Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Dimmer Switch

Victorthevan

Brand new Focus Titanuim X - the instruments and dashboard are very bright but using the +/- switches to the right of the lights rotary switch dont seem to do anything, what am I doing wrong?

the clocks illuminate during the day aswell as when the driving lights are switched on, but the instrument cluster brightness cant be adjusted unless the driving lights are switch on too,

Lenny,

Thanks but that's when I'm using the +/- adjustment, when the headlinghts are on. Is there another setting somewhere else that's overriding this or is it linked to the daylight sensor? I was trying this in the dark but in the driveway where there's streetlighting.

The auto sensor shouldnt affect the function of the dimmer.. Is the dimmer fused? if so ill check there

all the dimmer switch is, is a variable resistor. maybe this has blown ie duff switch.

The car should be under warranty, if it's a 2012, book it into Ford. I think it's unlikely to be the dimmer control because if that fails you are not going to have any dash lights, I would go for a dodgy connection in the loom, let Ford sort it out. Just make sure you are adjusting the dash dimmer control and not the headlamp height control, they are very close to each other and look very similar.

Stormin,

the two butttons are on the right of the rotary knob for the lights and have a picture of a tachometer dial with needle

Nick

I find that if you press the button and release it eg push, release, push, release, push................ then this works and you will see the dash lights dim.

You can dim the lights until they are hardly visible. The very bright lights can be a strain on the eyes especially at night or in poor visibility.

Paul,

thanks, I got it sorted last night and concur with what you say, the buttons need a quick jab, then wait a second, then jab again etc. The thing was what I thought was bright was actually the dimmest setting! So the car's like Blackpool illuminations at night, oh well. Could have done with all the illumination a lot dimmer.

I also find the two message displays very bright in the daytime and quite offputting, as well as a shiny dashboard reflecting in the windscreen.

That said, good car though (and why doesnt the fuel filler cap lock?!)

I also find that pressing the button and holding it works, but it's with more of a fade than an instant change. It is fairly bright at night anyway but you do get used to it!

(and why doesnt the fuel filler cap lock?!)

That'll be due to the Easy Fuel system... the neck of the filler only opens when you put the fuel nozzle in, it sort of senses the correct fuel nozzle is about to go in. Although you can open the flap, I haven't heard of any security issues.

That'll be due to the Easy Fuel system... the neck of the filler only opens when you put the fuel nozzle in, it sort of senses the correct fuel nozzle is about to go in. Although you can open the flap, I haven't heard of any security issues.

Can tell you a funny story about that. Was working in Manchester and stopped at a petrol station to get a sandwich. Went inside, got lunch, came out and was about to get in car when all hell broke loose.

A guy at the pump opposite with a brand spanking Mondeo was throwing a right tantrum - "I can't effin believe it" he was shouting. Next he went to a security guard on the front door and was shouting that he'd only just pulled up and not had his back turned long and someone had nicked his fuel cap !! He was insisting to see the CCTV footage to see who had taken his filler cap.

I watched for a couple of minutes and then got in my car without having the heart to tell him about the Ford EasyFuel system. Honestly I did this to save his embarrassment !! ;)

So this EasyFuel isnt EasySteal then? There's protection to prevent siphoning? and what's to stop something bad being put into the fuel tank?

Can the car be misfueled with petrol? I thought a petrol nozzle was smaller than diesel.

So this EasyFuel isnt EasySteal then? There's protection to prevent siphoning? and what's to stop something bad being put into the fuel tank?

Can the car be misfueled with petrol? I thought a petrol nozzle was smaller than diesel.

Somthing to do with nozzle size http://www.theengineer.co.uk/news/easy-fuel-filling/306609.article This website explains. Although it explains it has a misfuel function it doesn't explain how a diesel Ford isn't fooled into taking a petrol nozzlwe

Somthing to do with nozzle size http://www.theengine.../306609.article This website explains. Although it explains it has a misfuel function it doesn't explain how a diesel Ford isn't fooled into taking a petrol nozzlwe

Somthing to do with nozzle size http://www.theengine.../306609.article This website explains. Although it explains it has a misfuel function it doesn't explain how a diesel Ford isn't fooled into taking a petrol nozzlwe

I think the fuel nozzle acts the same way a key in a lock works, i.e., too big the flap won,t open and the same if the nozzle is too small, only the correct size nozzle allows the flap to open.

surely any thief with half a brain will just attatch a hose to a fuel nozzle the metal end its easy done and they are easily available then it will allow the cap to open and hey presto 1 empty tank of fuel, given the fact they are prepared to shove a screwdriver in the tank and drain it due to high fuel prices.also wont a jerry can nozzle make it open?

Can tell you a funny story about that. Was working in Manchester and stopped at a petrol station to get a sandwich. Went inside, got lunch, came out and was about to get in car when all hell broke loose.

A guy at the pump opposite with a brand spanking Mondeo was throwing a right tantrum - "I can't effin believe it" he was shouting. Next he went to a security guard on the front door and was shouting that he'd only just pulled up and not had his back turned long and someone had nicked his fuel cap !! He was insisting to see the CCTV footage to see who had taken his filler cap.

I watched for a couple of minutes and then got in my car without having the heart to tell him about the Ford EasyFuel system. Honestly I did this to save his embarrassment !! ;)

:P i did ask if it was normal when buying my car as i was used to having to pull a cap off. but this makes filling up so much easier!!

Other day I filled up but did the usual lock of the car with my keys, nice to see it locked my fuel cap and stopped me putting the nozel in. knew instantly why but its nice to know it locks that off.

and why do I appear to have what looks like a white plastic funnel in the boot where the spare wheel is, in a sealed plastic bag? Is it something to do with the fuel filler?

It's for use when you want to fill from a petrol can or add additives.

+1

It's your easy fuel funnel.

Without it you won't be able to put anything in your fuel cap except for a forecourt pump nozzle.