Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bloomin Dpf Regeneration

bottletree

I have a diesel 1.6 2006 with 53k on the clock and a fsh. Got a warning light with the exclamation mark and car went into limp mode.Little later the engine management light came on.

Went to the garage and they said codes saying dpf is clogged. Oh God I thought. I know a lot about the dreaded DPF due to posters on this forum. They did a forced regeneration by revving the car hard for 15 minutes and the lights went out and car was back to normal.

Any suggestions from you in the knowers would be great about how to avoid an early dpf replacement? The cars only done 53k for crying out loud. The smoke that came out during the forced regen was pretty bad, but they said its good because its unblocking the dpf.

I was told to blast car on motorway every so often to keep dpf clear. I must admit i do 95% of short journeys and should have avoided the diesel. Oh well,ya live and learn.

i wouldnt imagine reving the car stationary for 15 mins at full pelt does the engine much goo.take it down the motorway for 20mins each fortnite a constant 50mph yep youll use diesel and its a hassle but you have no option you could do it every month if its easier.

an expert on 5th gear said normal town driving wont cause a regen as each time u start and stop at lights or for traffic the computer showed the regen stops as you move off and get the regen going again it restarts so it has to be a constant speed.

some other manufacturer owners have complained of the regen continuing after the engines switchd off causing battery drain at least you dont have that issue.

Sinspeed are based in sheffeild go and see how much they would charge you to get rid of it completly . you will notice a vast difference in the car its self.

A bit wary of getting rid of dpf. Would invalidate mot and bring up all sorts of other problems. Think the hassle of getting rid would outweigh renewing it.

Might just be worth having a chat with them see what the pros and cons are i,ve got an mt dpf box on mine at the moment just waiting for funds to have the ecu done .

I will definitely be seeing if there is a better option. But the legal side of it all might be too big. Getting car remapped and then having car reevaluated.

I have a diesel 1.6 2006 with 53k on the clock and a fsh. Got a warning light with the exclamation mark and car went into limp mode.Little later the engine management light came on.

Went to the garage and they said codes saying dpf is clogged. Oh God I thought. I know a lot about the dreaded DPF due to posters on this forum. They did a forced regeneration by revving the car hard for 15 minutes and the lights went out and car was back to normal.

Any suggestions from you in the knowers would be great about how to avoid an early dpf replacement? The cars only done 53k for crying out loud. The smoke that came out during the forced regen was pretty bad, but they said its good because its unblocking the dpf.

I was told to blast car on motorway every so often to keep dpf clear. I must admit i do 95% of short journeys and should have avoided the diesel. Oh well,ya live and learn.

In an ideal world, dealers should have asked you your driving style/conditions and advised you to take a petrol. BUT most dealers just want a sale so aren't bothered to do that. I have a 2003 Fiesta diesel that I'd love to change but only done 48k in 9 years. Would love another one (1.4Tdci new shape) but won't change it because of DPF's and 1.25 petrol has crap economy.

This is a real pain with the new type diesels.The wife`s car is an Xtrail with DPF.If you tend to do shorter journeys try using BP ultimate or the Shell equivalent. I know it is more expensive but it seems to help with delaying the dreaded management light coming on and the `burn off ` is more regular.

Is there a way to tell if the car is doing a DPF regen on the display or how you can tell if it completes a regen?

I noticed my car doing a regen on the motorway once. I could smell a metal type burning and also the engine sounded slightly different with a few smoke plumes coming out the exhaust.

My minds been put at rest concerning this issue. Woman at work owns a 2009 golf diesel.She had same problem as me after owning the car for a year from new. It was covered under the warranty,but they told her to get car on motorway at least once a month. Then another guy heard our conversation who happens to own a new Audi diesel.After 3 months he got the same problem and was told to take car for a blast on motorway. Garages reporting more and more problems with these pathetic Dpf's. Whoever thought of these things want shooting.

The dpf is a soot catcher its a load of rubbish for us drivers but apparently good for the environment.

The only thing is it releases the soot so whats the environmental impact then this happens.

Dirty Polluting Filters

Jamie

One thing I would say is, read the manual. The Ford manual will tell you that you need to run the car above 2000 or 2500 revs (I can't remember the exact value for roughly 15 mins every 1000 miles or so if I remember correctly, this burns all the crap stored in the DPF.

Yeah I read 2200rpm would help burn the deposits in the filter. I took car for a spin on the M1 Saturday. 30 mins south and back again, all because of this pathetic piece of crap called a DPF. Not heard one good thing said about this rubbish yet. More and more diesel owners are starting to learn about these problems as time goes on.

The car started acting like it had kangaroo juice in it yesterday. The accelerator not being responsive at times. I hope this forced regen hasn't brought up other problems now. I could !Removed! bang my head against a wall(or DPF).

Phew, that was close, 2 months ago I came very close to buying a diesel, not having ever heard of a DPF, luckily the garage advised me to get a petrol as I did a lot of short journeys.

