28 replies to this topic

#16 thfcmad

thfcmad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for all your replies so far.

What i dont get though is that the advertised MPG is 32. Now i know this is in a perfect situation but it is based on the engine running from cold and only covering about 2 miles - eg a short journey like i do. I dont understand therefore why it isnt getting at least 25-28mpg or something closer to its advertised mpg??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 w2575

w2575

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2
Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

If car manufacturers advertised actual figures no one would want to buy their cars, remember all figures and facts are based on a rolling road not actually on real roads

#18 dalester

dalester

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Have you contacted the manufacturer yet?

#19 thfcmad

thfcmad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

yes, they reckon i should be getting around 30mpg!

#20 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

I dont understand why you're not just pursuing it with Ford if you're so sure theres a problem. People have given good reasons why you are getting the mileage you are yet you don't accept it. Ford have said theres no faults logged. There is no way on earth a 1.6 focus that does 3-4 miles at 9mph is going to get 30mpg. The reasons are as stated, just accept it. To be brutally honest if you're doing stop start to a max of 9mph for 3-4 miles you'd probably be quicker walking. At the end of the day all we can do is give advice. Even another owner has said he gets similar returns on similar journeys. If you dont like what you're hearing then my friend all you can do is keep getting onto Ford about it. We can advise but we cant magically make your car get better economy.

#21 thfcmad

thfcmad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

Sierrayankee, i think you have misinterpreted my questioning as not accepting your answers. That is most certainly not the case. I dont know alot about cars and im just trying to get everything clear in my head so i fully understand how it is that my new car is less economical than my old car! Im sure you can appreciate its difficult when you are being told something by one person and somehting different by another!

Anyway, i didn't mean any offence to anyone and appreciate all the answers that have been left!

#22 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

You dont need to understand HOW its less economical than your old car. You do however need to ACCEPT that it is and that nothing is wrong its just the way of the world. You cant really compare two different makes of car let alone two focuses. No two cars are the same due to slight manufacturing differences and tolerances in manufactured parts. As you are comparing a focus to a pug there is no comparison. They are 2 totally different cars. Ones a "hot hatch" the others a "family car". The pugs smaller, lighter cos theres no computers associated electronics on board.

Something else not yet mentioned is the cars only done 8000 miles. Whilst its possibly starting to loosen up a little it could take a few thou more miles before the engines fully loosened up. Its not even reached its first 12,500 mile service point yet (though I sure hope it has been serviced every year or that could point to a problem).

Finally as I said earlier DO NOT take into account anything the computer is telling you. They are notoriously inaccurate. The best way to test economy is brim the tank with fuel. Do 100 miles of travelling and then brim it again. You then have the two figures you need to accurately work out miles per gallon. Take the miles covered and divide it by the number of litres of fuel you bought to re-brim it then multiply that figure by 4.55. That will give you a more accurate mpg for your car.

Sorry for appearing arsey, its just when you've told someone the same thing 4 or 5 times and still they ask the same question it does get a little draining. Top and bottom there are many reasons why your cars less economical than your old one. The main one being because its a Ford and they arent the most economical cars on the road, but God they are so much fun.

#23 thfcmad

thfcmad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Sierrayankee. Sorry for asking the same question so many times, as i said, was just trying to understand. I appreciate your time and patience and will now just accept that i dont have a very economical car!!

#24 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Daft as it sounds mate the 1.8 is as economical as the 1.6. On some runs it might even be more economical.

#25 thfcmad

thfcmad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am deeply missing the power of my 2 litre so im not sure how much longer i will keep this. May well end up getting a 1.8 if its likely to deliver the same mpg!!

#26 Purdy fpv

Purdy fpv

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Ford Model: Puma 1.7 VCT

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hi
The 32 mpg reading that Ford give will be for a combined cycle. This means an average of town and motorway driving. At the average engine temp.
Also the Focus is larger and heavier than your Peugeot. Weight makes a big difference to fuel consumption.
Ways to save fuel.
1. take out any Items in the car that you don't need to save weight.
2.Turn off you air con. Fords mpg figure is with the air con off as this uses a sh*t load of fuel!!!!
3. back of the rev's When your stuck in traffic use your handbrake. don't sit there revving the engine.
4. Anticipate the traffic ahead. plan your driving try to think 2 or 3 steps ahead to save being on the brakes all the time. As braking wasts a sh*t load of fuel.
5.keep to the sped limit. Yep you guessed it speeding wasts fuel!!!!!!

#27 Purdy fpv

Purdy fpv

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Daft as it sounds mate the 1.8 is as economical as the 1.6. On some runs it might even be more economical.

If you are thinking 1.8 get a diesel. That will be even better on fuel.

#28 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

If you are thinking 1.8 get a diesel. That will be even better on fuel.

Owning a diesel these days, with higher servicing costs than petrols and upto 10p a litre more for diesel at the pumps, is no longer viable unless you do near 20,000 miles a year. As he states he does under 10 miles round trip to work I doubt very much he'll be anywhere near 20,000 miles a year. That in mind go for the 1.8 petrol, bit more power than a diesel too though much less torques -_-

#29 Purdy fpv

Purdy fpv

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

SierraYankee99 has a point there. I had forgot about the extra servicing costs.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users