Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping Instrument Cluster 2006 Focus

irl-06lx

came across this thread about removing the instrument cluster.

It looks pretty simple and I've no issue doing it.

my 2006 focus has no trip computer, just a mile counter (see thumbnail)

What i'd love to do is get an instrument cluster that has some form of trip computer from a focus thats being broken up and stick it in.

I've seen two types, one from a newer model with orange large square display. another from a 2005 zetec with an elongated green display. i reckon the second one would be much easier to get working.

few questions for anyone in the know

WIll the plug be able to fit into a different cluster with a trip computer?

I will need the stalk to control it. any idea on if the wires are there for the more advanced stalk?

will this be an issue with the main odometer memory?

post-28604-0-98165900-1331632265_thumb.p

yer you will need another stalk to control it - its combined with the indicator stalk. Not sure about any of the fitting, linking up etc etc - sure someone else can answer that - but i do believe you would have to take it to fords to get the mileage all sorted out etc.

Surprised your 2006 don't have it 2bh!!

According to other thread I have read it is possible to swap instrument cluster and get board computer working. Not many details were given, as all works were done by Ford dealer. First they checked if required wiring is there, installed outside temperature sensor, stalk and IC (used one, delivered by owner), then programmed IC. Programming is required as key immo codes are stored in IC, without it car will not run after swap. Other thing is to correct mileage, enable required options. And the result was fully working board computer.

ok thats what i thought although disappointing. any idea on price? I reckon ford would charge a fortune for that

I really wouldn't bother mate - all you get is temp, Average MPG (no instant/at this very moment in time - MPG figure) Average speed and some other useless stuff. Only thing ever looked at mine is the MPG figure and distance to empty - sure you got a good idea how many miles you do on a full tank and can quickly do a rough MPG on fill up.

IMHO of course.

ye barry i suppose your right... nothing amazingly interesting or vital for all the money/hassle

from experience on this...after messing around with my speedo unit too much i messed it up to much and well safe to say had to buy a new one from dealer.

they are special order only and will cost £700, inc fitting.

they have to be programmed in, as they are linked to the immo and because of this you need your keys reprogramming!

i even tried to buy a second hand unit from eBay and took it to dealers, their reply was, you need a new one because of the codes and odo data. that and it wouldnt work because it was from the petrol model (8k revs)

also ive had my unit a few times and is a proper pain to get out.

they have to be programmed in, as they are linked to the immo and because of this you need your keys reprogramming!

i even tried to buy a second hand unit from ebay and took it to dealers, their reply was, you need a new one because of the codes and odo data. that and it wouldnt work because it was from the petrol model (8k revs)

As far as I know keys are not reprogrammed, they are programmed into IC.

Of course you need to get proper IC - petrol for petrol, diesel for diesel, but it does not have to be new. I'm 100% sure about it, info received from Ford mechanic, confirmed on other forums.

The point is UK Ford dealers / mechanics say a lot of !Removed!. It's disappointing how little they know about their cars. Or maybe it is just a way to get more money from our pockets? If they were more flexible and helpful to Ford users they would earn more and learn new things :D

it doesnt have to be new but the mileage is an issue i can tell you this much i have the 06 with trip etc to get the 2.5 cluster to work i have to source 1 they arent cheap get the mileage altered which is 100quid then get the data programed at ford 175 quid then get the pcm updated i didnt ask anymore as its just too expensive and i have the stalk and sensors.all you get as said is time temp outside mileage mpg average speed is that worth a few hundred quid?

think your right folks, as said

Time = I have on the radio

Temp = Not vital at all

Mileage = I have

Average MPG = I have through an app on my phone from each fill, not ideal but does the job

Average speed = sure what would I be doing with that info and if i really wanted I could work it out based on distance and time

think your right folks, i not worth it at all

think your right folks, as said

Time = I have on the radio

Temp = Not vital at all

Mileage = I have

Average MPG = I have through an app on my phone from each fill, not ideal but does the job

