Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

16 minutes ago, jjmaia said:

I need a modified Elm to be used on the focus?

Most Foci (& many other Fords) have two (or more) CAN buses:

The HS-CAN (high speed), that goes from the pcm to the IC (Instrument Cluster), via most of the underbonnet modules like ABS, Steering (EHPAS), etc.

The MS-CAN (medium speed), that goes from the IC to the BCM (Body Control Module, aka GEM), via the internal modules like Doors, radio, park aid.

The diagnostic connector has both CAN buses, and a scanner (OBD2 or other) connects to the HS-CAN bus to read the DTCs and other information, directly from the relevant modules. A "Modified ELM" can connect to the MS-CAN bus, also.

The switch simply transfers the ELM CAN bus wires between the two buses.

So you can diagnose most underbonnet stuff with a standard (no switch) ELM, but many of the functions ELMConfig can control are in the BCM (aka GEM), which needs the MS-CAN bus, hence needs the switch.

Forscan uses the same ELM327, and works on the engine with a standard ELM, but needs a modified one to read codes from the Airbag system or GEM, for example.

ELMConfig is only for the Focus Mk2, but Forscan covers most Fords, inc. Mazda. Forscan is aimed at diagnosis, maintainance & servicing, rather then Mods. But it can update software configs, I believe. It can also add keys to the immobiliser (PATS).

The modified ELMs on the tunnelrat site are about £16 (USB). I would be wary of much cheaper ones, quality is likely to be dubious. Non-modified ones are cheaper, as they are used on more makes of cars, so are made in bigger quantities. Also, for software mods (writing to BCM or PCM), speed and reliability become much more important.

40 minutes ago, yunii said:

Btw will these regen on fiesta 1.4 tdci mk7 2011?

Forscan should be able to initiate a forced regen on most Fords with a DPF. It can also read the DP sensor, km from regen, km to ashfull, and lots of other stuff that can help with DPF problems.

See: http://forscan.org/download.html

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 7:25 PM, jjmaia said:

What engine do you have?

MK2 Focus 1.6 Petrol 2009

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody have a solution for the "problem" with water temperature indicator not working the same after HEC update.

I have upgrade the HEC software from 303 to 511/512 using elmconfig and now: "it's more slowly to arrive to the optimal temperature, and compared to before the update, the optimal temperature it's a bit colder.....2-3mm before half scale of the instrument"

exactly as described by user: borga1987 on the previous page

my clusters are level 2 and car is a focus mk2.5 with the 1.6 ti-vct engine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I found this thread cause I had been searching for a way to activate puddle lights in my Ford C-Max 2015

I accidentally bought a mirror with that feature as a replacement and wonder if it is possible to keep it and activate it.

I already tried with focccus without success but in this thread some people claim that it worked for them. Does ELMconfig do anything different from focccus so that it makes sense to try again or is that quite hopeless? It is quite a hassle since I did not assemble the spare mirror yet and so I need to dismantle the door each time.

Would appreciate feedback on that.

Regards 

2 hours ago, daniu said:

Does ELMconfig do anything different from focccus

ELMConfig is for the Focus Mk2/2a, so that is up to about 2011. I am pretty sure the C-Max will be the same, with some minor variants. So I doubt if ELMConfig will work properly on a 2015 model. Focccus is for the Mk3 variants.

There are often problems with adding new hardware later, in some cases Ford will only fit wiring looms for the hardware actually fitted in the factory. These software packages can only enable or disable features where all the needed wires and software are in place. There are loom sections from the door modules to the mirrors where a few pennies could be saved by leaving out a wire or two. The software in the BCM can also vary.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

anyone have a recommended cable to use?? tried the link on the front page but it just opened the guide again!

5 hours ago, djnunny said:

anyone have a recommended cable to use??

These Tunnelrat ELM237s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

(They do USB, bluetooth & WiFi versions, but USB is still the safest option for software/configuration changes.)

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

These Tunnelrat ELM237s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

(They do USB, Bluetooth & WiFi versions, but USB is still the safest option for software/configuration changes.)

thanks for that just ordered one! :) 

• Like 1

ok so i now have everything i need to give this a go, only problem is the links on the front page are all not working for me! can anyone point me in direction for ELMconfig and anything else ill need for activating CC

7 hours ago, djnunny said:

can anyone point me in direction for ELMconfig

Direct from the author, civil-zz:

http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/ELMConfig.zip

There is a tutorial on this site:

And a lot more info around, though some of it is rather vague.

