Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

Hi guys,

There is a way to update the firmware of audio unit ? In Elmconfing I didn't found such  option.

Depends on the Audio unit. Mine is a travel pilot and I updated the firmware via the USB socket.

2 hours ago, stefanovidiu said:

Hi guys,

There is a way to update the firmware of audio unit ? In Elmconfing I didn't found such  option.

its software you download and run on usb to update the head unit

• 1 month later...

Hello guys!

I did not find too much information on this thread about ECU remapping using Elmconfig.

I read from Civil's and emerald293 posts that at least theoretically the uploading of remapped calibration files is possible but you need to have them already checksummed since ELmconfig does not do it itself. Have any of you been getting further on this topic?

I have already been able to succesfully upgrade my Ford Kuga 136hp '08 PCM firmware to the latest original firmware you can find on Civil's webpage after backing up my VID-block's information. Lately I downloaded my Kuga's "calibration file only" with Elmconfig and sent the .bin file to enginetuning.eu for Stage 1 remapping, who politely told me they are not familiar with Elmconfig and they will refuse to remap the file since they don't want to take risks, even after checking that the calibration file I sent seemed to be completely correct.

I would like to know, if any of you have been using Elmconfig for flashing remapped files and if you have, which remapping service (webpage) you have used for the file itself? I do not know or want to learn on how to tune the file with WinOLS or ECU Titanium since I am completely sure there are many people providing very good service around, so I will gladly pay for someone to do it. But the ECU reading/writing should be the easy part and I would like to be sure if it is NOT POSSIBLE AT ALL with Elmconfig before ordering cheap clones of Galletto or Kess v2 for just one remap.

Thank you in advance and big respect to Civil for his work from Finland!

PCM

...You will notice here that having ‘read’ the information on the previous page, the program has automatically entered the correct ‘PCM Type’ for you in the box at the top (The range of similar PCMs of which yours will be one). I’m assuming here there must obviously be a correlation between the PCM Type shown on the ‘Information’ page, and the PCM types supported by ELMConfig...

Hello guys! And thanks OldLen for the detailed guide.

First time poster here, sorry if I still didn't introduce myself in the proper subforum. I was looking for some info (you guess it) on how to enable the CC on my mk2.5 2008 Focus.

A doubt I had reading the write-up: why not starting from the PCM, if there's a chance that the current module may be not supported by elmconfig? This is to avoid activating the CC in the other modules and then find out you can't into the PCM... Just a thought.

Thanks.

Hi, I saw that enabling CC was possible (focus 57 plate zetec 1.6 petrol) so bought the bits and a cable then started trying to follow the various how to's around the world.  I was a motor vehicle tech before cars went electronic, so never really got in to can bus and coding missing toys.  But the guides made out its simple as, so decided to go for it.

A couple of things i find incredible, some basic parts of the how to guides I've seen miss out essential or sensible steps like:

1) always put a power supply on ANY vehicle you plan to programme/code.  If voltage drops you could brick a unit or at best get odd results (battery charger is better than nothing)

2) Civil's site doesn't show the file or folders when using Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge (use Firefox or if you must chrome)

3) Who make the best ELM devices? ( I got one from James Simpson with a decent chip, but his guides don't cover CC nor offer advice on above, the runtime files you DO need to install first are NOT the latest on civi's site, he talks about using a slower speed, yet 500,000 baud works with latest ELM device he supplies).  The good bit is the cable works well.  However cross talk from cables is something to think about.  My Autel diagnostics tool runs a cable to the ODBC with at least 3 times the thickness and I guess shed loads more shielding.  Errors, low speeds and the need to play with block size may be more about noise from cheap cables when reading / programming, than wrong processes.

4) ELM cable Driver was picked up by win 10, although stupidly I couldn't see as notification was absent, doing in background which is stupid.  There's actually a newer driver on FTDI site (I got Mar 2016 from windows and is buried in USB list so you may not notice and then only displays when ELM plugged in to the PC)

5) The later software v0.2.17b has differences in what's there and what things are called, so some pictures you see in guides for PCM programming are not like that anymore.  Does anyone know where the release notes for this great software are so we know why it was updated?

6) The VID block is just the part of firmware where the configuration settings reside.  So when you check the Integrated Cruise Control box in the PCM and save thats great, the next step it to 'now embed' the modified configuration setting in the firmware of the PCM

7) The order you code the three modules is irrelevant, for the GEM and HEC you only select code that's already in the module, by ticking boxes (checking) very simple and not much to go wrong. 

