#1 dp1987

dp1987

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.8 zetec

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have a ford focus chic 2002. It Has the locking wheel nuts on that the alloys come with on the chic model as standard. I Did have the key untill a bloomin repair centre garage lost it on me. Its too far to drive back to and ask them to get them off so what do i do??
I have heard there is a master key from halfords that i can buy but the cheapest things i can come across on there rubbish website are £11.99 for a laser alloy nut socket. I need to get them off cos if i get a flat tyre im stuck and i am not paying £12 incase it doesnt fit my locking nuts after all.
I have read on various forums about key's u can buy for around £4-5 but cant find any that i know would fit my focus locking nuts.

I just want to get them off and put normal nuts back on as the alloys are scuffed anyway so have not got to worry about theives.
any help on how to get them off or what to buy that will definitely fit mine would be great. thanx

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

The Ford wheel key is very expensive for what it is. It would be worth going back to the garage an getting your key back, or if they have lost it get them to pay for a replacement.

#3 dp1987

dp1987

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

The Ford wheel key is very expensive for what it is. It would be worth going back to the garage an getting your key back, or if they have lost it get them to pay for a replacement.

I have noticed there is one for sale on ebay here
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item41633a69b9

But i cannot find the code he is on about in my handbook. Would any ford focus locking nut tool work? as my dads mondeo one doesnt work on mine

#4 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have noticed there is one for sale on ebay here
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item41633a69b9

But i cannot find the code he is on about in my handbook. Would any ford focus locking nut tool work? as my dads mondeo one doesnt work on mine

No you need the correct key, the key number is found on a piece of card with a Ford logo on it, there are many wheel keys, you need the correct one. My advice still is to go back to the garage that lost your key and ask for a replacement. it will be easier in the long run, trust me!

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,291 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

When supplied, the locking nuts come with a small card which has the nut code to match your set.
The principle is that if you lose the adaptor, you would only have to provide Ford with the code to obtain an exact replacement.
I am not aware of any universal adaptor, tbh that would defeat the idea of having locking nuts as anyone would be able to buy one and remove any wheel.
Obviously the problem you have now is the car is undrivable so you can't just rock up at your nearest dealer for them to check which replacement adaptor you'd need.
You could possibly get a recovery service to tow you there but I'm sure ford would have to order an adaptor which could take a few days.
A garage would be able to remove the nuts but would almost likely ruin your rims beyond use.
You really do need to kick off to the idiots who lost your adaptor and demand they accept liability for sorting your wheels out.
Don't take no for an answer - they are responsible.

#6 dp1987

dp1987

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

No you need the correct key, the key number is found on a piece of card with a Ford logo on it, there are many wheel keys, you need the correct one. My advice still is to go back to the garage that lost your key and ask for a replacement. it will be easier in the long run, trust me!

Thanx for the advice but its almost my own fault because it was at an accident repair centre garage that replaced my rear bumper etc and they asked me have i got everything out and i said yes. and i left it in the boot with my jack which they did put back so they have probably removed my stuff to fix it and misplaced it as its only small.
I had another focus a while back and didnt have the key for the locking nuts and a local garage still got them off with difficulty to do my breaks so im sure they can be smashed off and replaced with normal nuts cant they??

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,291 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

They may be able to remove them but expect damage to the rims which make them unusable.
I know Halfords do the removal tool but I've heard mixed results.
There are companies that advertise mobile nut removal on eBay but charge upto 15 per wheel.
One thing is they do guarantee removal.

#8 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi, there is no need for any damage as Ford always have a master key. I'm sure other companies have them as well as it is a common issue...
Chris

#9 pragmatix

pragmatix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name: Pete
  • Ford Model: Mondea 2Ltr Tdci Ghia X Estate
  • Year: 2002

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

A lot of tyre fitting places have the tools to remove your wheels still need to get onto the company that lost your key

#10 dp1987

dp1987

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

If anyone has a focus chic or zetec with the standard 15 inch alloys could u please tell me what code or colour triangle is on the bag with the locking nut in please. Or a spare for sale.
here is a picture of the locking nut on my alloy has 6 heads on it

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0329.JPG

#11 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

You cannot just use any Focus wheel nut key, it has to be the key for your car Vin number.

#12 Bigdaddycain

Bigdaddycain

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Name: Ste
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI 6SPD titanium estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Are you absolutely certain the garage haven't put the key back in the car but in a different location? I'd rip out all the spare, and jack and brace gear and have a nother look before attempting to force off the lockers... Is there any little cubby doors in the boot area that the key could have been placed into? It may even be in the glovebox :huh:

I've seen garages in the past hammer an old worn socket onto a locker and remove it that way... Fair enough if you have 4 old knackered sockets that fit i suppose... Don't forget to pop a smear of copper grease on the threads when you replace the studs ;)

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

the keys are unique to each set of locking nuts so though they look the same my key would not fit. ford should have as said a master key or youre key number. any tyre place will get them off.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users