I think the most critical stage is updating the pcm. Read about it first, especially things like having a good battery, or keeping it on charge during the update.

thanks for that :)

i have been reading through that guide, haven't come across the battery part yet crikey how long does it really take my battery pretty decent so shouldn't be a problem

12 hours ago, djnunny said:

haven't come across the battery part yet crikey how long does it really take

I have seen reports of up to an hour!

But it is the consequences of unexpected failure during a pcm write that is worth some care. It seems that individual settings can not be updated within the pcm. The whole code has to be read, modified in the computer, then erased and written back. A write failure can, by some accounts, result in a pcm that will no longer work at all. So it can not then be written to using the diagnostic interface, as this requires the pcm to be at least partly functional before the write.

So it is worth a bit of effort just to eliminate as many possible causes of a write failure as you can. A reliable ELM, a reliable computer, a reliable environment (not going to be disturbed), and a reliable battery are a good start.

23 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have seen reports of up to an hour!

But it is the consequences of unexpected failure during a pcm write that is worth some care. It seems that individual settings can not be updated within the pcm. The whole code has to be read, modified in the computer, then erased and written back. A write failure can, by some accounts, result in a pcm that will no longer work at all. So it can not then be written to using the diagnostic interface, as this requires the pcm to be at least partly functional before the write.

So it is worth a bit of effort just to eliminate as many possible causes of a write failure as you can. A reliable ELM, a reliable computer, a reliable environment (not going to be disturbed), and a reliable battery are a good start.

thats crazy, i posted on the end of the cruise guide i have managed to do mine and gotten lucky as hell that it was already activated in my pcm all i had to do was tick the boxes in GEM and HEC 

1. paul112004

Pcm firmware

hello can anyone please help firmware http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/pcm_frw.htm could you possibly help me I am updating my pcm and any other I can but I can't quite get the pcm firmware I need I have a focus 1.6 tdci 110ps i think its dv6 engine 56 plate and my current module is edc16c34-2 and mtx75 transmission  my current firmware 7m51-12a650-ud  same module name   looking at It is it 7m51-12a650-ug or 9m51-12a650-db    the only reason I thought the 9m51 is because it says in notes for ford dv6 ted4 c307 eco mt 110ps st.4 +adpf fapu    as it says a few of what my car is am I right in thinking it's that one as it is in the same engine module type and transmission section    or is it only ones beginning with 7m51 I can have    sorry again hope you can help I have tried everywhere to look for an answer   Also if possible do you no of anywhere I can find updates for the rest of my ecu and components in car  like software updates versions ECT

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody. I wanted do update the cluster firmware, so i connected the elmconfig, HEC-firmware list- install latest firmware. 

After rebooting, the instrument cluster died. I tried do reinstall the firmware, but ELM can't find HEC module. Any button I press on HEC, it says error, DATA CAN BE FOUND.

Any sugestions please?

7 hours ago, Arlekino said:

After rebooting, the instrument cluster died. I tried do reinstall the firmware, but ELM can't find HEC module

It is likely that either the firmware you downloaded was the wrong type, or the ELM you have is not reliable. ELM237 devices are notoriously variable, it is just a name for a protocol used to communicate with the car, and the actual device and its firmware varies a lot. They have all been copied and modified from an original made by a Canadian company called ELM. The original ELM237 was a serial port device, USB ELMs are a step away from this, but are usually fairly reliable. Wireless ELMs are not to be trusted for software updates, unless extensively tested before any critical operations. And even then, there is a risk.

Try downloading Forscan (http://forscan.org/download.html), and see if that can read anything from the IC. Then try another ELM, this one has been reported to be quite good: http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

Downloading software to these electronic modules has dangers. If it will not communicate to re-load the original software (assuming you saved a back-up copy), then the cluster will have to go to a repair company that has the capability to replace or re-programme the chip directly, not via the CAN bus as ELMConfig does.

That is always the risk with these self-modifying software devices.

• 5 months later...

Hello

Is it possible program Focus ST 2.5 with cruise control?

I installed cruise control buttons and GEM-test they beep. But why doesnt working?

I do all this but this Step 3d 

PCM – Procedures – Page 2

Click “Load VID-block from file” my Elmconfig doesnt show that VID-block selections? why?

Now the programing begins!

