Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

FORD FAIR – SILVERSTONE – 6TH AUGUST 2017

Join us on the Ford Owners Club stand at Ford Fair, Silverstone on Sunday 6th August 2017.

Click this link to find out more

• Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

Preee

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

2,539 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, jjmaia said:

I need a modified Elm to be used on the focus?

Most Foci (& many other Fords) have two (or more) CAN buses:

The HS-CAN (high speed), that goes from the pcm to the IC (Instrument Cluster), via most of the underbonnet modules like ABS, Steering (EHPAS), etc.

The MS-CAN (medium speed), that goes from the IC to the BCM (Body Control Module, aka GEM), via the internal modules like Doors, radio, park aid.

The diagnostic connector has both CAN buses, and a scanner (OBD2 or other) connects to the HS-CAN bus to read the DTCs and other information, directly from the relevant modules. A "Modified ELM" can connect to the MS-CAN bus, also.

The switch simply transfers the ELM CAN bus wires between the two buses.

So you can diagnose most underbonnet stuff with a standard (no switch) ELM, but many of the functions ELMConfig can control are in the BCM (aka GEM), which needs the MS-CAN bus, hence needs the switch.

Forscan uses the same ELM327, and works on the engine with a standard ELM, but needs a modified one to read codes from the Airbag system or GEM, for example.

ELMConfig is only for the Focus Mk2, but Forscan covers most Fords, inc. Mazda. Forscan is aimed at diagnosis, maintainance & servicing, rather then Mods. But it can update software configs, I believe. It can also add keys to the immobiliser (PATS).

The modified ELMs on the tunnelrat site are about £16 (USB). I would be wary of much cheaper ones, quality is likely to be dubious. Non-modified ones are cheaper, as they are used on more makes of cars, so are made in bigger quantities. Also, for software mods (writing to BCM or PCM), speed and reliability become much more important.

40 minutes ago, yunii said:

Btw will these regen on fiesta 1.4 tdci mk7 2011?

Forscan should be able to initiate a forced regen on most Fords with a DPF. It can also read the DP sensor, km from regen, km to ashfull, and lots of other stuff that can help with DPF problems.

See: http://forscan.org/download.html

jjmaia likes this

On 3/20/2017 at 7:25 PM, jjmaia said:

What engine do you have?

MK2 Focus 1.6 Petrol 2009

does anybody have a solution for the "problem" with water temperature indicator not working the same after HEC update.

I have upgrade the HEC software from 303 to 511/512 using elmconfig and now: "it's more slowly to arrive to the optimal temperature, and compared to before the update, the optimal temperature it's a bit colder.....2-3mm before half scale of the instrument"

exactly as described by user: borga1987 on the previous page

my clusters are level 2 and car is a focus mk2.5 with the 1.6 ti-vct engine

Hi

I found this thread cause I had been searching for a way to activate puddle lights in my Ford C-Max 2015

I accidentally bought a mirror with that feature as a replacement and wonder if it is possible to keep it and activate it.

I already tried with focccus without success but in this thread some people claim that it worked for them. Does ELMconfig do anything different from focccus so that it makes sense to try again or is that quite hopeless? It is quite a hassle since I did not assemble the spare mirror yet and so I need to dismantle the door each time.

Would appreciate feedback on that.

Regards 

2 hours ago, daniu said:

Does ELMconfig do anything different from focccus

ELMConfig is for the Focus Mk2/2a, so that is up to about 2011. I am pretty sure the C-Max will be the same, with some minor variants. So I doubt if ELMConfig will work properly on a 2015 model. Focccus is for the Mk3 variants.

There are often problems with adding new hardware later, in some cases Ford will only fit wiring looms for the hardware actually fitted in the factory. These software packages can only enable or disable features where all the needed wires and software are in place. There are loom sections from the door modules to the mirrors where a few pennies could be saved by leaving out a wire or two. The software in the BCM can also vary.

daniu likes this

anyone have a recommended cable to use?? tried the link on the front page but it just opened the guide again!

5 hours ago, djnunny said:

anyone have a recommended cable to use??

These Tunnelrat ELM237s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

(They do USB, bluetooth & WiFi versions, but USB is still the safest option for software/configuration changes.)

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

These Tunnelrat ELM237s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

(They do USB, bluetooth & WiFi versions, but USB is still the safest option for software/configuration changes.)

thanks for that just ordered one! :) 

Tdci-Peter likes this

ok so i now have everything i need to give this a go, only problem is the links on the front page are all not working for me! can anyone point me in direction for ELMconfig and anything else ill need for activating CC

7 hours ago, djnunny said:

can anyone point me in direction for ELMconfig

Direct from the author, civil-zz:

http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/ELMConfig.zip

There is a tutorial on this site:

And a lot more info around, though some of it is rather vague.

I think the most critical stage is updating the pcm. Read about it first, especially things like having a good battery, or keeping it on charge during the update.

thanks for that :)

i have been reading through that guide, haven't come across the battery part yet crikey how long does it really take my battery pretty decent so shouldn't be a problem

12 hours ago, djnunny said:

haven't come across the battery part yet crikey how long does it really take

I have seen reports of up to an hour!

But it is the consequences of unexpected failure during a pcm write that is worth some care. It seems that individual settings can not be updated within the pcm. The whole code has to be read, modified in the computer, then erased and written back. A write failure can, by some accounts, result in a pcm that will no longer work at all. So it can not then be written to using the diagnostic interface, as this requires the pcm to be at least partly functional before the write.

So it is worth a bit of effort just to eliminate as many possible causes of a write failure as you can. A reliable ELM, a reliable computer, a reliable environment (not going to be disturbed), and a reliable battery are a good start.

23 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have seen reports of up to an hour!

But it is the consequences of unexpected failure during a pcm write that is worth some care. It seems that individual settings can not be updated within the pcm. The whole code has to be read, modified in the computer, then erased and written back. A write failure can, by some accounts, result in a pcm that will no longer work at all. So it can not then be written to using the diagnostic interface, as this requires the pcm to be at least partly functional before the write.

So it is worth a bit of effort just to eliminate as many possible causes of a write failure as you can. A reliable ELM, a reliable computer, a reliable environment (not going to be disturbed), and a reliable battery are a good start.

thats crazy, i posted on the end of the cruise guide i have managed to do mine and gotten lucky as hell that it was already activated in my pcm all i had to do was tick the boxes in GEM and HEC 

1. paul112004

Pcm firmware

hello can anyone please help firmware http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/pcm_frw.htm could you possibly help me I am updating my pcm and any other I can but I can't quite get the pcm firmware I need I have a focus 1.6 tdci 110ps i think its dv6 engine 56 plate and my current module is edc16c34-2 and mtx75 transmission  my current firmware 7m51-12a650-ud  same module name   looking at It is it 7m51-12a650-ug or 9m51-12a650-db    the only reason I thought the 9m51 is because it says in notes for ford dv6 ted4 c307 eco mt 110ps st.4 +adpf fapu    as it says a few of what my car is am I right in thinking it's that one as it is in the same engine module type and transmission section    or is it only ones beginning with 7m51 I can have    sorry again hope you can help I have tried everywhere to look for an answer   Also if possible do you no of anywhere I can find updates for the rest of my ecu and components in car  like software updates versions ECT