Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Can I Get My Locking Wheel Nuts Off? Lost The Key

dp1987

I have a ford focus chic 2002. It Has the locking wheel nuts on that the alloys come with on the chic model as standard. I Did have the key untill a bloomin repair centre garage lost it on me. Its too far to drive back to and ask them to get them off so what do i do??

I have heard there is a master key from Halfords that i can buy but the cheapest things i can come across on there rubbish website are £11.99 for a laser alloy nut socket. I need to get them off cos if i get a flat tyre im stuck and i am not paying £12 incase it doesnt fit my locking nuts after all.

I have read on various forums about key's u can buy for around £4-5 but cant find any that i know would fit my focus locking nuts.

I just want to get them off and put normal nuts back on as the alloys are scuffed anyway so have not got to worry about theives.

any help on how to get them off or what to buy that will definitely fit mine would be great. thanx

The Ford wheel key is very expensive for what it is. It would be worth going back to the garage an getting your key back, or if they have lost it get them to pay for a replacement.

The Ford wheel key is very expensive for what it is. It would be worth going back to the garage an getting your key back, or if they have lost it get them to pay for a replacement.

I have noticed there is one for sale on eBay here

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item41633a69b9

But i cannot find the code he is on about in my handbook. Would any ford focus locking nut tool work? as my dads mondeo one doesnt work on mine

I have noticed there is one for sale on ebay here

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item41633a69b9

But i cannot find the code he is on about in my handbook. Would any ford focus locking nut tool work? as my dads mondeo one doesnt work on mine

No you need the correct key, the key number is found on a piece of card with a Ford logo on it, there are many wheel keys, you need the correct one. My advice still is to go back to the garage that lost your key and ask for a replacement. it will be easier in the long run, trust me!

When supplied, the locking nuts come with a small card which has the nut code to match your set.

The principle is that if you lose the adaptor, you would only have to provide Ford with the code to obtain an exact replacement.

I am not aware of any universal adaptor, tbh that would defeat the idea of having locking nuts as anyone would be able to buy one and remove any wheel.

Obviously the problem you have now is the car is undrivable so you can't just rock up at your nearest dealer for them to check which replacement adaptor you'd need.

You could possibly get a recovery service to tow you there but I'm sure ford would have to order an adaptor which could take a few days.

A garage would be able to remove the nuts but would almost likely ruin your rims beyond use.

You really do need to kick off to the idiots who lost your adaptor and demand they accept liability for sorting your wheels out.

Don't take no for an answer - they are responsible.

• Like 1

No you need the correct key, the key number is found on a piece of card with a Ford logo on it, there are many wheel keys, you need the correct one. My advice still is to go back to the garage that lost your key and ask for a replacement. it will be easier in the long run, trust me!

Thanx for the advice but its almost my own fault because it was at an accident repair centre garage that replaced my rear bumper etc and they asked me have i got everything out and i said yes. and i left it in the boot with my jack which they did put back so they have probably removed my stuff to fix it and misplaced it as its only small.

I had another focus a while back and didnt have the key for the locking nuts and a local garage still got them off with difficulty to do my breaks so im sure they can be smashed off and replaced with normal nuts cant they??

They may be able to remove them but expect damage to the rims which make them unusable.

I know Halfords do the removal tool but I've heard mixed results.

There are companies that advertise mobile nut removal on eBay but charge upto £15 per wheel.

One thing is they do guarantee removal.

Hi, there is no need for any damage as Ford always have a master key. I'm sure other companies have them as well as it is a common issue...

Chris

A lot of tyre fitting places have the tools to remove your wheels still need to get onto the company that lost your key

If anyone has a focus chic or zetec with the standard 15 inch alloys could u please tell me what code or colour triangle is on the bag with the locking nut in please. Or a spare for sale.

here is a picture of the locking nut on my alloy has 6 heads on it

post-14698-0-63858100-1331485491_thumb.j

You cannot just use any Focus wheel nut key, it has to be the key for your car Vin number.

