6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Name: Stu
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Focus Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Brilliant - so did you need to replace all parts ( cable from radio to A pillar / A pillar to mast base / mast base / mast ) or just the mast itself (possibly mast base)?

I can't see why the cables would be different, only that the guy on the wiki was keeping the original cable in place if he later sold the car and needed to go back to the original...

Stu

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

yep, you need to replace the cables from base to dab unit, easy to do. clips all in place. i left my wiring in too - i may remove the dab unit and replace with oem unit when selling the car, sell for apprx £175 on ebay.

#18 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Do you have the part numbers for the components you used? I used the ones for the wiki....

#19 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.

#20 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.

Yeah - I found that too. Although I managed to get the price down a little - which made it a little easier to stomach. My other half thinks I'm nuts... all this effort for DAB. They don't understand!

#21 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

it IS worth it. I had to visit the outlaws over the weekend and the full use of DAB came in very handy up and down the M1.

#22 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

I have now received (finally) the cables to retrofit the DAB radio properly.

However, despite asking the parts people to check, the cable from the A pillar to the back of the radio has 2 connectors - standard FM and a separate black connector which I assume is for the DAB - however I can't see anywhere for this to go..... Do I need this cable as my DAB unit only has the one connector on the back...

I ordered the cable from the wiki which originally made be doubt the connection I needed once I had received the radio (hence my original post above):

Posted Image

The back of my DAB unit looks like this. Will the standard cable going to the A pillar connect and work? as both FM an DAB signals are sent down the one cable to the A pillar connector.

Posted Image

Any thoughts on this would help as Ford are not forthcoming with an answer.

Stu

#23 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.

#24 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

have a look of the pics on this listing: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231b413435

it shows a connection point r/h side for the dab aerial

#25 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.

Yes- this is why I'm confused. Purchased the unit from eBay and it works fine with my voice / mic/ BT but does not have a obvious connection for DAB. I also cannot see any way to access DAB options or attempt to search for DAB stations. I assumed this was due to an incorrect aerial. Pics of unit below.

It's a similar age unit as what I had in my early 08 focus. Perhaps they only had one connector to begin with? From what I can see the cable that fits to the new aerial mast sends both DAB and FM down one connection. It is then split via the radio to A pillar cable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

thats a wierd one mate. i'm surprised at this as there appears to be no connection for the dab aerial. have you tried to remove the back cover when the mounting should be to see if there is anything there?

#27 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Just been to double check my aerial mast and base. The new base is larger and the mast is different. At least that means I've got the correct DAB compatible parts - just need to work out the radio now......frustrating as I don't want to pull the car to bits to find it doesn't work.

Stu

#28 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

thats a wierd one mate. i'm surprised at this as there appears to be no connection for the dab aerial. have you tried to remove the back cover when the mounting should be to see if there is anything there?

No - but I admit it has crossed my mind as the only difference between the example you posted from ebay and mine is a plate mounted. Perhaps they added them as an afterthought? If there is a connection in there it would be fiddly to attach. Alternatively one aerial connection could have handled both DAB and FM and done the separation on the board. Two connections could have been added later....

#29 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

if all else fails, return the dab unit and say it doesnt work - ebay purchase means you should be protected.

#30 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

if all else fails, return the dab unit and say it doesnt work - ebay purchase means you should be protected.

Hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

Can I ask - when you access DAB stations what procedure do you follow. I haven't been able to even see a way to search for DAB stations. The lack of a suitable aerial would explain this I hope. I was just curious how you cycle between FM / AM / DAB etc.

Stu

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users