Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Facelift - Retrofitting Bi Xenon Headlights

Haz93

Thanks guys :) has taken a while but defo worth it.

Did you notice the headlights seem a bit low when you put yours on??

Have you got any levelling on them, auto or manual??

Looks good! I was gonna ask for a picture of your headlight loom connector, to see if I have the required wiring, but I think yours will be different being a 2.5.

Anyone done this on a mk2?

I thought they seemed low but got a mechanic to set them properly and he set they were off by very little. I don't have any levelling adjustment on them at all

by the picture of the light on the house they look very low compared to standard it could be the way the pictures been taken but they dont look like they light much up

Looks good! I was gonna ask for a picture of your headlight loom connector, to see if I have the required wiring, but I think yours will be different being a 2.5.

Anyone done this on a mk2?

The connectors may be a different shape but they will have the same wiring, by looking in the Haynes manual they do look a very similar shape to me. But not sure if the one the manual is a mk2 or facelift

If your connector has all 10 pins wired up it will be a straight forward plug and play, if not then wiring an earth wire is required as mentioned before

I thought they seemed low but got a mechanic to set them properly and he set they were off by very little. I don't have any levelling adjustment on them at all

How about if you wire the manual headlight adjustment thats on the headlight switch to the electronic adjustment motor on the headlight unit?

That could work but it wouldnt be any good with electrics

• 2 months later...

Need some help please

Anyone know where the headlight levelling control module is located?? I have one on order from the bay but need to know where it plugs into

You cannot retrofit Xenons successfully.

Engine Bay loom, on some models.. first 3 months of production had the full engine bay loom which supported Xenons, Washer fluid level sensor, and washers etc.. the works. So should have sensor wiring for the front if I can remember that is probably on the engine bay loom. IF you have the top end loom.

but ford cheapened up, and only started using this loom where required after, and had cheaper looms made for the non xenon models... you can get them working with wiring mods, but never properly because....

There is 2 of every loom listed for the dashboard, a xenon/adaptive headlamp version and a halogen version, so even if you have all the wiring in the engine bay you wont have the wiring behind the dashboard... so there will be no sensor wiring from the GEM to the module, and no connectors for the module.

its normally connected behind drivers footwell kick panel to the module which is bolted to the door pillar, but a non xenon loom wont even have a connector for it. because going back there was 2 of each different loom a halogen and xenon loom.

No car was made with a xenon loom behind the dash unless it was spec'd with xenon / adaptive head lamps because the reason for 2 different looms is because having xenon loom wiring without a module plugged in probably creates all sorts of CANBUS communication errors because wiring probably goes into module, out the other side and onto next thing.

Then for the rear sensor, will have to double check that but if i can remember was either a separate xenon floor loom or a jumper loom that plugs into main loom.. same jumper loom as used for the diesel additive module etc but with some extra wires for the rear levelling sensor.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Im having ago at fitting Xenon headlights to my Focus CC. Iv'e got the Xenon lamps to light and Im now trying to work out what I need to do to make the leveling motors to work.

Does anyone know what signals/voltages the motors need to function and what pins on the headlamp connector they are feed into?

With a bit of elimination I think pin 7 is (-ve) ground, pin 10 is (+ve) 12v but I can't work out what the other two pins, pins 5 & 9 require.

Strangely I found that pin 5 is low resistance (0.6 ohms) to pin 7 and pin 9 is low resistance (0.6 ohms) to pin 10??

On the halogen headlamps pin 7 is -ve, pin 9 is the signal (0.6v to 12v) from the thumb wheel dash adjuster and the +ve for the motor comes from pin 2 inside the headlamp.

If I can find out what the motors need to move then it should be possible to make a circuit to do it manually.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Geo.

Hi mate

The motors that the xenon units use are completely different to the manual motors. To make this work you would have to change the motors for the halogen ones.

I have just sold my focus so will be selling the parts I have. I have the auto levelling headlight switch and also the auto levelling control module which is mounted up behind the dash near the A pillar. All you would need then is the levelling sensors and to program the GEM to accept the auto levelling system.

you've sold it??

when that happen mate?

you've sold it??

when that happen mate?

this, Haz whats going on matey?

Hi,

Yup after a bit of investigation I have found that the motors in the xenons are 2 phase stepper motors which explains the 4 wires and the motors in the Halogens are servo motors so only 3 wires.

So as my car doesn't have the wiring for the stepper motors then its either make a driving circuit board to run the stepper motors or get some manual type servo motors and fit them into the xenon headlights.

So Haz do you have a set of manual motors for sale??

Geo.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I know this is an old topic now but could do with point in the right direction.

So I've bought a set of xenons off a RS to put on my 56 plate tdci my connector has 7 pins the xenons have 10

Is it still a case of adding an additional earth wire or has it evolved any ? Would any fuses need to be upgraded

If just the case of adding the earth wire would appreciate it if some one could explain to me in lay men's terms how to go about it. As I don't want to damage anything and leave myself with no lights

Thanks

Gaz

Hi mate, I'm not sure on the earth but just a quick question about the lights you've sourced...the RS was only available in the Mk2.5 facelift (from 09 I think), but surely your 56 plate is a Mk2 pre-facelift. Do you mean you got them from a pre-facelift ST? Or have you facelifted your front end maybe?

Not meaning to be pedantic, but just checking that you've sourced the right lights as the RS ones wouldn't fit your pre-facelift as they're completely different shape. Just a heads up in case you don't have them in your possession yet as it would be a nasty surprise when they did arrive.

This may be a possible mod after checking the headlight plug i have all 10 pins with wires

Ah right, that's no worries mate, I was just worried in case you'd mistakenly ordered them or something and were gonna have a major disappointment on your hands when they arrived!

Should fit fine then if you get the wiring sorted. Luckily for me I have the fully populated 10pin loom plug so mine were plug and play, straight swap.

Yeah I've had them in but no working xenon. So just the wiring I'm struggling with at the moment :( I'm gonna go out to the car and see what happens. ( ill keep my I pad on if anyone has any key advise ) :)

Julz- in order to get the xenons to work you need an extra earth wire in port 8 on the plug on your wiring loom and it will work. I fitted them to mine and had to do this little mod to get them lighting.

Hope this helps

Hi how do you go about putting the earth wire on and where from?

I just fed a wire into the port and you can either splice into the earth wire or do what I did and earth it off the body, leaving the loom intact if you ever remove them

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this up from the depths again.

Did anyone make any more progress with fitting the halogen manual level motors?

I have done it on a Kuga. Swapped the motors over to the halogen versions and they work, although I retro fitted a auto levelling system too.

• 3 months later...

if i understand correct i should have the connector with 10 pins to make it work and replace halogen headlights with genuine henon headlights to MKII 2006?