Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Smart Service Plan

Sara Fiesta

Hi, as I said, persoanlly I'd not take any risk, I like to think I am protecting other people, not just myself.

I don't see how that comment relates to what I have said, I'm amused that your implying that I'm taking as I see it precautions to protect myself, that somehow exclude the safety of others......are you trying to make me appear to be the Devil Incarnate :rolleyes:

Now if you can show me evidence like the following:

@ 3.00mm tread depth in wet conditions stopping distance increases by 8%

@1.60mm minimum legal requirement in the same conditions stopping distance increases by 37%.

Then I'll buy it, indeed I have, as my car like the emergency services vehicles, and cars that ferry government ministers around have their tyres changed at circa 3.00mm.

But I have yet to see evidence that cars running with brake fluid older than twenty four months are more inclined to be in accidents than cars that have had the brake fluid changed every twenty four months. It ain't happened to me in 49 years of motoring. But I do know I would rather be in a vehicle with four year old brake oil in the pipes than one running on 2.0mm of rubber in wet conditions.

I also liked to think that the car manufacturers get their advice from the companies that supply the fluid, with all of their science to hand.

A valid point, but then again one could also offer up the opinion that a company that manufactures a product makes more profit the more product they can convince people to buy.

And lets just forget for one moment the over the top service charges Main Dealers stuff new car owners with during the warranty period. So that, said my local Ford Main Dealer is doing interim services for £99 on cars threes old or over......not bad for what in essence is actually an oil and filter change, considering I bought Castrol Magantec fully synthetic for £18 retail , and what £4 ish for a oil filter?

So lets imagine you can bump up an oil change service from £99 to £159 with the brake fluid change charge [just a guess] That's pushing you cash take per service up by over 60% Now when I was in business I'd have said anything that pushes customer spend up 60% ..................I'll have some of that :rolleyes:

Not someone who just has a opinion...

Chris

Hang on a minuet are you saying having an opinion that goes against industry opinion is just plain wrong? Or is it just my opinion that you cannot stomach?

I ask for clarification because on THIS THREAD in post #16 you chew off tomo2001 who expressed an opinion in line with industry recommendation. tomo2001 ignored you, so me being the kinda helpful guy that I am, provided you with a link to Industry and expert opinion...........obviously it differed to your opinion, so that was the end of any input from you on the issue.................And I suspect that is where I fell foul of the rule "don't dispute the opinion of cuke" In that ever since that post, any posts where I express an opinion that differs to yours, you reply in derogatory manner.

Now I've not got a problem with that, just don't be surprised what comes back at ya.

Opinion is what makes public forums, take note of them, ignore them or debate them and leave it at that.

I will say one thing though, if your the kinda guy who is inclined to chip his cars so he can use the public roads as a "poor man's race track` ..............Then I would agree, in the interest of the safety for others on those roads. It would indeed be better that they change their brake fluid and tyres more regularly than need be............

Catch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sara Fiesta

• cuke

• catch

• NorthSussex

Hi, catch, I apologise if I have caused any offence, and lets not get into a public debate. I was mearly saying that the recommendation by a independant garage is a 'opinion', ok. If you have any further issues with that then we'll either beg to differ or we can conduct our argument by personal message. As far as the thread you pointed out, I was asking for clarification,, seemed like a resonable request.

Chris

Back on topic, I have just had a revised service plan, nothing to pay up front, then £19 per month for 30 months.

That will then give me the next three services plus the first MOT, plus 10% discount any parts used or accessories purchased, plus 20% discount on tyres, so done deal as far as I am concerned

Cuke,

I can assure you I ain't wanting to conduct an argument on the boards or by PM, so let that be the end of it. Besides I'm soon up and soon down, I say what I think needs saying, but I don't hold grudges.................not like women do..............take em to the grave they do :rolleyes:

Anyway it's the wife and mines 44th wedding anniversary today, and my daughters 41st birthday to boot......................so smiles all round :D

Hi catch, nether was I, have a happy day. I have a hearing to attend today that will decided my future employemnt, stress all around :(

Chris

Cuke,

I can assure you I ain't wanting to conduct an argument on the boards or by PM, so let that be the end of it. Besides I'm soon up and soon down, I say what I think needs saying, but I don't hold grudges.................not like women do..............take em to the grave they do :rolleyes:

Anyway it's the wife and mines 44th wedding anniversary today, and my daughters 41st birthday to boot......................so smiles all round :D

Congratulations! :rolleyes:Enjoy your day.

Cheers Stormin,

First time back on the board since the earlier post, been a busy boy :D

Chris,

I hope all went well with the meeting today.

Happy anniversary, just recently celebrated my 9th, :blink: , long way yet to match you though.

• 2 months later...

Having just booked my Focus in for a 75k service, I was offered the the Smart plan.

Includes 4 x services and 4x MOT, at a total cost of £722 (or £180 each time). I have to say, that's a pretty fair price especially for a main dealer - about the same as my local garage would charge for a service + MOT, plus I'm getting genuine Ford parts.

If we assume that the MOT costs £30 each time, then it's £150 for the service itself. It includes free pickup from work too which is a big help, plus free puncture repairs, free safety checks etc and 10% off all other parts.

Also includes breakdown cover, so maybe I can cancel the AA and save £100 a year.

I'm normally very sceptical of plans like this, whipping out the calculator to do the maths and see if I'm being ripped off - but got to admit I'm very tempted to go for it.

What do people think?

Let's see how my 75k service goes next week (if they add on all sorts of extras and advisories then maybe it's a no-no)

• 2 years later...

car is due its first MOT end of July....havent found a decent local garage yet...Below is what Ford are offereing..

Benefit of taking out a service Club plan are:

• Cheaper scheduled servicing
  • All MOT’s included in the plan
  • Free AA Roadside Assistance
  • 10% discount on all parts, labour, accessories
  • No service bill to pay on the day
  • Inflation proof servicing for up to five years
  • Spread the cost by monthly Direct Debits
  • Wash and vac with every service
  • Unlimited puncture repairs
  • Unlimited vehicle health checks
  • £100 off your next vehicle purchase with TrustFord

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club