The PCM is somewhat different, and a bit odd (as everyone says) and induced much worry !!! I was reading so many guides but they all cross over or do steps differently (wrongly), even Oldlen's recent one (page 100) was not what I was seeing using the same software.  And an option he used was grey out, so I followed a more basic one, then I went wrong and messed up.  But some words I'd read on a post by civil made me suspect the world hadn't ended

I wrote the firmware back with no VID block (by mistake) having aborted doing it the correct way because of the confusing steps, fortunately the car was OK without it, ( I took for a drive but no CC obviously).  Then I got muddled with folders and opened the wrong tool 0.2.10 I closed that, but then every time I tried to open 0.2.17b I was seeing a different screen with no ford modules on the left.  Started panicking that was caused by the no VID block and although the cars a driver, had I messed the car up and couldn't even try to re programme.  What happened was so simple.... opening the wrong version stopped the first step where you set up the ELM tool and select Focus and Kuga.  It was no longer being automatically loaded.

I left all block size speeds etc. at defaults, it took 17 mins to read and save a copy of the PCM , 4 mins to write back firmware (minus the VID block) then I went back and wrote modified config file (VID Block) back to the "empty" space taking seconds.  Re checked Integrated Cruise Control is still ticked and it all works.  FYI the green speed set icon is actually in the rev counter not the speedo I've seen in every other photo,

...when I see how to instructions on the right way to install the tool to your PC, release notes and a paypal address civil can get much deserved donation.

Powertrain Control Module.jpg

The parts I struggled with, as the boxes all differ in size shape and what they do is not what I'd say is exactly as written, so a list below for debate / amendment by those who remember

1) If I remember correctly - this is really save a copy of the PCM files to your PC

2) Is write saved files back to the car ?

3) Open files saved on your PC to the tool ready to write back to the car

4) I can't remember

It would be really cute if later versions on the tool could put the boxes one above the other so the order they display is the order you are most likely to need to use them

last point, the comment box on the left shows the greyed out box I couldn't use,

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any differences between the usb interfaces (ftdi or silicon labs)?

1 hour ago, Franzl said:

Are there any differences between the usb interfaces (ftdi or silicon labs)?

I am pretty sure you will find good & bad implementations using both makes of USB to Serial interface chips.

There are two main chips in an "ELM327", the other being the CAN to Serial convertor chip, which is all that an EM327 originally was. However now, ELM327 is effectively a protocol, or interface standard, allowing software to communicate with the car's buses & diagnostic systems. The ELM firmware has been cloned, copied, updated and re-written many times.

It is usually the quality of the particular ELM firmware that is critical. And because it is copied many times with no control, the version numbers like 1.5 are almost meaningless. It just seems to be pot luck. One supplier that I know people have used with success is Tunnelrat Electronics. But if you are remote from UK, that may not be very easy to get.

For more info, if interested, see:

• 1 month later...

I tried to activate cc on my Ford Focus 1.8 tdci and just before I want to write to pcm I get this message. (look atthe picture)

Any suggestions? Or is this just the elm 2.17 thing?

Brez naslova.jpg

dont do it if you do you will not be able to start the car as the pats key will need reprograming 

and that a ford job cost a arm and leg

2 hours ago, dezwez said:

dont do it if you do you will not be able to start the car as the pats key will need reprograming 

and that a ford job cost a arm and leg

Uff! It's a good thing that I left it at that. I read somewhere that 1.8 tdci cars have this issue with starting afterwards.

I tried to start my car yesterday and it started right up. I tried just to be sure!

What should I do now? Go to the ford dealer and request a cruise control activation? Or will they have the same issue as I have?

leave it someone on here might have a work around it. Some member have the same sort of programers as ford i forget what they call it

but some one near you may have it and help you .There are not so many on line on sat day time so best to wait 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, primzy said:

What should I do now?

3 Options:

1) Leave it as it is,

2) Go to a Ford dealer, though they might not want to do it.

3) Use Elmconfig, and use Forscan to recode the PATS system (if needed).

I expect you know of Forscan, it uses the same adapter (ELM327) as Elmconfig.

But the PATS initialisation is quite complex, and there are pitfalls. I have not tried it, so I am only going on what I have read. But Forscan itself seems a very robust and reliable system generally, I can say that much.

If you want to go down the Forscan route, you will need two working keys. In fact I recommend that you purchase a 3rd, and try to use the Forscan PATS programming system to add it. This does not erase the existing keys, so is safer. Blank keys are not expensive, though it would need cutting, unless you can remove and swap over the PATS transponder chips.

There are also some tests to do, to verify your current keys are both properly recognised, before writing to the pcm.

I would say have a good look around on the Forscan site for stuff to do with PATS. Ensure you understand it, & do as many checks as possible prior to starting the full process. Other people have done it without problems, but I can give no guarantee, nor make any recommendation that you try this. There is always some risk!

As a starter, look here:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Got a Ford Focus TDCi 09 plate last week, fitted reversing sensors thanks to this forum and now looking at updating my level 3 cluster to support eco mode.  I have read from page 1 and think I know what I should be doing but still a bit confused.

So I bought myself a cheap ELM327 500K unit off of eBay and enabled the "echo shift up" and "eco mode" within HEC Page1, Looks to have worked as I now get the green arrow when starting the car but I don't get any shift up or eco mode within the menu.

