Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2012 - Starting Problems

twallpips

Hi,

I recently purchased a 12 plate Ford Focus 1.6i Zetec S. Over the past two weeks, I have had starting issues. The car won't turn over, after a few attempts it will fire. The dealer has had it for about two and cannot diagnose the problem. It has had a software update, but no joy. Has anyone else had this issue???

I'd take the bugger back and kick up a fuss.

The car is not fit for purpose and therefore you are entitled to repair to your satisfaction or a replacement.

Agreed with Stoney it needs to go back to the dealer and you need to kick off a little bit as you wouldn't expect this on a brand new car. They've had your money the cheeky beggers, so the least they can do is sell you a product which works properly!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I recently purchased a 12 plate Ford Focus 1.6i Zetec S. Over the past two weeks, I have had starting issues. The car won't turn over, after a few attempts it will fire. The dealer has had it for about two and cannot diagnose the problem. It has had a software update, but no joy. Has anyone else had this issue???

Hello,

I'm from the netherlands and maybe i have the same problem just after a software update.

Sometimes the starmotor don't turn on will i'm starting with the key.

When i'm opening the door or i move the clutch pedal the motor is starting.( sounds weird but is true)

do you have the same problem?

The dealer can't find the problem because ther are no fault codes in the computer.

Hi

I would also kick up a fuss on this one....If you have had to return the vehicle on 3 occasions for the same fault then they have no option but to buy the vehicle back from you...Manufacturers/Dealers will try every trick in the book to prevent a buy back...they hate them with a passion.

They will state all sorts of rubbish in their T&C's...stand strong and point out that at the bottom of any T&C's they create it will state...and it has to legally "This does not effect your statutory rights"...your statutory rights as a consumer is they have to either "Repair" "Replace" or "Refund"...and the choice is yours not theirs...that is why it is best to make sure the car has been back to be repaired three times and they have failed to do so...in a court of law with you returning the car 3 times is showing that you have been patient and given opportunity with said Manufacturer/Dealer to get matter resolved.

Think to yourself, if it was a kettle that didn't boil the water or a phone that couldn't make calls you'd be slamming them onto the counter of the shops you bought them from pretty sharpish.

A car is no different, just because it's big doesn't change your statutory rights.

The key phrase is "Fit For Purpose".

They can give you all the guff they want, but they have to abide by the rules the same as, say, Carphone Warehouse or Comet.

Give them grief Phil, it's your rights.

Hi

With cars it is a little different than a kettle from curry's and I quote

"These are your statutory consumer rights. If any of them are breached you are within your rights to go back to the seller, who will then be legally required to remedy the situation in a number of different ways, depending on your situation and the nature of the complaint. The law requires you to act reasonably too, so if the problem is minor and can be repaired easily, within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience, then the dealer can insist on a repair as a first option. But remember that this will not stop you from taking it back if the repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with the car.

If the car cannot be repaired, if the repair is unsatisfactory, or takes an unreasonable length of time, your next option would be to have it replaced. If this is undesirable or impossible, then you can request a refund, although if some time has passed, you should be aware that any the refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the car since you took possession of it."

That is why I say if the car has been returned on 3 occasions with the same fault then you have acted with reason...they wont have a leg to stand on.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2012 ford focus zetec s the one in my avatar and ive owned it from new it is ten mounths old it doesnt have same problem as yours but it over heated and blew up on me for no reason, It was fixed under warranty and their excuse was ''it must have been a faulty pipe or something'' WTF ! That is the first problem ive ever had with a ford and this is my 3rd brand new focus, Ive had an 06 zetec no problems ive had a 09 zetec no problems and i put big miles on that one and ive had this one and its the worst one ive had and to top it all of its starting to shutter when im taking off which probley means the clutch and flywheel is on its way out and theres only 9000 miles on it £21,000 down the tubes. Ive always drove fords but i think this will be my last :(