I think in future sales if the sales person does not tell you about the DPF and you learn later on that your driving i.e. is short journeys and the dpf causes massive problems you should be able to sue the @rses of these people. Its like selling a house and not telling the buyer the house is on top of an old mine shaft.

i,m sending my ecu off this week to be dpf deleted already had filter removed i will keep all updated to how it goes £250 from ecuflash in sheffeild (life time gaurentee) so we will see mot not due till october so wont be able to let anyone know how that fairs till then but as for mpg dash lights codes limp mode general running i,ll keep you all updated

Hi there, this sounds like an issue i have with my 2012, 1.6 tdci. Most of my driving i around the City. When it does get out on the motorway at between 70 and 80 the engine seems to cut out. My friend says it feels like an automatic changing gear!! What do you think it could be?? Been back to fords twice now with less than 2000 miles on the clock. First time it had the software updated and the second time no fault was found! The problem is still there! Any ideas?

Not certain on Ford 06 but there are other sensors that a decent technican needs to check are working but it sounds like you will chase it if you are doing short journeys .I was a service Manager for and Audi dealer in West London a few years ago when the 06 07 first came out and the salesman didnt know what they were selling.As the customer crawled through centralLondon it clogged them up.

I got involved in helping customers basically reject the vehicle as it didnt suit their driving style and buy a pertol !!!

A bit later Audi brought out the comman Rail and this regens on idle as long as exhaust temp is up to 350-400 degrees I think it was and this made a huge difference.Yes the early DPFs need around 2200 revs for a certain time but this gets longer the more soot builds up .Sorry to say bit the bullet and change the car or your journey the problem will not go away otherwise regards Paul

actualy if people read the ford brochures it does state that diesels are not suitable for short journeys and low mileage and that if buying the diesel it requires to be driven down the motorway for 20mins once a month.it comes down to doing youre homework a lot of the salesmen dont have a clue.

Hi,

That's true, but driving down the motorway for 20 minutes once a month will not help.

On my motorway trips, in 6th gear, around 65MPH, the exhaust temp does not go high enough.

So the motorway trips need to be done in a lower gear (5th) to increase the revs and the temp of the exhaust.

Of course the brochure and sales people do not mention this.

al

As this thread in part it talking about right car for your driving style and requirements.

Here's my latest fuel consumption survey, 1.6 Petrol 99bhp:

Just done a round trip visiting friends up in the Northern Lakes part of Cumbria, 37 miles of A65 [which has few safe overtaking opportunities] so just going with the flow of the traffic. And I got 50mpg out of it just prior to joining the M6 for another 22 miles. Followed by 6 miles of A6 and 4 miles of county lanes. And the same route on the return journey. The dashboard readout read: Average Mph 43.0, Mpg 45.0, just goes to show it's that bit of the journey down the motorway that brings the overall mpg down.

And I was not hammering it, as the Tom Tom indicated 66/67 mph on average, though the speedo was indicating 69/70. This is because as most peeps know, the law states the speedo cannot under read the actual speed. Otherwise there would be law suits a plenty arguing that it was the car manufacturers liability, because you were caught speeding.

Anyway as I only do low annual mileage, the uncomplicated petrol variant is the right car for me. Ok I'd like the torque of a diesel, the lower fuel tax, the better mpg. But if you ain't doing the miles needed to make the savings needed to stump up for the problems you can encounter running a motor with a renewable DPF, then it ain't worth the hassle.

As the old saying goes................It's Horses For Courses

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just to share my DPF experience (or lack of!). I haved owned a 58 reg 1.6 TDCi DPF Focus for almost a year, and am on track for doing 10,000 miles. I do mainly short journeys, five miles each way to/from work, and go on the motorway at least once, often two or three times a month, for journeys of at least 30 mins, and often from Rochdale to Barnsley (around 50 miles/1 hour of motorway). I try to make sure I drive sensibly on short journeys; dropping down gear as soon as the engine feels laboured, not letting it drop below 1,500 RPM. Obviously on the motorway I'm in 5th doing 70+, so over 2,000 RPM.

I realise it's relatively early days yet, but I've not had a single problem with the DPF (or indeed the car itself). I'm sure many people would say that my driving needs don't warrant a diesel, but I love the low tax, power and torque that it offers, and with that in mind, I feel that 10k/year is justifiable. I also just prefer the way that diesels drive, and always have done really.

I read these DPF horror stories and hope that they never affect me! And yes, I do plan on getting rid of the car before the 75K replacement!

I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this; have I just been lucky and am I likely to be caught out soon, or do my frequent motorway trips and DPF-friendly town driving really make all the difference?

Jon

• Like 1

youre just lucky so far after reading the ford brochure again it does state to drive on the motorway 1 gear below what you would normaly drive so 5 instead of 6 4 instead of 5.

i know of 5 people with dpf issues 1 of thems a focus and the problems started after 16 months 14k miles so expect to be bitten soon ignore the 75k some dpf have required replacement far earlier some later 35k miles ive heard on some.

its not just ford its all makes nissan have had major issues renault pugeot citroen bmw saab and manufacturers have slid down the reliability index because of this.