Are you absolutely certain the garage haven't put the key back in the car but in a different location? I'd rip out all the spare, and jack and brace gear and have a nother look before attempting to force off the lockers... Is there any little cubby doors in the boot area that the key could have been placed into? It may even be in the glovebox :huh:

I've seen garages in the past hammer an old worn socket onto a locker and remove it that way... Fair enough if you have 4 old knackered sockets that fit i suppose... Don't forget to pop a smear of copper grease on the threads when you replace the studs ;)

the keys are unique to each set of locking nuts so though they look the same my key would not fit. ford should have as said a master key or youre key number. any tyre place will get them off.

• 5 years later...
If anyone has a focus chic or zetec with the standard 15 inch alloys could u please tell me what code or colour triangle is on the bag with the locking nut in please. Or a spare for sale.
here is a picture of the locking nut on my alloy has 6 heads on it
post-14698-0-63858100-1331485491_thumb.jpg
They are all different from car to car the like little puddle splats. I lost mine and went to look at my neighbours to see if I could use his and they're unique. Makes sense why buy new rubber just drive to next town and swop em ;/..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Trying to send photo of two different locking nut heads but its not happening

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

i have got these off before by hammering a tight fitting socket from my socket set on to the nut (as mentioned above). helps if you have a mixture of metric and imperial sockets as more likely you will find a good fit.  you need a decent quality socket like chrome vanadium with the inside in good condition so it will dig in more.  Poor quality sockets will split open.

If you have the type of nut that has a spinning ring around it you will not be able to do this.

(the AA / RAC man did the same thing for a friend when he had a puncture and then found that the garage had chewed up his security nut adaptor and had just put it back in the car without telling him)

had this trouble with a peugeot, locking nuts, got my mate to weld a strong bar on the nuts,only then did they come off but there was tight has owt,

8 hours ago, ken2468 said:

had this trouble with a peugeot, locking nuts, got my mate to weld a strong bar on the nuts,only then did they come off but there was tight has owt,

I was going to say weld a big nut over it. :wink:

it's the sort of thing I might do if desperate enough but if they are in a deep recess it is not easy

Quite simple really go to any tyre  fitters or reasonable garage ( the smaller concerns are often better) I guarantee they will remove them for you in seconds as mine where   .You may have to pay a small price. You will be amazed at how easy they are to actually get off well mine was anyway.

• Like 1

Below is a copy of a post I did in 2015 on this subject.

I was in the same situation as you. No urgent need but wanted a solution quickly.

The small search bar at the top right of the screen is your friend.

I needed a replacement McGard key a while back. I had no key
details at all. There were 3 places I tried.

The local Ford dealer. They had a set of master keys. If one matched they could order one
for me and from memory it was not a rip
off price. Not so easy if none matched since the dealer set did not cover every
key differ.

McGard themselves in Germany. Here.
They needed a good photo of your wheel nut, driving licence, vehicle registration
document, and about £25.

Alloy wheel shop in Liverpool. Here. This is where I had mine from. Chris is a McGard

agent though I cannot see this from his site.

All transactions were by email and phone. I sent him a photo of the nut

and details of the car. The new key came through the post directly quite
quickly from McGard. Although he is a few quid more than going to the supplier I
felt happier dealing with someone closer to home and he also supplied me with 4
regular wheel nuts to replace the keyed nuts once I got then off. The photo has
to be in focus and fill the frame.

Let us know how you
got on.

ScaniaPBman.

I've used dynomec locking nut removal tools, tyre fitters and aa/rac use them . Works every time. Not for the diyer.

• Like 3

Dynomec is the way forward :wub::laugh:

As already said by Ian, not a diy tool unless you want to spend £200 on it lol. It's a tool that costs you money everytime you use it though which I don't like :lol: 

The replacement bits that mould on to locking nut are £5 a go but normally you can use it on all 4 wheels just about.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

The replacement bits that mould on to locking nut are £5 a go but normally you can use it on all 4 wheels just about.

Where are you getting them at a fiver a go? Or is that a discounted price? Best price I was getting on them was a tenner:wacko: