Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2002

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Dear all

Over the last 6 to 8 mths , i have notice a whining noise , in gears 2nd and 3rd, I have no idea what this is and how to fix this, here some points on it

1, when in 2nd gear its at it worst , you can hear it whin up and down from speeds of 20-10mph, its been like this for a while now and doesnt seen to get any higher pitch then it is already is..but can be annoying not know what it is!!

2.In 3rd gear its only slight and can only just hear it

Is this somthing bad?? Can it be fixed?? will it cause damage in the long run??

Hope you take you time to reply to my topic because i have no idea with not much machanic knowledge!!

Thanks Carl

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi Carl

Although not an easy job get the gearbox oil changed its 10 years old and will be full of metal and nasties.

The Whining etc could very well be a symptom of low gearbox oil. or wear due to age etc etc.

Dont Give up on the gearbox until the oil has been changed

Although its a for life lubricant it can be drained out by removing the reverse detent cover and or a driveshaft.

Castrol Manual SMX-S Gear Oil is a fully synthetic SAE 75W/85 manual gear oil

Hope This Helps

Jamie

#3 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi Carl

Did this help ??

Only use the oil i have specified as these are known trouble box's that only favour the expensive stuff.

Jamie :-)

#4 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

As Jamie above me said change your gearbox oil before changing the gearbox or whatever, as it might be the cause of the issue you're having.

My Fiesta (Zetec unit not OHV unit like your Flight model) there's a noticable whine in 1st and 2nd, and just like you when slowing down from 10-20mph to a stop (clutch depressed or not, makes no difference) it sounds almost like a milkfloat. I did loads of research loads of older Fiesta owners like us are having the same noise from their cars. So essentially it might just be a certain 'quirk' of these gearboxes. I replaced the oil in mine and it's made the noise quieter, but it's still there.

When you put the car in neutral, and then lift your foot off the clutch (engine on obviously) can you hear a grinding/spinning type of noise? Mine does that too, sounds like either the input shaft or layshaft, but again lots of Fiesta owners notice a similar sound.

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Layshaft bearing probably.

#6 Fieta 51 plate butler

Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the help!! I will change the gearbox some how, the whining does only happen in gears 1 2 and 3 , the car as only done 40000 miles , in no gear it sounds ok, I have been told its a bearing wearing in the gearbox, the only problem I will have now is putting oil in the gearbox because i have no how to do this

#7 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi Carl

Oil not gearbox :-(

Buy a haynes manual.

Some useful bits of kit you may need and want to keep for other jobs in the future are.

Socket Set
a length of clear plastic pipe http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5891b09b03
a Oil removing pump http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3368c8e5ae
Lots of Old Rags
Trolley Jack
Axle Stands
Metric spanners
Posi screwdriver
blade screwdriver
the oil there are two types CASTROL SYNTRANS FE 75W/CASTROL SYNTRANS MULTIVEHICLE 75W-90
(previously known as SMX-S
)

You must make sure you check either with halfords or a motor factor or if you get a haynes manual it will state one of the above.

Thick gloves (Rubbery sort) (Protects your hands from oil/dirt and scrapes etc etc)

An easy way of removing as much of the old oil as possible is to use the oil extraction pump by inserting the hose into the gearbox.

To Do this you need to use a spanner to remove the reverse gear switch which if you stand over the bonnet of the car and look at the front of the gearbox you will see a plug exiting the gearbox horizontly with two wires coming out of it. (sorry about my explanations)

a little oil might seep this is normal.

Before you do all this take the car on a run that means you can do 60mph for a few miles this will heat up the old oil in the gearbox and the crap will suspend in the oil making it easier to get as much out as possible,

You will need two bottles of the oil above and you will have a little left over.

Before doing any of this please please get a haynes manual for the car you have.

The local library is the easiest option you can borrow it for up to 3 weeks in most librarys but dont get it dirty lol.

And be warned cars are heavy and if you dont take proper safety precautions it could seriously injur you or kill you if the car falls on you when you are working on it.

Sorry if this puts you off but once you get a sense of knowing what you are doing it can actually be fun because then you will learn how to maintain a car inside and out without spending 000's or 0000's at a garage.

Jamie

#8 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Ford
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi Carl

Although not an easy job get the gearbox oil changed its 10 years old and will be full of metal and nasties.

The Whining etc could very well be a symptom of low gearbox oil. or wear due to age etc etc.

Dont Give up on the gearbox until the oil has been changed

Although its a for life lubricant it can be drained out by removing the reverse detent cover and or a driveshaft.

Castrol Manual SMX-S Gear Oil is a fully synthetic SAE 75W/85 manual gear oil

Hope This Helps

Jamie

Changing the gearbox oil is a terrible idea, it will cause more problems than good.

Edit: Stupid suggestion, are you sure it isn't coming from the speakers?

#9 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Edit: Stupid suggestion, are you sure it isn't coming from the speakers?

That is a valid point.
If it's a whirring noise that increases with the revs it could well be the aux connector has come loose - that's if you have one fitted.
Try running the car with stereo off to eliminate a possibly easy fix.
If it's the radio picking up interference from the alternator etc. try fitting ferrous cores on the aerial cable.

#10 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

thankyou d lockers i now feel this small .

#11 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

@Jamie: lol I suppose each will always be to their own, dLockers, why would you not recommened changing the gearbox oil?

#12 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

@Jamie: lol I suppose each will always be to their own, dLockers, why would you not recommened changing the gearbox oil?

Gearbox oil for the most part is not meant to be changed. It ages with the box.

It's like throwing redex or some other magic engine cleaner in an old engine block - it's not recommended. It will dislodge crap and block the engine.

If you swap the oil you risk it seeping out of the oil seals that are now aged with the oil that's in there.

Better answer:
http://answers.yahoo...17110443AAmotae

Oxidized oil + metal shavings + sludge

Definitely pursue the radio option.

#13 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

If changing the oil in the gearbox is so bad why do we change the oil in our engines ?

#14 Fieta 51 plate butler

Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Wow , changing gearbox sounds a tough job for a novice knowledge Person like me, to put things into what I have notice with the car is follows,

I got the car at 37300 from a lad who had a custom made exhaust on it, very noisy and well looked after, when I was driving the car at first, I didn't notice the whining because it's my first car and would of thought it was normal, after a few weeks of driving it, I did start listening to the engine whining noise, deceleration to turn couners, with the stupid exhaust I had on . I proberly couldn't hear it in acceleration though and past 2nd gear , I monited the noise going though 2700ish with no changes to it, then I had my car MOT about 3 weeks ago , got the exhaust removed for a standed one put on, that's when I notice the whining up as well as down, proberly hear more then now, but I think I will leave it how it is for the next 300-500 miles and if the noise increases will get something done, my question is????

1.will this cause damage to the car if it doesn't change in any way???

I would like to get under the bonnet and fix this myself but I can't from a book, I can only do things when I have watched someone do it or show things!!!

So I will leave it how it is and carry on as normal,

Also done the radio test and the noise is still their,

#15 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

If changing the oil in the gearbox is so bad why do we change the oil in our engines ?

Because this sludges up exponentially faster and is a service item.

If you change the oil regularly from day one, you probably won't have a problem, and can do it to your hearts content.

Changing oil in a gearbox that has original oil in it 10 years later is not advisable because of the reasons I said.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users