How To: Change Speedo Illumination
Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:13 PM
what you need:
- soldering iron (point nib)
- solder and flux
- tweezers (or some other item to hold SMD LED's
- Desoldering braid
- torx screw drivers
- flat head screw drivers
- masking tape
- time, approx 3 hours (taking time and breaks)
- Experience and Nerve to do this. (if it goes wrong, worst case scenerio is new cluster - £700 from ford!!!)
you can purchase the required LED's here: (i am in no way affiliated)
i personally bought 30 as it leaves spares, just incase i cooked any as they are really heat sensitive.
1) disconnect you battery (precautionary measure)
2) pull steering wheel towards you and leave unlocked
3) pull the plastic cowling away from the top of the steering wheel connected to the speedo, to reveal 2x torx screws
4) unscrew torx screws and put somewhere secure
5) pull the unit away from dash, the unit itself has a clip on the top about half way...it is very difficult but it will come away with effort.
6) unplug the unit from the car and head to work station.
7) remove the plastic cover, 5 clips around the outside (black)
8) using some tape mark down where the needles sit at rest (dont twist them, its difficult to recallibrate)
9) using the fork remove the needles (the grey base may come off, thats fine) but again dont twist needles!!!
10) remove the black speedo face
11) remove small LCD screen, it slides towards bottom and pulls away...place in safe place.
11) around outside of the remaining unit is white clips...undo these carefully and ply into two parts.
12) you are now left with a white plastic cover and the PCB inside.
13) around the outside of the pcb is more white clips holding it, carefully prize off and remove the PCB.
14) from here you remove old SMD LED's, use the soldering iron on coolest setting (if possible) be very very careful not to have it too hot...you will know if it is as the pads on the circuit board will come up with the LED...damaging the circuit if you dont know what your doing! so again dont do it if you have no experiance....get someone who has!!!
15) solder in the new LEDS and reassemble. enjoy new illuminations
i have attached the picture guide to this thread, in order, (thanks to crazyleds.co.uk)
again check the link above to see my work
Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:18 PM
given time i will post up a how to for the climate controls, window controls etc.
Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:51 PM
could some one move this to the guides page
Copy&Paste works on all sections of this forum not just the guide section
Pree's Door Handle Illumination Guide from FOC now on FFOC copied and pasted
Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM
fair play to you for having th balls to disect your cluster, and with excellent results their mate.
Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:07 PM
and i forgot the disclaimer: i and FOC will not take any responsibility for anyone who tries this and messes it up! it is your responsibility only.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users