2 replies to this topic

#1 Jassyblue

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Jacquie
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2002

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hi, just changed from a clio to a fiesta. All my other cars have only required me to top up the coolant with water if it got a little low. My clio dictated that I had to top up with a special 'coolant' mixture. Can I top up my Fiesta with water, allowing for the fact that there has to be a certain amount of antifreeze? Sorry, this is an absolute idiot here!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi there,

Not a stupid question so don't worry :)

I personally wouldn't top up with just water as you can't be 100% sure whether someone has been doing so for the last 10k miles for example. The antifreeze also stops the engine block (cast iron) from corrosion, which is (bar the fact that in extreme climates water freezes) probably one of the worst things about topping up with just water.

You'd be best to buy some antifreeze and mix this with water when topping up, as far as the mixture we're coming up to the summer so no need to go over the top, go for 30/70 meaning 30part antifreeze and 70part water.

I think you can buy readymixed coolant but it would probably be more expensive and is honestly really easy as it will explain how to mix it on the bottle.

Hope that helps a little bit,

#3 stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 6,091 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

normally mixing them 50/50 is all you need to do. that does for summer and winter.

if you need to top up regularly you have a leak though

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users