bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have a diesel 1.6 2006 with 53k on the clock and a fsh. Got a warning light with the exclamation mark and car went into limp mode.Little later the engine management light came on.
Went to the garage and they said codes saying dpf is clogged. Oh God I thought. I know a lot about the dreaded DPF due to posters on this forum. They did a forced regeneration by revving the car hard for 15 minutes and the lights went out and car was back to normal.
Any suggestions from you in the knowers would be great about how to avoid an early dpf replacement? The cars only done 53k for crying out loud. The smoke that came out during the forced regen was pretty bad, but they said its good because its unblocking the dpf.
I was told to blast car on motorway every so often to keep dpf clear. I must admit i do 95% of short journeys and should have avoided the diesel. Oh well,ya live and learn.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

i wouldnt imagine reving the car stationary for 15 mins at full pelt does the engine much goo.take it down the motorway for 20mins each fortnite a constant 50mph yep youll use diesel and its a hassle but you have no option you could do it every month if its easier.
an expert on 5th gear said normal town driving wont cause a regen as each time u start and stop at lights or for traffic the computer showed the regen stops as you move off and get the regen going again it restarts so it has to be a constant speed.

some other manufacturer owners have complained of the regen continuing after the engines switchd off causing battery drain at least you dont have that issue.

#3 STEADS

STEADS

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sinspeed are based in sheffeild go and see how much they would charge you to get rid of it completly . you will notice a vast difference in the car its self.

#4 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

A bit wary of getting rid of dpf. Would invalidate mot and bring up all sorts of other problems. Think the hassle of getting rid would outweigh renewing it.

#5 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Might just be worth having a chat with them see what the pros and cons are i,ve got an mt dpf box on mine at the moment just waiting for funds to have the ecu done .

#6 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I will definitely be seeing if there is a better option. But the legal side of it all might be too big. Getting car remapped and then having car reevaluated.

#7 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

I have a diesel 1.6 2006 with 53k on the clock and a fsh. Got a warning light with the exclamation mark and car went into limp mode.Little later the engine management light came on.
Went to the garage and they said codes saying dpf is clogged. Oh God I thought. I know a lot about the dreaded DPF due to posters on this forum. They did a forced regeneration by revving the car hard for 15 minutes and the lights went out and car was back to normal.
Any suggestions from you in the knowers would be great about how to avoid an early dpf replacement? The cars only done 53k for crying out loud. The smoke that came out during the forced regen was pretty bad, but they said its good because its unblocking the dpf.
I was told to blast car on motorway every so often to keep dpf clear. I must admit i do 95% of short journeys and should have avoided the diesel. Oh well,ya live and learn.

In an ideal world, dealers should have asked you your driving style/conditions and advised you to take a petrol. BUT most dealers just want a sale so aren't bothered to do that. I have a 2003 Fiesta diesel that I'd love to change but only done 48k in 9 years. Would love another one (1.4Tdci new shape) but won't change it because of DPF's and 1.25 petrol has crap economy.

#8 leftathome

leftathome

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0dtci Ghia estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

This is a real pain with the new type diesels.The wife`s car is an Xtrail with DPF.If you tend to do shorter journeys try using BP ultimate or the Shell equivalent. I know it is more expensive but it seems to help with delaying the dreaded management light coming on and the `burn off ` is more regular.

#9 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

Is there a way to tell if the car is doing a DPF regen on the display or how you can tell if it completes a regen?

#10 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I noticed my car doing a regen on the motorway once. I could smell a metal type burning and also the engine sounded slightly different with a few smoke plumes coming out the exhaust.

#11 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

My minds been put at rest concerning this issue. Woman at work owns a 2009 golf diesel.She had same problem as me after owning the car for a year from new. It was covered under the warranty,but they told her to get car on motorway at least once a month. Then another guy heard our conversation who happens to own a new Audi diesel.After 3 months he got the same problem and was told to take car for a blast on motorway. Garages reporting more and more problems with these pathetic Dpf's. Whoever thought of these things want shooting.

#12 james_60

james_60

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

The dpf is a soot catcher its a load of rubbish for us drivers but apparently good for the environment.

The only thing is it releases the soot so whats the environmental impact then this happens.

Dirty Polluting Filters

Jamie

#13 Simon098

Simon098

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Simon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2 (56 Plate) 1.8 TDCi
  • Year: 2007

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

One thing I would say is, read the manual. The Ford manual will tell you that you need to run the car above 2000 or 2500 revs (I can't remember the exact value for roughly 15 mins every 1000 miles or so if I remember correctly, this burns all the crap stored in the DPF.

#14 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yeah I read 2200rpm would help burn the deposits in the filter. I took car for a spin on the M1 Saturday. 30 mins south and back again, all because of this pathetic piece of crap called a DPF. Not heard one good thing said about this rubbish yet. More and more diesel owners are starting to learn about these problems as time goes on.
The car started acting like it had kangaroo juice in it yesterday. The accelerator not being responsive at times. I hope this forced regen hasn't brought up other problems now. I could !Removed! bang my head against a wall(or DPF).

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

sounds like the dpf again

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users