Average speed = sure what would I be doing with that info and if i really wanted I could work it out based on distance and time

think your right folks, i not worth it at all

If you buy a Scan Gauge, it plugs in to your exiting diagnostic port and fits to the dash giving you all of the temps rev and mpg info you could possibly want mate,

you can also hide the cable inside the dash and lift the diagnostic socet out of place so as the plug sits inside the dash too.

and if your feeling really bored you could fit the ST pod and mount the Scan gauge in to it. and the backlight illumination of the scan gauge can be set to match the illumination of your interior so as it fits right in with everything else in the car.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/250998547848?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D250998547848%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

scangauge.jpg

that looks the business and would work well. i was hoping to get a new cluster for 50 quid or whatever and see if i could fit it myself.m that works out at about 150 for me and to be honest im not sure i can justify that!

if there was a cheaper option of that id be happy!

if there was a cheaper option of that id be happy!

Check this out:

http://www.amazon.co...1722515&sr=8-46

Or if you do not need so many informations:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLX-KiWi-MPG-OBD2-UNIVERSAL-Economy-meter-/290542926168?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item43a5b53958

- it is small, easy to find a place for it, easy to read green LED display.

Pidu, good find on that amazon one! looks worth the investment!

One of my colleagues installed it in his BMW like this:

tg3.jpg

Quite nice, almost factory look.

One of my colleagues installed it in his BMW like this

Quite nice, almost factory look.

nice job their Pidu,

your colleague must be a professional with a dremil to be able to cut it out so perfectly,

your colleague must be a professional with a dremil to be able to cut it out so perfectly,

He is not, believe me ;) But he tried, did not hurry and final effect is more than ok.

He is not, believe me ;) But he tried, did not hurry and final effect is more than ok.

id crack up if i slipped when cutting the dash like that or if i scuffed the edge.

id rather try to de-fuse a bomb than try and cut out the dash like that mate,

atleast if i made an error on the bomb defusing well i wouldnt have to live with it for too long lol

O c'mon, this was just a piece of plastic that could be replaced in case of need, so no stress. You do similar things cutting your dashboard :)

they look great and give the right info. i might treat myself to it after these next 2 weeks of exams if i pass them :)

just need somewhere to fit it like pidu's colleague so it looks almost factory

• 7 years later...

You are all forgetting one thing here guys you can actually reprogramme all your own instrument cluster into any car and even do milage correction on it and add and remove keys and programme your immobilisers these days there is a software programme called CARPROG which actually allows you to do all this your self at home with by simply connecting the CARPROG box to your obd port on the car and then using the functions in the software to read and writes the codes and eeproms and also does much more besides I belive you can get the whole CARPROG kit with everything including all the plugs and adapters and box and everything for around 40-50 pounds now belive me folks they do actually work as I have programmed many instrument cluster new and second hand to cars with this kit it's a fantastic peice of kit well worth the investment and does everything you need it to do on any part of the car it can even tune ecu and do much more besides and saves you a fortune oh and by the way it does also reprogramme radios and codes all by the click of a button there are just too many features to list of what they kit and software can do for you 

Probably a bit late to be telling them that now 😉.

39 minutes ago, Martyn797 said:

You are all forgetting one thing here guys you can actually reprogramme all your own instrument cluster into any car and even do milage correction on it and add and remove keys and programme your immobilisers these days there is a software programme called CARPROG which actually allows you to do all this your self at home with by simply connecting the CARPROG box to your obd port on the car and then using the functions in the software to read and writes the codes and eeproms and also does much more besides I belive you can get the whole CARPROG kit with everything including all the plugs and adapters and box and everything for around 40-50 pounds now belive me folks they do actually work as I have programmed many instrument cluster new and second hand to cars with this kit it's a fantastic peice of kit well worth the investment and does everything you need it to do on any part of the car it can even tune ecu and do much more besides and saves you a fortune oh and by the way it does also reprogramme radios and codes all by the click of a button there are just too many features to list of what they kit and software can do for you 

Sounds like perfect kit for criminals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club