• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600
  • Year: 2011
Contributor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

when the hell did this car come out? I've seen people talking about it but haven't seen it on sale or on the ford website....

any links?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 hedgepig

hedgepig

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Well Ive had the zetec s around a month now and covered just over 1000 miles. Overall i'm very happy with it.
The engine pick-up at low revs seems to have definately improved. However, the main performance doesn't really come alive until you hit 4k on the rev counter.
Brakes are outstanding as is the overall handling.
A couple of negatives. The rear parcel shelf is really flimsy to say the least! Also, the body panels do seem abit flimsy to. Depress in very easily when washing the car. Especially the rear quaters. The fuel tank seems a tad small, but this may be in comparison to my vectra. A full tank gives 390 miles.
I've sorted a remap with www.sp-tuning.co.uk for £350 all in for gains of around 40bhp. Wife won't let that happen until i've sold my vectra though! :(

How do you find it on fuel?

I'm thinking about the 180 bhp Titanium X but curious on power and economy etc......

#18 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6T
  • Year: 2012

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

when the hell did this car come out? I've seen people talking about it but haven't seen it on sale or on the ford website....

any links?

The best i can find at this blurry eyed time of the morning is the link below.
I love mine despite a few niggles that don't impress me about the car.
I've not seen another one on the road as yet, and having the extra lower front and rear black gloss trim theyed be easy to spot. I'm hoping thats a good thing!! :mellow:
http://www.talkford....__fromsearch__1

#19 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

How do you find it on fuel?

I'm thinking about the 180 bhp Titanium X but curious on power and economy etc......

I think the fuel economy is cr4p to be fair. Although i don't do many miles so it's not to big an issue for me. I kind of feel conned.
From memory i'm sure on paper the stats were around 44 mpg in varied conditions. Yet mine's averaging 33 mpg. 70% of the time i just plod along, even changing up gear when the dash indicates to do so for max mpg, and using "stop start". The other 30% is more spirited (hate that word!) driving than caning it to death.
And although it has the 178 bhp it deliveres the power so linear it's hard to make out much of a surge when the turbo cuts in. Although that said, it does pull well, especially when the car hits 4000 rpm.
Perhaps i'm missing the point?? I'm no car reviewer, and it's been along time since i've owned a car with such a small engine. But my other car, (until sold) is a 2004 127000k Vectra 1.9 cdti mapped from 150 bhp to 190 bhp (ish) and it would leave the Focus for dead! I drove both today, "back to back" and it confirmed my feelings.
Having said that i am very happy overall with my Focus.
Hope that helps??

#20 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I think the fuel economy is cr4p to be fair. Although i don't do many miles so it's not to big an issue for me. I kind of feel conned.
From memory i'm sure on paper the stats were around 44 mpg in varied conditions. Yet mine's averaging 33 mpg. 70% of the time i just plod along, even changing up gear when the dash indicates to do so for max mpg, and using "stop start". The other 30% is more spirited (hate that word!) driving than caning it to death.
And although it has the 178 bhp it deliveres the power so linear it's hard to make out much of a surge when the turbo cuts in. Although that said, it does pull well, especially when the car hits 4000 rpm.
Perhaps i'm missing the point?? I'm no car reviewer, and it's been along time since i've owned a car with such a small engine. But my other car, (until sold) is a 2004 127000k Vectra 1.9 cdti mapped from 150 bhp to 190 bhp (ish) and it would leave the Focus for dead! I drove both today, "back to back" and it confirmed my feelings.
Having said that i am very happy overall with my Focus.
Hope that helps??

Just found the brochure from Ford and it said combined is 47.9!! Most of my driving is consists of 10 mile round trips to my local town on A roads. It also has a small tank range, 390 going on the trip computer.

#21 Maleforce

Maleforce

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI 95

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi Jamie, I'm not convinced of these tiny engines boosted to give massive bhp for their size either. To me something has got to give long term I'd rather have a larger engine less tuned and a more relaxed drive than have to vapourize a tiny unit giving the same power. It will be interesting to see how these high performance engines last after 5 years of driving, also its often the case that a diesel will give greater economy than these small petrol engines and the power is in the right area to make use of in every day driving.