Step 1 – Switch in MS-CAN position (left)

GEM – Configuration – Page 3

Click “Read from GEM”

If “Cruise Control Configuration” it ticked then move to the next step, if not then tick it

Click “Write to GEM”

Wait for program to write and reboot the GEM

Step 2 – Switch in HS-CAN position (right)

HEC – Configuration – Page 1

If “Cruise Control Configuration” it ticked then move to the next step, if not then tick it

Click “Write to HEC”

Wait for program to write and reboot the HEC

Step 3a – Switch in HS-CAN position (right)

PCM – Configuration

Click “Read from PCM”

Make sure “Integrated Speed Control” is ticked

Click “Save to file” – save it to a clutter free, easily accessible folder (I recommend desktop)

Step 3b – Switch in HS-CAN position (right)

DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS!

Click “Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file” – this takes anything

*this bit I struggle to remember but don’t worry it wont ruin your car!

Once you click read you might get an option to save the bin file (this might be before or after the reading). If after reading it does not prompt you to save anything then click “Save firmware to BIN-file”, chose the same location where you saved the PCM configuration file.

Now close ELMconfig 2.17 and open 2.10

Make sure the settings are the same as used in 2.17 (note the device won’t show its name instead it will just display its com port but this is auto detected) and click open port.

Step 3c - Switch in HS-CAN position (right)

PCM – Information

Click “Read” and wait for it to read all the fields.

Step 3d - Switch in HS-CAN position (right)

Click “Load VID-block from file”

Here you want to select the PCM configuration file you saved (the one where you ticked integrated speed control)

Click “Load firmware from file”

Now select the file you saved from reading the PCM to bin operation (the one that took a long time in comparison)

Click “Write current firmware in PCM”

This will reprogram the PCM, it will take anything from 1 – 10 minutes.

You may get an engine malfunction warning appear while reprogramming, do not worry this is normal and happened to me, it because the PCM module is not able to communicate while its being reprogrammed so it shows as an error. DO NOT UNPLUG or STOP to process or you will mess up your PCM.

Once its done it will reboot and inform you its complete, now simply close elmconfig and remove the cable, start your engine and take your foci out for a drive and try cruise – IT will work !!!

3 hours ago, Petrif74 said:

Click “Load VID-block from file” my Elmconfig doesnt show that VID-block selections? why?

If you changed the Elmconfig version as suggested in the procedure, is it opening in the same disk directory (folder) for both versions? If not, it will not find the VID file you saved earlier. You will need to locate the file using the file manager / mycomputer tool, and move or copy the file to the correct directory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.03.2012 at 6:02 PM, Preee said:

small video of this great software :)

Hello my friend. Could you tell me where to find the options to open the properties? or do you have a video

• 3 months later...

Need you help

When i run ELMconfig that show "Received response to request "AT WS"

How to solve it??

ELMconfig.PNG

10 hours ago, achitcha said:

ELMconfig that show "Received response to request "AT WS"

It sounds like a faulty ELM clone problem.

The command AT WS simply tells the ELM to do a partial reset, or warm start. It is a command from the computer to the ELM chip. So if it is not responding properly, it is probably nothing to do with the car or CAN bus, it is an internal fault in the ELM device.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

It sounds like a faulty ELM clone problem.

The command AT WS simply tells the ELM to do a partial reset, or warm start. It is a command from the computer to the ELM chip. So if it is not responding properly, it is probably nothing to do with the car or CAN bus, it is an internal fault in the ELM device.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That you mean hardware issued, right?

How to check it?

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, achitcha said:

How to check it?

I think the simplest way would be to try another ELM device. They are 99% clones, and vary in quality a lot. You could also try that ELM with different software (eg FORScan), or even, especially if wireless (bluetooth or WiFi), with another computer.

The AT commands are used between the computer and the ELM device to control the ELM. There are quite a lot of them. Once setup, the ELM can then link up with the CAN bus in the car, and it then converts data from the computer into CAN format packets, and vice versa. But as AT WS is a reset command, it has probably not got this far, and is failing on that command. If it is wireless, I would suspect a delay in the wireless link, again most likely the fault of the ELM, but the computer, or even too much interference from other signals sharing the same RF bands, could cause the delay. USB ELMs remain more reliable than wireless ones.

I am no expert on the ELM AT command set, I have used similar command sets on Modems in the past, and have looked at the ELM datasheet, but that is all.

• 1 month later...

Salut, j'ai du faire une fausse manipulation car j'ai tout vidé et plus rien ne fonctionne !!! Pouvez vous m'aider? J'ai besoin d'une capture d'images de toutes les données que je puisse tout réinscrire SVP!!!

• 9 months later...
Thank you for your help

bandicam 2019-02-18 21-01-01-287.jpg

Edited by Haluk
Fix my mistake

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club