ST.....Seriously Tempting!

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Name: Torchwood_HK
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yes that should just be a case of swapping fascia & screen. I've swapped the screen on mine so it's the black & white Sony one, but with standard stereo, just trying to decide if I like it or not...

So will the normal red colour multi line screen display work the same as the black and white display if the radio units are changed from say normal FM to a Sony with DAB?

Is it just a visual thing to match the Sony's, or a functional difference. Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Most likely you nead Nathan's magic ability with the Ford software to enable the ambient lighting, the radio is the controller but if the electronic are not told it's there the option to control it won't appear.

#18 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Most likely you nead Nathan's magic ability with the Ford software to enable the ambient lighting, the radio is the controller but if the electronic are not told it's there the option to control it won't appear.

Is that a software thing....? I looked in the radio "menu" as i was told it came under the heading, "ambient lights" but nothing, im upgrading the CD unit and face so wondered if that may say it being a better one. I plugged a Sony DAB into my fester while back and it plugged straight in no need to change connector loom etc, but the menu option was not there, maybe amongst all the wires on the plug is the all important wire to power the ambient lights, which im told you can get from ford parts..

#19 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

So will the normal red colour multi line screen display work the same as the black and white display if the radio units are changed from say normal FM to a Sony with DAB?

Is it just a visual thing to match the Sony's, or a functional difference. Plus i am trying to sort out if the ambient lighting.. I have all the wires and plugs going to dash where strip goes and down by centre console, but no option on the radio! Is the radio the controller, or is there a separate relay and module? Any help would be great..

Is that a software thing....? I looked in the radio "menu" as i was told it came under the heading, "ambient lights" but nothing, im upgrading the CD unit and face so wondered if that may say it being a better one. I plugged a Sony DAB into my fester while back and it plugged straight in no need to change connector loom etc, but the menu option was not there, maybe amongst all the wires on the plug is the all important wire to power the ambient lights, which im told you can get from ford parts..

Gavin's right I'm afraid - you need my magical ability to activate the feature on the car and unlock the menu for ambient lighting to work.

#20 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Gavin's right I'm afraid - you need my magical ability to activate the feature on the car and unlock the menu for ambient lighting to work.

I see, so your magical powers unlock the software, because i had a look at fuses etc, and like i said, all the plugs are there in the dash and centre console, and the 501 bulb holder underneath in foot well, where red led lights now sit nicely.

#21 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

I see, so your magical powers unlock the software, because i had a look at fuses etc, and like i said, all the plugs are there in the dash and centre console, and the 501 bulb holder underneath in foot well, where red led lights now sit nicely.

Yup - the wiring is all there but will not receive a current until the GEM is instructed to.

#22 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yup - the wiring is all there but will not receive a current until the GEM is instructed to.

So, i am guessing 'you' have to do this in person with a laptop connecting the GEM!!? Right so when is the next meet....lol. Pint o Beer or Cider.... lol.

#23 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

As a complete aside the Sony may look better but it seems a lot worse if you use the phone in the car for anything business like. I occasionally have to dial in to teleconferences as I drive and you need the 8 digit passcode and the pin to connect, and frankly its a doddle on the standard stereo as it's a calculator type keypad, but looks to be a PITA on the sony...

#24 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

As a complete aside the Sony may look better but it seems a lot worse if you use the phone in the car for anything business like. I occasionally have to dial in to teleconferences as I drive and you need the 8 digit passcode and the pin to connect, and frankly its a doddle on the standard stereo as it's a calculator type keypad, but looks to be a PITA on the sony...

The keys are all aligned on the Sony... and yes, grouped together on the standard ones.

#25 antman99

antman99

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.6 TDCI

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

iNath this may be one for you, iv got titanium with non dab sony what would need to be updates for dab and what sort of cost?

#26 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

iNath this may be one for you, iv got titanium with non dab sony what would need to be updates for dab and what sort of cost?

Not sure on this one I'm afraid, at a guess 300/400 for the part from Ford.

#27 paddymoylan

paddymoylan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Patrick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2009

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi, I know this is impossible but here's hoping. I currently have a fiesta titanium with the standard screen and hu without Bluetooth and USB. I recently bought a Sony radio with cd player and sony screen. When I connected the screen it didn't work and the wiring at the back of my cd player has two connectors where as the Sony only has one (different sizes ). Also the Sony control panel is the only thing that works. Do I need to add the Bluetooth and usb module for this to work is there no hope for it. Cheers.

#28 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi, I know this is impossible but here's hoping. I currently have a fiesta titanium with the standard screen and hu without Bluetooth and USB. I recently bought a Sony radio with cd player and sony screen. When I connected the screen it didn't work and the wiring at the back of my cd player has two connectors where as the Sony only has one (different sizes ). Also the Sony control panel is the only thing that works. Do I need to add the Bluetooth and usb module for this to work is there no hope for it. Cheers.

If going from non-Bluetooth stereo to the Sony one as well as a different wiring loom you will also require the car to be reprogrammed by Ford or a mechanic with a Ford IDS. Dealers may refuse to do the work though or charge extortionate prices.

#29 paddymoylan

paddymoylan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Patrick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Do you reckon its do able or should i just give up hope lol I hate the small standard screen why ford would even sell it is beyond me, so i've purchased a bluetooth module off ebay if installing this and getting it activated will this enable me to install the blue sony radio screen as it wont work at the min, if not i might just give up and settle for that after market screen i've seen and do you know of any othr items/wires i might be mising out on. Also all i need now is the wiring so I can fit the sony cd player as there is two wires in mine where as this new one has just one and even the fm connector seems different (think it might have to do with DAB ?) but i don't even know where I would get the wiring looms or even the part no.

Update: here is what i have at the minute, i've just red online that the small standard screen can not be interchanged for the larger one so don't think im gonna have any luck but i suppose thats what happens if u buy second hand. I don't understand why ford has made it so impossible

Posted Image

#30 Tommy-mag

Tommy-mag

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta zetec s
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

What stereo did you have in it before hand because I have a mk6.5 and it's got the standard 6000CD model in but I was looking at the Sony ones because they look so much better

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users