuga
  • Year: Non

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

It is not a matter of the ELM327 chip... The problem is with the data transfer via USB. From the programmer's point of view, it is quite complicated to properly arrange data transfer through the USB interface. One of the simplest solutions is the creation of virtual COM ports (of course, dedicated chipsets are needed) - virtual COM ports are easy to program. This, however, has many drawbacks, eg. speed and reliability. It is much better to use a special chipset, which does not require virtual COM ports and uses "direct drivers" instead. FTDI makes such chips - unlike virtual COM ports they are fast, reliable and easy to program (they are already pre-programmed by the manufacturer, freeing the programmers from the most tedious work). So it's clear, why the ELM327 interfaces with FTDI chipset are strongly recommended.

PS: FTDI chipset can be used also with virtual COM ports - drivers for both modes (VCP and DD) can be downloaded from the FTDI site. 

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Do you have a link to an ELM327 that is the best one to purchase?

#1387 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi

Is there anything for the mk3 focus yet :-( seems i have been waiting forever

Jamie

#1388 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,187 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Nothing yet that I am aware of :(

#1389 LordSnick

LordSnick

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Svein
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Titanium X Sport
  • Year: 2010

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

with my bluetooth adapter i have to use elmconfig 2.6 to be able to read and write to the ccd on my mondeo.

But after i have written changes like home safe lighting it seems like it doesn't change.

Tried autolocking and shift light also, no change at all. I don't know if any one knows why?

#1390 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,187 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

the bluetooth as far as I am aware only communicates on one frequency, but I dont think it has the ability to write, thats why most of us went down the modified cable route...

#1391 LordSnick

LordSnick

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Svein
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Titanium X Sport

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

the bluetooth as far as I am aware only communicates on one frequency, but I dont think it has the ability to write, thats why most of us went down the modified cable route...

It Writes to the car. Becuse if i read from the car after i change something it has changed. But i don't have the option to use it. Anyway, i will order an usb elm and modify it, just so i can help out some fellas where i live.

#1392 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,187 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

autolocking may not be compatible, get me home lights are applied only when you have keys out of ignition and pull back on the light stalk to flash main beams,  as for shift light, I guess you may only have a rev limited shift light and not an eco shift in your particular instrument cluster software.

I guess if you can read and write these must be the only other reasons...?

#1393 FekuFord

FekuFord

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Kuga Titanium X
Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

pcm.jpg

Anyone know what this error code means and how to correct it?

Thanks.

#1394 rus-45

rus-45

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Name: Dmitriy
  • Ford Model: Focus II

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

A new program ELMConfig. http://ffclub.ru/top..._post/14283882/

#1395 Cragrat

Cragrat

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi FekuFord, I have the same problem see my earlier posts starting at number 1364. Iv'e not got this sorted yet. Several usefull posts I have yet to investigate. It may be a virtual Com Port (VCP) speed problem. The max I can get is 38400 but to read the PCM it apparently needs 500000. If you get any progress let me know. Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users