Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Carl

Leave the gearbox oil change job for a while.

your right it is a tough job for a novice.

One easy thing could be that you ask that the oil level in the box is just below the reverse switch plug just to be sure that its not infact empty

One other thing i have thought is could it be a wheel bearing. now obviously is this noise coming from the passenger side front

Jamie

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Fieta 51 plate butler

Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2002

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Its defo the gearbox, because , when am in N , it makes no noise at all, where do I look to check the level as I have no idea where that is ???

#18 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Ford
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Its defo the gearbox, because , when am in N , it makes no noise at all, where do I look to check the level as I have no idea where that is ???

..how does that make it the gearbox?

When in neutral lots of components aren't moving, and when in gear lots of components are

Do not check the level, it's a silly idea. These gearboxes are sealed for the life of the car, they don't have a way to check the level other than to see if oil is 'there' - which won't end well.

Gearbox oil also STINKS and will stain the drive permanently.

Gearbox oil level will only be too low if you have an obvious massive leak.

#19 Fieta 51 plate butler

Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

So what could it possible be , a high pitched whining noise that only occurs in 2nd gear mostly with the clutch padel pressed down, between speeds of 25 to 10 , mostly heard at 22, if I take it out of gear at this stage to N , it goes away, can you explain this d locker ???

#20 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

So what could it possible be , a high pitched whining noise that only occurs in 2nd gear mostly with the clutch padel pressed down, between speeds of 25 to 10 , mostly heard at 22, if I take it out of gear at this stage to N , it goes away, can you explain this d locker ???

I still think it's the speakers personally.

It's not your gear box, and it 100% isn't because of the gear box oil. Could be driveshafts, clutch, etc.

Take it for an italian tune up, or someone who knows what they're talking about it. This is an internet forum after all, not many of us are qualified.

#21 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Well we will find out what it is before long

Jamie

#22 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

would you calm down for one minute D lockers.

Stop saying my posts are either silly or stupid !

Jamie

I'm sorry but removing the reverse switch to see if there is any oil isn't silly or stupid?

Ofc there is going to be oil - where do you think it's gone otherwise? Evaporated? The ford box fitted to these is a sealed unit, aka no maintenance.

#23 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I know all of this ok. im sorry too now can we be mates.

:-(

Jamie

#24 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

No it's not a sealed unit at all. I know this from changing the oil in my very own gearbox, dLockers no offence intended, but less of the theory and more practical experience is needed on your behalf I'm afraid.

I personally won't be drawn into a huge 'debate', because I don't know you personally, and to each other we're just a random guy from the FOC - but if people have given advice and tried to help, there's no need to be so downright arrogant and disregard everything they say, it's very, well... arrogant.

#25 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

No it's not a sealed unit at all. I know this from changing the oil in my very own gearbox, dLockers no offence intended, but less of the theory and more practical experience is needed on your behalf I'm afraid.

I personally won't be drawn into a huge 'debate', because I don't know you personally, and to each other we're just a random guy from the FOC - but if people have given advice and tried to help, there's no need to be so downright arrogant and disregard everything they say, it's very, well... arrogant.

The gear box is a sealed unit. The only way to get oil in the box is via the reverse switch being removed or removing a drive shaft (my personal method). There is no sump plug.

Im trying to save you wasting your time. Your not a mechanic, and I doubt you've done anywhere near the stuff I have done (http://www.bitpoint....%20%2873%29.jpg) nor achieved.

It's not arrogance. It's trying to stop you chasing a red herring. Take it to a mechanic.

#26 Fieta 51 plate butler

Fieta 51 plate butler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

All I asked for is advice , I didn't mean to cause a war!! I was wondering if they was am easy fix to this problem or will it cause further damage to the car?!?

I can't see it bring the speakers tho, because the radio been turned off (dlockers)

I am no engineer in cars and was trying save 0000s on this,

All you who have posted have been very helpful but this as turned in abit of debate ,

#27 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Visibly check all of the drive shafts for anything obvious, torn gaiters etc.

Italian tune up (take it for a spirited drive, it may be rust or some other crud)

Other than that, a high pitched whine isn't really much to go on I'm afraid. If the radio is off, odds are it's not the speakers - it's just a very common interference problem that describes your exact symptoms.

If you are clutching in and it goes away it could be the flywheel, clutch itself or yes - gearbox. I doubt it though.

It could be that the engine is making the noise under load at specific frequencies.

It could be that the wheel bearings are making when under load, at specific speeds.

There is a million and one things it could be.

#28 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Taking it for an 'Italian' style drive is the last thing Carl wants by the sounds of it, he's worried about doing damage to his car so I don't think he would be all that happy. Plus, it will solve nothing and potentially make it worse.

Wheel bearings - possible, have you got access to a jack? Give the wheels a shake when it's off the ground, if the wheel bearings are particularly bad you'll hear when you turn the hubs.

It's most likely the layshaft or input shaft bearings, these are particularly noisy in these generations of gearboxes Ford uses. If you Google you'll find loads of people with similar issues.

You won't cause any damage on these cars, I have had the same noise on mine since I've bought it. Someone told me it was the clutch release bearing, but he was one of these 'done a few things on his car and thinks he's a mountain of knowledge' sort of people, there's too many of those unfortunately.

If it were the clutch release bearing the noise would be worse when you push down on the clutch, as that's when the clutch release bearing is under pressure.

EDIT: I forgot to post that if you want to check the gearbox oil level there's a plug on the side facing the front of the car. This is worth a try, make sure you're parked on level ground and use an 8mm allen key on the plug. Top up until oil flows out, use the oil Jamie gave details on in one of the first posts. You will find it will either do nothing or quieten the noise down quite a lot. Just one of those things which is worth a try, and is essentially easy peasy!

#29 dLockers

dLockers

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

lol at fixation on gearbox oil.

#30 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Carl, if you are in any doubt then as dLockers does take it to a mechanic as that way you'll know for sure what the problem is.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users