Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sony Dab Aerial

021C

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony DAB head unit to replace the non DAB version of the same unit in my 2008 1.8 TDCI focus titanium.

I was told it was taken from a 2010 focus and so far it works perfectly with my bluetooth module, stalk etc.

I understand that I need to replace the aerial mast and base ( which I am in the process of organising ) however when the Sony DAB arrived it only has the standard aerial connection. I expected the unit to have an FM and separate DAB connection.

it is a DAB mp3 CD unit ( similar age to the original factor fitted unit ( 2007 date) and has the DAB marking on the faceplate.

I have it fitted and can access FM perfectly. My problem is I am unable to find any way to search for digital stations. Does the functionality depend on a DAB compatible aerial being fitted and did ford fit units that shared FM and DAB via one single connection to the head unit?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Hi, I believe you do need to have the correct aerial and I can't see why they would have two connections when you only have the one aerial...

Chris

That's my thinking.

I am aware that some do have a dedicated connection for the DAB and I think the mast base for the combined mast splits the two signals?

Parts guys aren't sure on this one and ford aren't too quick to reply to questions ;) want to make sure I'm ordering the right cables

Stu

I'm not sure there should be a double connector on the aerial.

Is there a double connector on the back of the radio?

If not then this may be what you need.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-DAB-Aerial-/190654153965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63df84ed

I'm not sure there should be a double connector on the aerial.

Not sure myself - I've seen a few 'how to's' and they replace the mast and base, which suggests that both are needed...

Is there a double connector on the back of the radio?

No - just a single connection exactly like the FM only unit I've replaced

If not then this may be what you need. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c63df84ed

Cheers - I have one of those on order and I believe the wire wrapped around the mast takes care of the DAB signal. This obviously must then be past through the base, down the A pillar and across to the radio (which is done in two different cables.

I'm fairly confident that the mast, base and mast to A pillar cable will be correct. Just the connection on the back of the unit and the lack of visuals to check that's confusing things. Parts guys are getting the parts in the confirm either way - just thought someone on here may have gone through the same process . It's fair to say after I'm done with this I will be creating a how to as I have amassed a lot of information during my search currently not in any particular order ;)

Stu

The helix wire on the aerial is because FM and DAB are two different frequency ranges.

FM is from 88 - 108 MHZ wheras DAB is 174 - 240MHZ, while they are still in the VHF range (30 -300 MHZ) there is a need to optimise the range in which the aerials receive.

Right - that makes sense.

From that I deduce that as FM and DAB signals share the same VHF 'space' - albeit at opposing ends, the same signals can be passed via one connection?

This may also explain why my unit does not show any ability to search for DAB stations....

Right - that makes sense.

From that I deduce that as FM and DAB signals share the same VHF 'space' - albeit at opposing ends, the same signals can be passed via one connection?

This may also explain why my unit does not show any ability to search for DAB stations....

That would be my understanding, yes.

If the frequencies were widely different as in VHF and UHF then totally different aerials (antenna is technically more correct as an aerial would mean transmit and recieve) would be needed - think carphone kits and huge CB aerials - size is important in those cases (it's to do with sympathetic oscillation of the aerial with the frequency).

Sorry if i'm being too techy, in a previous life in the military one of my jobs was as a radio instructor (HF, VHF, UHF, SHF) :blink:

hey stoney, you didnt happen to teach radio fundamentals at no.1 radio school, raf cosford by any chance? lol

Not me I'm afraid.

I was field comms and manpack systems.

Regiment instructor at Halton and Honington.

Also weapons, field medic, NBC, STO, SHORAD and GDT. :P

The techier the better ;)

Although not a radio geek, I do have my own areas of interest / expertise and get equally detailed :) They may be of use on here some day......

I'll wait and see what comes back from the parts guys. Hopefully solid answers.... Well, we can only hope ;)

Stu

Best of luck Stu.

Should be an easy resolution.

you will find the ford wiki guide useful, its what i used when i installed mine - got parts from Ford - non dab to dab - good news!

i can tpost the link on here as it is not allowed so google ford wiki dab and it should find it.

Yeah I've seen the wiki guide and that's what helped me identify the part numbers.

I take it you have also fitted the DAB stereo? If so did you have only one aerial connection on the back?

I'm keen to get the DAB sorted for my daily commute :)

yep, only the one connection. simples.

Brilliant - so did you need to replace all parts ( cable from radio to A pillar / A pillar to mast base / mast base / mast ) or just the mast itself (possibly mast base)?

I can't see why the cables would be different, only that the guy on the wiki was keeping the original cable in place if he later sold the car and needed to go back to the original...

Stu

yep, you need to replace the cables from base to dab unit, easy to do. clips all in place. i left my wiring in too - i may remove the dab unit and replace with oem unit when selling the car, sell for apprx £175 on eBay.

Do you have the part numbers for the components you used? I used the ones for the wiki....

i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.

i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.

Yeah - I found that too. Although I managed to get the price down a little - which made it a little easier to stomach. My other half thinks I'm nuts... all this effort for DAB. They don't understand!

it IS worth it. I had to visit the outlaws over the weekend and the full use of DAB came in very handy up and down the M1.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have now received (finally) the cables to retrofit the DAB radio properly.

However, despite asking the parts people to check, the cable from the A pillar to the back of the radio has 2 connectors - standard FM and a separate black connector which I assume is for the DAB - however I can't see anywhere for this to go..... Do I need this cable as my DAB unit only has the one connector on the back...

I ordered the cable from the wiki which originally made be doubt the connection I needed once I had received the radio (hence my original post above):

800px-Aerial_Splitter_(Stereo_End).JPG

The back of my DAB unit looks like this. Will the standard cable going to the A pillar connect and work? as both FM an DAB signals are sent down the one cable to the A pillar connector.

DAB.jpg

Any thoughts on this would help as Ford are not forthcoming with an answer.

Stu

your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.

your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.

Yes- this is why I'm confused. Purchased the unit from eBay and it works fine with my voice / mic/ BT but does not have a obvious connection for DAB. I also cannot see any way to access DAB options or attempt to search for DAB stations. I assumed this was due to an incorrect aerial. Pics of unit below.

It's a similar age unit as what I had in my early 08 focus. Perhaps they only had one connector to begin with? From what I can see the cable that fits to the new aerial mast sends both DAB and FM down one connection. It is then split via the radio to A pillar cable.

DAB_2.jpg

DAB_3.jpg