Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping Zetec Stereo For A Sony One

Rich.stone

Hi is it possible to swap the stereo and have the USB and everything like the sony one ???

If you already have USB, yes just swap the Sony fascia, screen & possibly CD player (although I think that part might be the same)

If not you will also require the USB module located underneath the glovebox, and an independent mechanic with Ford kit to activate that feature (I say independent because dealers won't usually touch it)

Will bluetooth and such connect easy to it? Considering doing this myself if I can source the set.

Will Bluetooth and such connect easy to it? Considering doing this myself if I can source the set.

Are you installing it from scratch? If so gingertom on here has done it & I activated it for him. Believe it was fairly straight forwards once you have the parts.

Are you installing it from scratch? If so gingertom on here has done it & I activated it for him. Believe it was fairly straight forwards once you have the parts.

I already have bluetooth and USB but with the standard console so would it be a case of just swapping them over and such? Standard one looks a bit bland in my opinion :P

I already have bluetooth and USB but with the standard console so would it be a case of just swapping them over and such? Standard one looks a bit bland in my opinion :P

Yes that should just be a case of swapping fascia & screen. I've swapped the screen on mine so it's the black & white Sony one, but with standard stereo, just trying to decide if I like it or not...

Don't think I'll swap the screen seeing the trip-computer is the same colour as what I have now, just want the nice black unit :P

How much are they off Ford, silly money I'm guessing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a titanium with bluetooth, USB/aux/iPod and voice. Will the Sony stereo work with this setup? Will I need anything programming? Do the radio's have codes?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

James

I have a titanium with Bluetooth, USB/aux/iPod and voice. Will the Sony stereo work with this setup?

Yes :)

Will I need anything programming?

No :)

Do the radio's have codes?

No :)

By the time you guys have done adding stuff to your cars that wont make any difference to residuals you will have spent enough to go along way to your next new car, I dont have the Sony radio in my fiesta but it still sounds Great. Just drive the damned thing! :blink:

By the time you guys have done adding stuff to your cars that wont make any difference to residuals you will have spent enough to go along way to your next new car, I dont have the Sony radio in my fiesta but it still sounds Great. Just drive the damned thing! :blink:

Since buying my car 20months ago I've spent in excess of 900 hours sat in it (yes I have a spreadsheet that estimates that!)

I, along with many others, like spending my money making it as enjoyable as possible ;)

• Like 3

Since buying my car 20months ago I've spent in excess of 900 hours sat in it (yes I have a spreadsheet that estimates that!)

I, along with many others, like spending my money making it as enjoyable as possible ;)

WOW Nathan thats over 1 1/2 hours every day, well at least you have alot of valuable experience that your sharing with others on here. We also have the same car and colour too, it's nice to know my logical mathematical approach and reasoning brings me to the same conclusion as your passion for this car has done in the fact its a brill car and great fun to own.

1 1/2 hours? easy life.

I spend up to 10 hours a day in and out of my work car, at least 4 days/nights a week.

i'm really glad that it was decided i could keep the stereo in it (usually removed to fit switches and other stuff).

Without a stereo i think i'd go nuts.

• Haha 1

I recently fitted a Sony DAB to my new fiesta, and it plugged straight in.. No cutting wires, no issues! I was surprised it was the same rectangular connector, yes i needed the differentt DAB aerial coax from the roof to the dash for DAB but it worked a treat even just on FM. Looked awesome too at night!

Since removed it now for other reasons though....

Yes that should just be a case of swapping fascia & screen. I've swapped the screen on mine so it's the black & white Sony one, but with standard stereo, just trying to decide if I like it or not...

So will the normal red colour multi line screen display work the same as the black and white display if the radio units are changed from say normal FM to a Sony with DAB?

Is it just a visual thing to match the Sony's, or a functional difference. Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Most likely you nead Nathan's magic ability with the Ford software to enable the ambient lighting, the radio is the controller but if the electronic are not told it's there the option to control it won't appear.

Most likely you nead Nathan's magic ability with the Ford software to enable the ambient lighting, the radio is the controller but if the electronic are not told it's there the option to control it won't appear.

Is that a software thing....? I looked in the radio "menu" as i was told it came under the heading, "ambient lights" but nothing, im upgrading the CD unit and face so wondered if that may say it being a better one. I plugged a Sony DAB into my fester while back and it plugged straight in no need to change connector loom etc, but the menu option was not there, maybe amongst all the wires on the plug is the all important wire to power the ambient lights, which im told you can get from ford parts..

So will the normal red colour multi line screen display work the same as the black and white display if the radio units are changed from say normal FM to a Sony with DAB?

Is it just a visual thing to match the Sony's, or a functional difference. Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Is that a software thing....? I looked in the radio "menu" as i was told it came under the heading, "ambient lights" but nothing, im upgrading the CD unit and face so wondered if that may say it being a better one. I plugged a Sony DAB into my fester while back and it plugged straight in no need to change connector loom etc, but the menu option was not there, maybe amongst all the wires on the plug is the all important wire to power the ambient lights, which im told you can get from ford parts..

Gavin's right I'm afraid - you need my magical ability to activate the feature on the car and unlock the menu for ambient lighting to work.

Gavin's right I'm afraid - you need my magical ability to activate the feature on the car and unlock the menu for ambient lighting to work.

I see, so your magical powers unlock the software, because i had a look at fuses etc, and like i said, all the plugs are there in the dash and centre console, and the 501 bulb holder underneath in foot well, where red led lights now sit nicely.

I see, so your magical powers unlock the software, because i had a look at fuses etc, and like i said, all the plugs are there in the dash and centre console, and the 501 bulb holder underneath in foot well, where red led lights now sit nicely.

Yup - the wiring is all there but will not receive a current until the GEM is instructed to.

Yup - the wiring is all there but will not receive a current until the GEM is instructed to.

So, i am guessing 'you' have to do this in person with a laptop connecting the GEM!!? Right so when is the next meet....lol. Pint o Beer or Cider.... lol.

As a complete aside the Sony may look better but it seems a lot worse if you use the phone in the car for anything business like. I occasionally have to dial in to teleconferences as I drive and you need the 8 digit passcode and the pin to connect, and frankly its a doddle on the standard stereo as it's a calculator type keypad, but looks to be a PITA on the sony...

• Like 1

As a complete aside the Sony may look better but it seems a lot worse if you use the phone in the car for anything business like. I occasionally have to dial in to teleconferences as I drive and you need the 8 digit passcode and the pin to connect, and frankly its a doddle on the standard stereo as it's a calculator type keypad, but looks to be a PITA on the sony...

The keys are all aligned on the Sony... and yes, grouped together on the standard ones.

iNath this may be one for you, iv got titanium with non dab sony what would need to be updates for dab and what sort of cost?