Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I would love to know more as to why it needs to be £1.90, its a shame though as I would need it as I have a 60 mile commute to and from work, and being motorway, I would struggle to get to work (especially with my health!).

However I would happily partake in any uprising, (where I could keep my job!).

Problem is, if we all get around it by public transport, the fee's would go up to compensate the months fuel loss, then the petrol would come down then go back up again.

If I could afford a more economical car (as the government keep insisting on everyone doing) I would do so, but I cant afford to find £20,000.00 for a new car, anymore than I can afford to take part in a strike on fuel, or paying 1.90 a litre for the gold juice!

So I would ask the government this... If I cant afford a more economical car, and I cant afford to pay the petrol to go to work, then I cant work. I cant contribute to society, cant be paid for it, then I need to go on benefits. Which in turn means more lost money from the government, less tax being paid into their fat pockets...

So "what difference could one person make".

Lets say everyone on this forum had to give up their job, or chose to, to prove the point. How much lost revenue would that cause? how much loss in the economy would that cause? business goes bust, more people on the doll, more money the country pays out, less coming in...

So why is it the government think that by putting up the price of fuel that we are all benefitting.

If you cant get to work, and theres no jobs within walking distance, and your on a low wage so cant afford the public transport, how long would it take before the fat cats, and out of touch MP's realise?

How do you see the country in 20 years time? I say if the government keep going as they are, the living arrangements and the dictatorship portayed in "the hunger games" is probably not too far afield...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka Edge
  • Year: 2012

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I passed my test in the '60s when you could buy 4 gallons of petrol for less than a £1. I have always lived within seven miles of my work. I can cycle this on my push bike or use the motorcycle. I decided to move to Lincolnshire and before we sold/bought our house I found a job and bought locally. This time only three miles to work, I could easily walk that.
These days peps travel anything from 20 to 60 miles (and more) to and from their place of work, every working day. Why oh why did you chose to travel all these miles every day did you not expect fuel to go up? I am now retired and have bought an economical to run small Ka. We obey the speed limits and drive with economy in mind. Our little stop/start Ka gives us great fuel economy averaging well over 50mpg. You must remember fuel prices will always rise. You must budget for this its a fact of life.

#33 Maleforce

Maleforce

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI 95

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

It's a tough one, think most of the people are really finding the cost of fuel hard to keep pace with, after we have moved to a super eco car where do we go from there, whats the next economy I just changed cars and went from 23p a mile to just over 10, so I've managed to sort the problem for a while. However once we all do that they will just increase prices even more and increase road tax to we are back to where we started. For me the conclusion is work towards a future away from the Uk,.

#34 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Well, I travel 60 miles a day to work. I moved into my home and had a job that was only a mile up the road, but at a poor wage, and a shocking establishment, I moved onto work somewhere 15 miles away from work. Then wages stayed low, and family came along, and I had to go where the work is. Unfortunately moving home close to work isnt really an option especially at the cost. So I now drive 60 miles a day to work, its got to be done. For me, I have to do it, its the only way to put food on the table, and if I could get the same pay closer to home, with guaranteed job placement (the security I have in my current role) then I would do it. But I hate spenidng a quarter of my wages on fuel, but I would rather pay 25% out of my 100% wage, than pay %0 out of my 0% wage...

#35 fordieashx

fordieashx

Ford Traitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Name: Ashleigh
  • Ford Model: Ex Fiesta Zetec S 30th Anniversary Owner
  • Year: 2008

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Safe to say i feel kinda lucky living in Scotland - well where i live - fuel can be 140.9 for petrol and 148.9 for diesel. After being down at Alton Towers last week petrol was more expensive than our diesel at 149.9! £50 was only just hitting the 3/4 in my boyfriends Audi. It must have been the most economical i've ever seen him drive tbh. ^_^

#36 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sorry to hear that jeebowhite :( When I left school in 1962 you could just walk into any job you pleased, no kidding. If so and so down the road was paying more some peps left at lunch time and started straight away, it was a workers paradise. This went on well into the seventies until Callaghan came to power then it all went down hill :(

#37 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,845 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Diesel is £1.41.9 here in my nearest garage at the moment. :)
Getting a bit cheaper.
But not at the Texaco next door - £1.49.9 - robbing buggers.

#38 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi DaveD, yeah I know what you mean. Being 23, I dont have mounds of experience to walk into any job at the best of time, but with all this recession malarky and the poor climate, its just not easy anymore :( I struggle still, and would happily take a closer to home, well paid job, but right now, I am happy with the job security! thats a lot more than some folk our there will have :(

#39 Kuga Kev

Kuga Kev

KUGA KING

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: KEVIN
  • Ford Model: Ford Kuga Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

I paid 144.9 for diesel in Morrison's in Grays Essex. :huh:

Update it is now 141.9 a little better but still taking the pee me thinks. :huh:

#40 jordan_macgregor

jordan_macgregor

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Name: Jordan
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 [08-10]

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Update it is now 141.9 a little better but still taking the pee me thinks. :huh:

Still totally taking the pee me thinks! Here [dunfermline] it [petrol] actually went up to around 143p, but has now settled at 139p, thank christ!

I totally agree with most of the points everyone is making on this thread...

I think i want to emigrate...will take years from now probably but seriously starting to think about, there's just nothing properous about the UK anymore, like a couple guys said on here, you used to be able to walk into any job, im lucky iv got an apprenticeship with Babcock, tons of my mates are at college/uni and are faced with working in ASDA and such for years before getting a proper job - even with important quals. like civil engineering etc... but im digressing!

Fuel prices are stinkin and i would be more than happy to boycott the feckers for a month!

#41 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

jordan_macgregor...Babcock boilers? I know them from being in the Merchant Navy all them years ago.

#42 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Audi A3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

My local garage is 137.9 for Unleaded. Sounds like pennies compared to what som of you are paying :/

#43 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

That is why we only have one car now a small new fuel efficient Ka. When driven at the legal speed limits the fuel consumption is quite impressive and lets us go for days out. Planning our days out to avoid congestion and rush hours the little Ka is a little gem. Last Friday we had an indicated 90mpg whilst doing 60mph on a A road. Kept it up for almost two miles.

#44 ijustwantafile

ijustwantafile

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Name: mike
  • Ford Model: focus titanium

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

My local garage is 137.9 for Unleaded. Sounds like pennies compared to what som of you are paying :/

mines dropped to 132.7 here. So glad cos I needed to fill up as I'm got a 200mile drive this weekend B) .

#45 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Topped up yesterday 136.9 for Shell fuelsave unleaded... I have recently changed my route to work, as early speculation of the route (Motorway, then A roods) seems to give an impressive return. The live MPG reader rarely dips below 60 MPG :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel price, petrol, government

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users