Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed Mot, Lots Of Problems

talksy

Hi, my Fiesta just went in for MOT and has come back with more fails then I have ever seen.

Could any one help me work out roughly what I am going to have to pay my local garage to get it up to scratch?

Since the mot, the garage have still not got back to me and I really want to get this sorted so I can crack on with selling my car.

I have a 2006 mk6.5 zetec 1.25 petrol.

Fails were:

Both front wipers no good, need replacing (not too concerned by this, I can sort this job out)

Centre, rear stop lamp not working (maybe a fuse? Not sure)

NS Front brake pads less than 1.5mm

OS Front brake pads less than 1.5mm

Exauhst fumes too high

I have the following advisories:

NS brake disk worn

NS Front road wheel with slightly distored bead rim

OS Front road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim

oil Leak - Dangerous

The mechanic who did the MOT is my uncle so I know he won't be messing me about.

He said,

The pads and disks need changing

It needs a new upper oxy sensor p0030 header control circuit bank 1 sensor to stop the poor oxygen readings.

He said the oil filter needs changing as it is leaking all over the floor and the oil is very black

And that it needs a general service.

It has been almost 2 years since it has had a service, and it has been sat for the last year and not used, just started every fortnight and warmed up in my car park.

Any suggestions on costs for repair would be really helpful. I was wanting to sell it, but can't do so with a failed MOT or with it in this state!

If my mates done all of the above for me £170ish all in

I think between £250 and £300. Quite honestly, not servicing your car for 2 years is not good especially if you have an uncle that will look after you. Sorry for the reprimand, but if you get your car in order, you will get more money for it. Let your Uncle do the work and get oit passed the mot

Best of luck

I think between £250 and £300. Quite honestly, not servicing your car for 2 years is not good especially if you have an uncle that will look after you. Sorry for the reprimand, but if you get your car in order, you will get more money for it. Let your Uncle do the work and get oit passed the mot

Best of luck

Thanks for your posts. I wish I was able to service it each year, but unfortunately, all of my money goes on Fuel. I am currently spending around £550 a month getting to and from work and it leaves me literally nothing. I stopped using the Fiesta and parked it up for nearly the whole of that period. So its last service was when I was regularly using it. Since then it has not been used and not serviced. I was hoping the lack of usage would mean it would not need very much by way of servicing, but what a mistake that was.

One of my fails was:

Centre, rear stop lamp not working

Does anyone know if this lamp takes bulbs?

I believe the lamp is LED and I would have thought they'd be a replaceable unit. Make sure there's power by using a multimeter before replacing it, if not they're probably really cheap on eBay.

:)

"more fails than I've ever seen"? hardly ought wrong! brakes pads next to nothing, (it didn't fail on discs) stop lamp, change bulb, emissions, cheap enough, by the way re bead alighnment, let down tyres flat, squirt half bottle of fairy liquid roud beads/tyres pump up to about 50 psi, they will align, shuld have seen my ex car fail both sills and floor welding, track rod ends, emisions, cat gone, hence me buying 23 yo fiesta now

The mechanic who did the MOT is my uncle so I know he won't be messing me about.

He said,

The pads and disks need changing

It needs a new upper oxy sensor p0030 header control circuit bank 1 sensor to stop the poor oxygen readings.

He said the oil filter needs changing as it is leaking all over the floor and the oil is very black

And that it needs a general service.

Front Pads for a decent make like bosch/mintex would probably be about £22-25 retail front axle, discs again for a decent make probably about £20-30 retail per disc worst case.

Oxy sensor shouldnt think would be cheap, and you dont really want a universal one. Assuming its your uncle doing the repairs for you, im guessing he should be able to get a decent NGK/Bosch one for about £60-70 wheras a ford one will probably set you back 120.

oil filter would be about £5 and for the right spec Castrol oil probably about £35.

Plus the old dreaded VAT and labour which prbably tops 2 hours if that, say probably about 300!??! That is, for a retail job pricing mind you!

Benefits of having an uncle in the trade is that you should fingers crossed get a decent discount on parts and labour, every little helps! :)

Hi Guys, thanks for all of your posts and break downs on costs.

I am so glad to have an uncle who knows what he is doing. But its a shame he is always so busy. The garage he works for is always really busy, which from a customers point of view is a pain as it takes them so long to get back to you with news / slots to book the car in.

I dropped it in on Wednesday evening and have not heard anything back yet. Uncle said he would fit it in when he could.

Fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club