Reading through the pages it looks like I need to update the firmware as my car is 09 and the current firmware is not supported but eco mode should once it is updated.  This is where I get a bit confused in the firmware updating process.

I think I should goto HEC menu, procedures, page 2 and update the firmware.  But because my ELM wont connect at anything above 38400 I cant do this, I have ordered a new ELM from James Simpson.  On ELMConfig 0.2.17b I get a list of the different firmwares, can I just pick the bottom firmware?

Am I doing this correct?

Also should I look at updating PCM firmware?  Where would I get this from?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am looking at getting one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201713069890?euid=3e236014b9db450eadd917aad7f62361&bu=43259559458&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Will this enable me to turn on features. Also how do I find out what I can turn on? The original link on the first page no longer works. Is there another link?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Hellboy80 said:

Will this enable me to turn on features. Also how do I find out what I can turn on?

It says it does on the advert, so if it does not, you can send it back!

Another source for the ELM that has been used by some people is:

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

Quite a lot has changed since Preee started this topic in 2012. It was originally for the FF2 program in Russian. The usual best program to use now is ELMConfig for mods (& Forscan for servicing & diagnostics.)

For the latest ELMConfig, go to the developer's site:

http://civil.iffc.ru/ELMConfig/

When it loads, and connects to the car, it should give you lists of what can be changed on your car.

Hi,

Got my cable today and plugged it in. Connected fine to elmconfig and turned on low washer sensor. Straight away it said my fluid was low. I know its not so I assumed I had no sensor so went back to turn it off but I can't connect anymore. No matter which version I try it just doesn't want to know.

Getting loads of errors.

Do I have a faulty cable?

Its annoying as every time I start the car now it states I have low fluid and a orange light is on. Does anyone near The Midlands have a cable they can use to switch it off for me?

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

hi to everybody, I have to ask a particular happened just yesterday....

i updated the original ROM 230 of the car (FORD FOCUS 2010) to the latest 512 BY QUICKIE, but i have an issue with the date of the clock

I can set it only maximum to the year 2015 from the 2003 to the 2015

It has already been found by someone?

set you time to 23.59 and 31/12 /2015 then let it go over the min  and it should go to 1/1/2016

NEWS:

date and time now are ok (i don't know why)

but i noticed a different work for the indicator of the temperature of the water

it's more slowly to arrive to the optimal temperature, and compared to before the update, the optimal temperature it's a bit colder.....2-3mm before half scale of the instrument

excuse for my english

but i don't want to break the engine :wacko:

bye to all

• 2 weeks later...

I remapped my focus petrol today with elmconfig using winOLS. Activated a few hidden things as well as the remap. 

Boom :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the question, but topic is rather big.
Is this any useful for a MK2 (56 plate)?

Also, I saw some cables being sold on eBay for £16, but are the the same as a normal ELM with the mod on the OP?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, jjmaia said:

I saw some cables being sold on Ebay for £16, but are the the same as a normal ELM with the mod on the OP?

There are loads of ELM237 clone devices around. The quality varies a lot. The text should say if it has been "modified" for use with ELMConfig & FORScan. One supplier who does warrant their ELMs are suitable is:

They now stock USB & wireless (Blue-tooth & WiFi) units. The USB version is generally more reliable.

ELMConfig is fine for the Mk2 Focus, it just will not have quite as many options as with the Mk2a. It can only enable options already built in to the software and wiring. FORScan is the best diy diagnostics system available for Fords.

Warning: If you enable options that need added hardware which is not present in your car, some people have found it gives errors, and is hard to disable again. Stick to using functions you know your car has.

• Like 1

There are loads of ELM237 clone devices around. The quality varies a lot. The text should say if it has been "modified" for use with ELMConfig & FORScan. One supplier who does warrant their ELMs are suitable is:
They now stock USB & wireless (Blue-tooth & WiFi) units. The USB version is generally more reliable.
ELMConfig is fine for the Mk2 Focus, it just will not have quite as many options as with the Mk2a. It can only enable options already built in to the software and wiring. FORScan is the best diy diagnostics system available for Fords.
Warning: If you enable options that need added hardware which is not present in your car, some people have found it gives errors, and is hard to disable again. Stick to using functions you know your car has.

How much are these going for now?
I used to have one but a mate bought it after i updated few bits on mine. I bought another but didnt come out well.
Btw will these regen on fiesta 1.4 tdci mk7 2011?
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I remapped my focus petrol today with elmconfig using winOLS. Activated a few hidden things as well as the remap. 

Boom laugh.png

What engine do you have?

I'm aware about the clones, been using the Elm 327 for some years, but what I would like to understand is from what I see I need a modified Elm to be used on the focus? If yes, buying a normal Elm and doing the mod on the op will give me the same functions as the one you posted (I'm aware quality might not be the same).

In terms of functions I want to check what I can do, but will not activate something I don't have the hardware for.

From what you said, elmconfig is one thing, and fordscan another? And I can use the same cable with both?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk