Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uk Ford Fusion Spoiler

DEDAVIES

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A UK FORD FUSION AND ORDERED A ROOF SPOILER WHICH HAS YET TO ARRIVE. HAS ANYBODY FITTED ONE, IF SO ANY PROBLEMS AND DO YOU NEED ANY GASKETS OR SEALANT.

I HAVE NOW FIXED THE SPOILER TO THE FORD FUSION, IT IS FIXED USING 2 BOLTS AND A FOAM TAPE. ALL LOOKS GOOD, BUT IT IS ONLY WHEN YOU READ THE FITTING INSTRUCTIONS THAT IT TELLS YOU THE FOAM FIXING KIT IS ANOTHER ITEM WHICH HAD TO BE ORDERED AT A COST OF €25 FROM GERMANY, THERE WAS NOT ONE KIT IN SPAIN, HENCE A 3 WEEK DELAY.

I just fitted a genuine 3dr spoiler to my mk6 Fiesta.

I spent a lot of time finding out how this spoiler is fitted, and what confused me is why they had bolts fitted. There are two bolts that go either end of the spoiler, but they don't screw into anything, there's not nut on the inside of the boot. I clarified this with two people who had removed factory fitted spoilers that are the same size as mine. I can only think that the bolts are there as guides so it's easier to fit at the factory - otherwise you have to do what I did, which is to mark out where it sits using masking tape. I'm curtain that the bolts would be need for the larger ST spoiler.

So the bolts don't actually hold the spoiler to the boot, it's only double sided sticky foam tape, which is what Ford use to fit these. I was a bit sceptical about this fixing method until I came across this thread where they use double sided foam.

I bought my spoiler off eBay, which was blue and got resprayed for £120. The body shop fitted the foam tape for me, but I did look into buying it before hand - it was under £10 on eBay and made by Scotch/M3.

I thoroughly cleaned the area the spoiler was sticking to and made sure it was dry. Then I placed the spoiler on the car before sticking and got the missus to mark the edges of the spoiler using the masking tape. You've got to get it right first time - and I guess that's why lining up bolts with holes is so much easier.

I have read a few forums of people who use Tiger Seal to fit these, which I believe is strong enough to hold, but it's just the possibility of putting too much sealant on and when you press it down is oozes around the edges - too messy. Plus you'd have to hold it while it sets, whereas the foam held instantly.

gallery_19961_981_84324.jpg

If the spoilers are only held on with a type of double-sided sticky tape, how would it fair if you attached a cycle rack and 2 bikes, and with the straps coming over the top of the spoiler; would it hold?

Very good point Stormin. I have read that cycle racks aren't advisable for cars with spoilers, I guess it all depends of the rack and whether there's a lot of downwards pressure from the top straps. Most of the pressure on my old cycle rack went onto the bumper. If I were going to use a cycle rack then I defiantly have the spoiler bolted, not just in the ends of the spoiler but the centre too - I still wouldn't be too happy about the possibility of stress on the bolts, pulling on the sheet metal of the boot lid... it's not exactly thick/strong metal.

Very good point Stormin. I have read that cycle racks aren't advisable for cars with spoilers, I guess it all depends of the rack and whether there's a lot of downwards pressure from the top straps. Most of the pressure on my old cycle rack went onto the bumper. If I were going to use a cycle rack then I defiantly have the spoiler bolted, not just in the ends of the spoiler but the centre too - I still wouldn't be too happy about the possibility of stress on the bolts, pulling on the sheet metal of the boot lid... it's not exactly thick/strong metal.

My 2008 Focus Estate doesn’t have a spoiler and I use a cycle rack to carry 2 bikes, but anybody thinking of using the strap type bike rack on a car with a spoiler, should be aware that the spoiler is only stuck on.

I've been monitoring my spoiler since fitting it almost two days ago - the car's been used a few times and the spoiler held at 70mph. I wasn't too pleased this morning when I noticed the spoiler wasn't fully stuck down on either end. I'm not too confident about this double sided foam now. To be honest, after the respray I looked at the tape they'd put on and thought it didn't look thick enough, it must be about 1mm. When I bought my spoiler off eBay the foam was still on it, and it did seem much thicker. I've looked at a factory fitted spoiler and you can see the foam in between the spoiler a boot surface, whereas mine you can't because it's that thin.