#22 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi Jamie, I'm not convinced of these tiny engines boosted to give massive bhp for their size either. To me something has got to give long term I'd rather have a larger engine less tuned and a more relaxed drive than have to vapourize a tiny unit giving the same power. It will be interesting to see how these high performance engines last after 5 years of driving, also its often the case that a diesel will give greater economy than these small petrol engines and the power is in the right area to make use of in every day driving.

Apologies for the late reply, I've been unwell and pre-occupied with a stressful house move. As if theres a non stressful house move....
Anyhow. Graham, you've hit the nail on the head!!!
I feel a little embarassed to be honest. There are so few of the Zetec S petrols out there it was nice to have something a little different. Now i feel foolish and naive as all bar a few fools out there like me saw the writing on the wall!!
I'm so dissatisfied with my Focus Zetec S 180 petrol consumption, i'm returning it with a percieved "fault” to be rectified. You can’t bulls**t a potential buyer parting with the best part of 20 grand that a particular model does a “combined 47.9 mpg” when in the reality of day to day driving you’re getting 32 – 34 mpg!!
I’m no boy racer but i’m also no dreaded Sunday pensioner driver!
But my Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti, from memory was given an indicated average of about 49 mpg. And no matter how hard that car was driven it always returned a minimum of 47 mpg!!
It was the first Ford i’ve owned, and if “they” can tell such basic blatant lies like that, it will certainly be the last!!!
Just to add that i never got the car "re-mapped" and i've now covered around 2500 miles.

#23 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 977 posts
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi

I would not expect a new engine to reach its potential for at least 5000-10000 miles

Everything has to be run in gradually.

Tuning an engine when its only a baby will rip run it in rather than gradually.

Jamie

#24 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi

I would not expect a new engine to reach its potential for at least 5000-10000 miles

Everything has to be run in gradually.

Tuning an engine when its only a baby will rip run it in rather than gradually.

Jamie

Thanks for the imput Jamie.
I've heard similar but different stats.
The dealer said new cars don't need to be "run in" but should reach there maximum potential within 1500 to 2000 miles.
I suppose everyone has there own opinion about the "bedding in/running in"
I will certainly be taking the car back for inspection!

#25 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 977 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

running in still has to occur to some degree

The rings will have sharp edges. The castings will be tight in there bearings etc etc

This is one reason why mpg tends to get better slowly

Where in worcestershire are you

Jamie

#26 Wickwick10_1

Wickwick10_1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium
  • Year: 2011

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I was tempted to go for one of these but I have a titanium and the inside on zetec s is pretty standard compared to mine . Outside looks good but I think I will stick with titanium models as interior alot more refined .

#27 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 977 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

I think the alloys on the zetec s are the same as mine.

I miss the titanium spec. i think i shall only keep this car a year then upgrade

Jamie

#28 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

running in still has to occur to some degree

The rings will have sharp edges. The castings will be tight in there bearings etc etc

This is one reason why mpg tends to get better slowly

Where in worcestershire are you

Jamie

Just looked at your location Jamie. Thats spooky as i live just outside Evesham, in Offenham.

#29 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 977 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Cool :-) i know offenham :-)

I will bluefin my car once it has done a few thou

Jamie

#30 Jam1e

Jam1e

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is there much difference in price from the Focus Zetec S 180 to the Titanium??
Just to add that i'm unlikely to buy another Ford after the lies and subsequent wriggling out of the issue and responsibility Bristol Street have shown !
The official stats on mpg are 47. Mine has never been above 34 in 2700 miles! And generally sits about 33 mpg. The situation is made worse by the fact that there is little power below 4000 rpm, but i went ahead with the purchase as i was convinced it would only get better.
Anyhow, i would advise those that are thinking of buying the Zetec S 180 petrol to think hard about it and whether you could live with a real life mpg of an mpg sp low!!
For anyone that is interested, i'm not the only one in this situation and you can read abit more by clicking on the below link.
http://www.talkford....10-or-16-focus/

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zetec s, ecoboost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users