*12hrs later after writing the above*

I've taken the spoiler off as it wasn't sticking fully, kept coming away from the boot surface. It didn't take much effort to pull off once I got my fingers under it - I'm glad I took it off rather than it self.

I don't know what adhesive foam Ford use, but it's high quality and can't be cheap - I've seen some 3M tapes that cost £70 a roll.

Getting the foam off the spoiler wasn't as easy, it was stuck really well and took ages to pick off - it shows that it wasn't fully making contact with the car where the foam sits in a recess, but I can't find adhesive foam that's more than 1mm thick.

Well, if I put it back on it will be bolted and stuck with thicker (2mm) foam - I've imagined it coming off on the motorway and going through someone's windscreen, and the possible consequences scares me!

• 1 month later...

It's now bolted and stuck with double sided adhesive foam - here's how did it:

Re-taping

gallery_19961_981_35761.jpg

Because I'd used the previous tape (blue in top picture) I had to pick it off and start again. I spent some time shopping for the right tape, but considering I'm using bolts I'm not too worried about its adhesive strength.

I found this 12mm wide x 1mm thick "automotive double sided foam tape" on eBay for less than £5. I emailed the seller and they confirmed that this tape is suitable.

Marking The Hole

gallery_19961_981_28273.jpg

There're a few ways of marking the holes, but I found this way easy enough. I'll try to explain. The paper was stuck to the spoiler before being stuck to the car.

Cut two bits of paper, roughly the same size. Use a hole punch for the holes. Put a strip of masking tape on one side of paper. Line the paper hole up with where the bolt sticks out on the spoiler. Then stick the tape down to the bottom of the spoiler.

Place the spoiler on the car with the paper in between. Position the spoiler where it seems to fit snug to the car, use the boot break light to centre it to the car. Get help with sticking the exposed paper to the car. Once stuck, get help unpicking the tape from the spoiler. Now remove the spoiler and use a pen to mark the holes.

It's slightly nerve-racking that you've got to get these holes right first time, so I double checked the position of my markings by measuring the distance from the hole to the edge of the boot frame, top and sides.

Hole Making

gallery_19961_981_66377.jpg

I started the hole by tapping a nail to help prevent the drill slipping. Then used a smaller bit before going all the way through with a 6mm bit. I've read that you can damage the surrounding paint if it gets too hot, but I kept the drill on the slowest speed and didn't see a problem.

The larger Inner Hole

gallery_19961_981_4512.jpg

I found this part the trickiest, trying to line up and mark a hole on curved metal. Using a strong long nail, place it through the top hole and hammer it hard enough to make a dimple on the inside. It's difficult getting the nail to dig on metal at an angle, but if you sharpen the point it will work. I could just post the measurements now I've done it, but not right now.

I used this "taper drill bit" to make the 16mm holes, it's supposed to be easier for drilling metal and reduces friction/heat. I found it easy enough to use, though you either have to mark out 16mm on the metal or keep stopping to measure the hole.

Done

gallery_19961_981_45186.jpg

After finishing the holes I painted the bare metal with Hammerite... just in case it rusts! To finish it off I bought these 16mm blanking grommets from the almighty eBay for just over a £1, which makes it look quite tidy.

The Bolts

gallery_19961_981_35301.jpg

This bolt should be with every factory fitted spoiler (not sure about the ST spoilers), the problem I've found is that don't have a nut attached. I came across a great company (westfieldfasteners.co.uk) where you can buy nuts/washer in any quantity and not have to spend a small fortune on multi-packs. This 6mm (M6) bolt is obviously unique, so not any old bolt will work.

Previous Posts

gallery_19961_981_83311.jpg

Before bolting this spoiler I did try just using the foam tape (read older posts), but had problems getting it to stick, and this is why:

The spoiler was second hand with foam still attached and the body shop said they had the tools to get the stuff off. I don't know what these tools were but they made an absolute mess of the plastic surface (left). The right picture is my attempt at spraying (another spoiler), as you can see I removed the foam with a smooth surface, without special tools.

This is why the spoiler wouldn't stick well, because the spoiler and foam surface was so uneven it wasn't making full contact. Some groves are so deep that the foam doesn't touch the car.

Well that's it, job done.

I just googled ST spoiler fixings and was very surprised to read that it's also fixed with just double sided tape. I can't believe Ford haven't secured a spoiler that size with bolts - not only would it stay on, it wouldn't get stolen either!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club